Thread: Installing Power Brakes in BN4, need pics to help locate the Servo Unit installation

Forum to discuss Austin Healey Sports Cars

Freshman Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Installing Power Brakes in BN4, need pics to help locate the Servo Unit installation

Does anyone have an after-market installation to get me pretty definitive positioning of the Servo? Maybe an OEM install on a later model could help? This is the heart of a (to me) massive upgrade starting on my recently acquired SN 73771. Need it very safe for some planned long trips. Already drove it 1,761 miles from place of purchase to my home...

Looks like air piping to heater core from front and its blower assembly location will be a challenge

Thanks
    Better to die than to look bad!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Re: Installing Power Brakes in BN4, need pics to help locate the Servo Unit installat

Does your car have front discs? If not I wouldn't bother with a servo. Leading shoe drum brakes are designed so that they have a servo like effect built into their operation. Servos don't improve braking they just require less pressure. You will also need to change your master cylinder if you install one.

Freshman Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Installing Power Brakes in BN4, need pics to help locate the Servo Unit installat

Have front disc brakes. I think the servo will help for emergency stops, since about everyone else in traffic will have at least power brakes and often ABS. Increased reaction time is an age factor working against me, so I feel any help in the safety arena is good. Just got the wire wheels re-done and new tires put on, rear drums balanced. Yet to be installed also have all new hubs, brake pads, rear brake cylinder kits, wheel bearings, radiator, oil cooler kit and set of shoulder harnesses. Figure it'll take me a couple of months, but I want a sound driver for some long trips. Did 1,760 miles from point of purchase in May, had real hot for 2 days and VERY wet for 2 more, but we loved it. Owned a red '59 100-6 2-seater when we were engaged ~ '65... That's my story

So I'm looking for guidance on the Servo install. The rest is not a problem, just a good bit of time. Car is on jack stands and I have kaboodles of space

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    146 Posts

Check out Rich Berman's gallery. There are a lot of pix and I remember servo mounting pix:
    https://plus.google.com/photos/11008...13397849858337

PS - if you need a servo, I have a brand-new one in the box. Will sell for half the Moss price.
    Steve Gerow
    Altadena, CA, USA
    Maker of most complete Big Healey rear disc kit
    Check out my galleries:
    http://www.pbase.com/stevegerow

Freshman Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks, Steve, this Photo Gallery is an unbelievable treasure trove of information for me, just spent 20 minutes looking and printing a stack of B&W pics, will get color at home as I need. Have not found the servo pics, will look more tomorrow

There is only one other Healey in my town of about 40,000, maybe one more in the County. Talked to owner this weekend, think he needs a servo, will get him link to this site or will contact you for him if he wishes

Otto

Freshman Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As a quick aside, I expect to get a look at the other Healey this week, will cancel this request if my answer is there

Otto

Freshman Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Got a look at the local Healey on 8/26, it's about a '63 or so, not running. I can re-visit it if needed. Got some pics, but need to jack it up for a real look as I get closer to that phase of my upgrade/parts replacement project. If there are any detail shots for a 100-6 available, I would certainly appreciate those, but I think I'm largely on the right track. Probably an illusion, I know

Otto

Luke Skywalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Since the servo is mounted on the footwell wall on the passenger side, there is an angle, there is also an angle in the mounting bracket, and an optimum angle for the servo. IE: not more than x degrees, no less than y degrees. I found you have to bend the bracket to meet these requirements. But I sold that car so I don't have pictures anymore of an aftermarket install.
    Jerry

Freshman Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks, Jerry. I checked the directions that came with the Servo (real men don't read directions, right?) and it does specify that. I'm just intimidated by the size of the available space, I guess. I can think in 3 dimensions flying, but am not good at it under a car. So here I am. Groveling is not pretty, but it usually works

Otto

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    146 Posts

Comprehensive Delphi instructions for mounting the Lockheed servo:
    https://gentry.zxq.net/Remote_Servo_Installation.pdf

Moss evidently no longer lists their installation pdf on their site. If you want a copy, send me a PM.

Both documents show the required angles.

Rich Berman has several pictures of the servo as mounted on what look to be homemade brackets -- though it looks like the end of the servo is too tight against the fender well for good pipe clearance:
    https://plus.google.com/photos/11008...13397849858337
    Scroll down to picture 635 to start.
    Steve Gerow
    Altadena, CA, USA
    Maker of most complete Big Healey rear disc kit
    Check out my galleries:
    http://www.pbase.com/stevegerow

Freshman Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi Steve, hate that you had to walk me up to the blackboard and push my nose on the answer you gave me, but I appreciate your persistence. I somehow missed it in the other two passes I made at the site. Sorted it out late last night, also got some help with the front disc hubs I'm assembling, that is a bit of a wicket. When I had the 100-6 in the '60s I had a great body guy, a great mech and a wire wheel guy right in the Arcata area. Also had none other than Lou Brero (his father was a well-known racer, died in a flaming crash in the then Sandwich Islands - a really bad story) with unending used parts sources, so I did very little work myself. Just tore it up a lot on Highways 101, 299 there and on Highway 199 further North. Redwood Country

So again thank you very much for bearing with me! Have a great weekend!

Otto