• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Spitfire If you can't stand the heat....

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
Trying to get a friend to join the forum. In the mean time, he had a question. He owns a spitfire but says it is not all that pleasant to drive in the summer because it gets so darn hot. Haven't seen his car in person, but what are the reason his car would be generating so much heat? And yes, he has the heater tuned off.
Kevin

toysrrus

Yoda
Kevin,

Is the car "Overheating" or simply generating heat from the "Engine & Trans. into the "Cockpit"?

He may try insulating the Trans cover, Floorboards & Footwells with something like "Duramat" or the like to help keep out the heat; If its simply generating heat.

Russ

dklawson

Yoda
As Russ said, it is quite likely to be from the engine heat. A layer of insulation on the floor and transmission tunnel/cover can make a big difference.

Rhodyspit75

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Put a bright light under the closed bonnet when it's dark. You will be able to see all the little spots in the firewall that get hot air forced through them into the cockpit. Plug those holes and as others have said insulate the tunnel and firewall.

Spock

Freshman Member
Country flag
When I first got my TR6 I had exactly the same impression, but in my case it turned out to be a broken heater cable. I could pull the knob on the dash out to turn the heat on and push the knob back in to keep the heat on. Kept wondering why it was so hot with the knob pushed in.

Worth the effort to look under the hood and make sure the valve is being opened/closed in response to the knob movement. I ended up replacing the cable and am currently in the process of replacing the valve (too stiff, causes cables to fail).

rikiwho123

Hi all i've had this problem with my spitfire and added insulation from eastwood which helped but it still got hot so i tried rerouting the heater hose so it didn't have to run through the interior heater and now i'm in the cool no more hot interior and i really don't need a heater because this is my toy and only gets driven in nice weather.

Don_R

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I keep the heater off and put the vent control on heat instead of defrost...lets the outside air go throught the heater box and onto the floor....

also insulated the aftermarket trans tunnel when i installed it......

Trevor Triumph

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I replaced the cardboard transmission cover with an ABS plastic unit and added insulation. The insulation plus the carpet seems to help. Before I rebuilt the other Spitfire, I wondered why my wife complained about her feet getting so hot. Then I saw that the broken cover let the heat from the radiator and the exhaust manifold flow right onto her feet. It was not so bad in January but overwhelming in July.

John