• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Scotland - yes or no?

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Scots go to the polls soon, voting on secession from the United Kingdom. The actual wording is "Should Scotland be an independent country?"

What will the majority vote be:

- Yes for Independence,

- or No and remain in the UK?

cross_of_st_andrew.jpg

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I would guess YES, to be independent, but I really, only think a Scott can answer that question. PJ

Country flag
Months ago there was a considerable difference between the levels of support for the YES and NO positions, but that has steadily eroded and now the two are on a knife edge. One recent poll favors Yes, others still put the No ahead; and the undecided could go either way.

That poll has created major disruptions in the financial markets, with the ÂŁ dropping value and many Scottish based companies seeing their share prices slide; particularly those in the finance sector and with significant cross-border trade.

The YES campaign has been very well run, and the No camp suffered (I think) from being too complacent.

My own situation would be complicated if the YES camp wins.... I was granted permission to live here by the UK Home office, who will effectively become a foreign government then. I presume I'll be "grandfathered" in, but who knows?

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Speaking of difficulties - if YES prevails, and Scotland loses the British pound, then what would the Scottish pound be based on for value?

Tom

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Speaking of difficulties - if YES prevails, and Scotland loses the British pound, then what would the Scottish pound be based on for value?

Tom

Hopefully, not this:

haggis.jpg

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Ya know, I LOVE boudin, which is not that different from haggis!

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
This morning on the news they were suggesting that if Wills and Kate named their next baby 'WILLIAM WALLACE ROBERT BRUCE BURNS' it might help.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Not speaking specifically of Scotland, but any long term established system of government, where a major change of control takes place, could be devastating to a lot of people. Local and state laws, taxes, wages, could all change to a point where peoples lives could change to an unacceptable state. Younger people are easier to except change, older people have more difficulty in doing so. Notice I am saying "could", not necessarily will! The Scottish people will have a big decision to make and do it without any outside help! Tough row to hoe I would say! Don't know what I would do if I had to make that decision. PJ

Country flag
This morning on the news they were suggesting that if Wills and Kate named their next baby 'WILLIAM WALLACE ROBERT BRUCE BURNS' it might help.

Which makes me think of an interesting question, where with the queen go to get away since if they vote yes Balmoral Castle will be in a foreign country. And a residence, could the queen argue for a chance to vote on it??...

Country flag
Balmoral is actually the Queen's private property, not owned by the UK government as the Prime Minister's home at No. 10 or Checquers.

She would stay Queen, just as she remains Queen for Canada, Australia and other former colonies. It would be rather strange for her.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I have wondered about their (future) currency. Whose money would they use?

I have read that they would continue to use the GB Pound. But it seems odd to use the currency of another country. You are at the mercy of some else's valuation.

If they had switched to the Euro when Ireland did (over 10 years ago), things might be OK. But switching right now could be a challenge (to say the least!).

I'm sure James could speak to this better than most of us.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Was on the news this morning. They say it's too close to call! I didn't hear when the voting is over. PJ

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I read yesterday the the election is Sept. 18. I understand the Scots desire for independence but sure have concerns about the economic impact on all our UK friends.

Roger

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Alex Salmond, leader of the Independence movement, has said the Queen will remain head of state, as he would like to revert to the Union of Crowns that existed from 1603 until 1707.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
The Queen would remain head of state for Scotland? Wow - that's a surprise. You'd think "independence" would mean "independence"! (altho' I think the current Queen is one of the most honorable heads of state around.)

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Isn't the Queen Head of State for Canada and Australia?

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Yep - As James Wilson says above, HM Elizabeth II is monarch of Canada and Australia too.

But they're not considering secession from the United Kingdom.

I think part of this is - just exactly what will the two governments (UK and Scotland) do if the YES vote prevails.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Had a very interesting talk with Harris Mann the TR7 guy.
The take over there is
"Let em go"
What are they going to do with money, bringing it in and what currency?.
Not a lot of industry there.Basically 2 things