• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

bugeye 5 speed

bugeyeks1275

Freshman Member
I'm new to the forum, but have had my bugeye for 20yrs. I originally restored,drove, and enjoyed the car for years. Then kids and other things seemed important. About five years ago the ole bug got a new do, but mecanically stayed the same. At the British car meet at KC this last fall I got a fresh 1275. Then a rivergate 5 speed tranny conversion kit and a datsun 5 speed tranny found their way to my garage. Now, I have a sprite on jack stands getting pretty excited about the future.

Anybody that has done the conversion with anything that might help the swap, the info would be appreciated. Thanks
[/LIST][/LIST]
cheers.gif
cheers.gif
cheers.gif
cheers.gif
cheers.gif
cheers.gif
cheers.gif

spritenut

Luke Skywalker
I have done the Rivergate 5 speed conversion on my own Bugeye and a couple other Sprites.
One trick is not to hammer the dent in the heater box but install the tranny, use a floor jack to jack it up and make a nice neat dimple for the clearance. Another trick is to cut a 5" square hole at the driveshaft/trans area of the floor pan. Later Midgets had this already stamped out, it will cause no damage and can be covered with a metal plateand a couple screws if you really want.
It makes it MUCH easier to get to the speedo cable, drive shaft, and trans mount bolts.
If you did not order the speedo adaptor kit, I can give you a $2 fix for that too.
Once installed, you're gonna love it!

Frank

crliwa

Freshman Member
Hi all Craig from Long Island, My son and I also have a 61 bugeye and purchased a 1275 cc and am interested in installing a datsun 5 speed at the same time.We had the car at Carlisle- it's orange w/rollbar and racing windshields all seams have been removed and welded.
Am I correct that the 210 not the b210 tranny is the right one? any year ok? also what is the conversion kit discussed earlier and wher is it available and approx. price?. I am going to a pick a part later this week to get the tranny-is there anything else I should look for odd the datsun. I am also tempted to upgrade the brakes- any suggestions?
I'm also looking for a grill.
Thanks to all for your advise/help. Craig

OP
B

bugeyeks1275

Freshman Member
Frank, thanks for the info. Do you cut the hole behind the tranny mount in the tunnel cover.
Craig, in my search for a tranny, I found one without the F in the serial # & called Rivergate. They told me that the drain plug was probably in the wrong place. If you are thinking about this, the biggest problem is finding the tranny. Those cars are getting crushed. Good Luck.
I've got everything together and am about ready to install the 1275 and tranny.

DougR

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hey guys, Here's a vouch for the people at Rivergate . Their products are first rate. That's the easy part.* When I did encounter a problem with installation, I was answered with prompt, caring and professional service. I would recommend them. *(not saying a good product is "easy" to create. I think the gauge of a business is how well one deals with PROBLEMS. I EXPECT a good product, I HOPE for good resolution of problems.)

[ 12-04-2002: Message edited by: DougR ]</p>