• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Do You Remember Cheap Gas?

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I believe the cheapest gas I can remember was 19 cents a gallon. There was a gas war on and Merit had gas for 19 cents a gallon, normal was 25 cents! I think that was in 1955. Today :greedy_dollars: PJ

59diamond

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I remember when I was in high school if you had 22 cents you could buy a gallon of gas or a pack of cigaretts. or a jack in the Box hamburger

CaptRandy

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I remember 16.9 cents adn even remember where. At Howard's Garage on York Rd in Willow Grove, PA. With his faithful Lion wandering around the station.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
It was "Jim's Esso" for me, just over 30 cents a gallon, a bit north of Beaver Falls, PA.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
25 cents a gallon for leaded regular in Trenton, NJ in 1968.

I think it was a bit cheaper in some New Jersey rural areas at that time.

As a poor college kid with a Sprite, I would always tell the gas attendant: "Two bucks of the cheap s__t please!"

Often, that would be too much for the 8 gallon tank. :friendly_wink:

New Jersey traditionally has cheaper gas.......it's $3.12/gallon down the street from me today. Plus they put it in for you!

Tybalt

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Until the Yom Kippur War in the fall of 1973 and the subsequent oil embargoes, there were three stations lined up next to each other on the north bound Central Expressway (US 75) service road between Spring Valley and Belt Line Road in Richardson TX that were always trying to knock each other out. The standard low price of the three was 21.9¢. At times they would get down to 19.9¢ or even to 18.9¢ once that I recall. During that period I had at various times a Fiat 1100D, a VW Type III Squareback (both great vehicles for the drive in, wink wink, nudge, nudge, say no more) and an early 3 main MGB (better than I had originally thought at the drive in, but not as roomy as the others, especially that Fiat). I was in the hand the guy two bucks and say fill it or stop it at $2, whichever comes first crowd. Most of the time I got change back.

After that it hung in there ranging from 50¢ to 60¢ a gallon and I remember everybody carrying on about how if gas got to a buck a gallon they'd just have to quit driving. If all those folks were going to quit driving, why is there so much more traffic now?

D

Deleted member 8987

Regular was 24.9 at the Hudson station. Anywhere else, 32, 34, and we'd keep going...too much.
16 gallon tank in the Ford, could not put five bucks in it.
Gas Wars always were fun. Never knew how low it would go.
Flatheads ran fine on Hudson Gas!

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well down in the hills of Arizona, Texaco it weren't but 10 cents a gallon.

OH en we had Rich-Field too.:glee:

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
I used to ride with a friend in his VW Beetle to HS. On the way home we needed gas and stopped at the Shell station 7 miles from home. All we could muster was my quarter. Attendant looked at us like we were nuts. Told him to give us an exact gallon (25 cents) and we would be back in a few minutes to fill up. Got the gallon, drove home and got $5 and came back and filled up. Attendant said "Well, I'll be darn, you did it"

59diamond

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Well I actually paid Zero for gas sometimes. I worked as an attendant at a self serve gas station while I was going to college. I usually closed the station at night. After closing I would roll my 59 BE by the pumps and drain the hoses into my gas tank. I usually got quite a bit of gas out of all the hoses.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I remember when I had a 53 hopped up Harley and I could only use Sunoco 260 in it. It was 67 cents a gallon! :greedy_dollars:. I liked those Sunoco dial up pumps, thought they were cool at the time. PJ

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I miss the smell of leaded gasoline. :smirk:

The local Sunoco station was owned by a pal's dad, we had run of the place. 260 was all I fed the Elan then. That was post-embargo, mid-seventies. He had a tubing bender, we got pretty good at making exhaust bits, too.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
AND 92 octane was considered low. I seem to recall putting 98 in the Austin Healey 100-4 (in about 1972).

I do remember gas wars where it got down to 25 cents or so in about 1968.

Funny, too, that it has taken FOREVER to stop saying "unleaded" for regular. :chuncky:

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Here in SW CT, gas is now hovering around $4/gallon. A bit lower lately and somewhat cheaper east of Norwalk. In the early '50s, it was about 25 cents but there were gas wars on the Berlin Turnpike going towards Hartford where it fell to 17 or 18 cents. (Why is there no cents sign on a computer?) Then, it was "regular or hi-test" and Amoco was the only unleaded gas being sold here. It was supposed to be better - no "lead fouling" and I would run it from time to time in my new TR3. Today gasohol; tomorrow ???

PD