• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Manure

59diamond

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

Manure... An interesting fact
Manure : In the 16th and 17th centuries, everything had to be transported by ship and it was also before the invention of commercial fertilizers, so large shipments of manure were quite common.

It was shipped dry, because in dry form it weighed a lot less than when wet, but once water (at sea) hit it, not only did it become heavier, but the process of fermentation began again, of which a by product is methane gas of course.
As the stuff was stored below decks in bundles you can see what could (and did) happen.
Methane began to build up below decks and the first time someone came below at night with a lantern, BOOM!

Several ships were destroyed in this manner before it was determined just what was happening
After that, the bundles of manure were always stamped with the instruction ' Stow high in transit ' on them, which meant for the sailors to stow it high enough off the lower decks so that any water that came into the hold would not touch this volatile cargo and start the production of methane.

Thus evolved the term ' S.H.I.T ', (Stow High In Transit) which has come down through the centuries and is in use to this very day.
You probably did not know the true history of this word.
Neither did I.
I had always thought it was a golf term

D

Deleted member 8987

Or the first undeleted expletive out of your pie hole at 0230 when the Lucas quits.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Many different words and phrases came from those sailing days and a lot of people who don't know the true meaning will take offense at them. The balls on a brass monkey is one. A brass monkey is a device made out of brass for storing cannon balls on deck, usually in a pyramid shape. There are many more, but we'll leave them for another time.:highly_amused: PJ

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 8987

like "Bridge, Engine room.....MASSIVE flooding in the engine room!"

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Well Paul, this one isn't really a sailing term. Etymologically speaking the word **** most likely comes from the Old English word Scite (dung), in Middle English the word evolved into Schitte (excrement) and finally into the modern golf term.

D

Deleted member 8987

In automotive parlance, for sure it's a 4-letter word for breaking off that last bleeder screw.....

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
"In automotive parlance, for sure it's a 4-letter word for breaking off that last bleeder screw....."

I tend to reserve a slightly more colorful term for that sort of situation, usually followed by my questioning the parentage of the vehicle I'm wrenching on.

D

Deleted member 8987

"In automotive parlance, for sure it's a 4-letter word for breaking off that last bleeder screw....."

I tend to reserve a slightly more colorful term for that sort of situation, usually followed by my questioning the parentage of the vehicle I'm wrenching on.
I NEVER question the parentage...as it's invariably a Limey Limo.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Replacing the heater control cable in an MGB heater through the small hole on the side, laying on your back, twisted like a pretzel and assuming your doing open heart surgery, does have a tendency to help fabricate some unusual phrases! Especially when it takes 15 minutes to get into position and you remember you forgot a tool needed! If I have to make that repair, I make sure no one else is in the shop and the doors are locked! It does help, somewhat, to pull the right seat. :rolleyes: PJ

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Replacing the heater control cable in an MGB heater through the small hole on the side, laying on your back, twisted like a pretzel and assuming your doing open heart surgery, does have a tendency to help fabricate some unusual phrases! Especially when it takes 15 minutes to get into position...PJ

And an hour or more to get up!

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Kids; try to swap out a slave cylinder on any A-series Sprite and then bleed it afterwards (without lifting the engine off the mounts).

It's like they designed it to be *almost* possible. :rolleye:

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Well Paul, this one isn't really a sailing term. Etymologically speaking the word **** most likely comes from the Old English word Scite (dung), in Middle English the word evolved into Schitte (excrement) and finally into the modern golf term.

Walter, I think this is correct. Still, fun to here all the other so-called origins (include for the other term)... which may well be German.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Kids; try to swap out a slave cylinder on any A-series Sprite and then bleed it afterwards (without lifting the engine off the mounts).

It's like they designed it to be *almost* possible. :rolleye:

One of the most annoying things I've done on my Sprite. Frustrating.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Mark, I had a great professor of Old and Middle English in college, who was a smallish older lady and very knowledgeable of Anglo, Saxon, Old Germanic, and Old English. One day in class someone got up the nerve to ask her if **** originated as shorthand for For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge. Without missing a beat she says "oh no dear, **** is an old Saxon word that means; to thrust." The whole class busted up laughing hearing her so matter of factly tell us the word's origins.

Darwin

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
Now that is the proper golf term Walter

D

Deleted member 8987

Or....clutch master on on old Land Rover. Open manual...."remove left wing"....go to glossary (many decades ago) to see "wing" is down east Limey for "fender".

Pull the freaking wing to change the clutch master?

Yup.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Deleted!

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
DELETED MYSELF. :p