• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Clutch pedal problem- 1275 race car

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
We got back from the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix on Monday, tired (800 miles round trip) but successful despite a problem with the car.

The event runs over two weekends and my clutch pedal has been "low" for the entire event. I've been worried that something would fail, but the car made it through 14 sessions! (although shifting was a bit ugly at times).

Generally I would roll it a bit and then drop into 1st gear. Otherwise it would grind like the dickens. Shifting to 2nd, 3rd and 4th was OK....not great. Basically, it acted like a hydraulic clutch that needed to be bled (although I knew that part was OK).

I couldn't do anything yesterday because we were watching the grand-kids.

Today, I pulled the motor. The problem turned out to be a worn bushing in the clutch release arm. I have a good used one I'll install. And I'll put in a new throw-out bearing and clutch plate while I'm at it. Should be done today or tomorrow.

You can see the worn bushing in the first photo:

Attachments

• DSC_0675.jpg
    DSC_0675.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 116
  • DSC_0669.jpg
    DSC_0669.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 109

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Nial, I think that is past the, "Slightly Worn" stage! :highly_amused: PJ

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I'd say that part has done its job and given its life for the cause.

So I have to ask, how much time does it take you now to remove the engine in a Spridget? I imagine you've got it down to a science.

OP
aeronca65t

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
It's out in about an hour of easy work. I don't make a race out of it.

And yes, this clutch release arm bushing has done it's duty and needs to be retired!

By the way, my car has a roller bearing throw-out bearing. It was installed in a used trans I picked up years ago. I used it as is but I wonder if there was a problem in the geometry of the setup? The roller bearing is much thicker than a carbon bearing but was using the same slave cylinder rod intended for the carbon throw-out bearing.

In any event, I intend to use the correct carbon throw-out bearing and correct rod (2-11/16") with a good used release arm. So all should be back to the factory set up now.

By the way, while I was in Pittsburgh mulling over this problem, I read Gerard's very good write up on Spridget clutches.

If you are working on these cars, it's worth a read. You can see it referenced ~HERE~

David_Doan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
We got back from the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix on Monday, tired (800 miles round trip) but successful despite a problem with the car.

The event runs over two weekends and my clutch pedal has been "low" for the entire event. I've been worried that something would fail, but the car made it through 14 sessions! (although shifting was a bit ugly at times).

Generally I would roll it a bit and then drop into 1st gear. Otherwise it would grind like the dickens. Shifting to 2nd, 3rd and 4th was OK....not great. Basically, it acted like a hydraulic clutch that needed to be bled (although I knew that part was OK).

I couldn't do anything yesterday because we were watching the grand-kids.

Today, I pulled the motor. The problem turned out to be a worn bushing in the clutch release arm. I have a good used one I'll install. And I'll put in a new throw-out bearing and clutch plate while I'm at it. Should be done today or tomorrow.

You can see the worn bushing in the first photo:

Is the red car in the garage a Moke?

nomad

Yoda
Got to watch our local favorites run at Road America this past weekend. Both doing really great and leading their class when both crashed out of the race. The BE got a little too enthusiastic and the midget lost his brakes.

Kurt.

nomad

Yoda
Don't remember the MGB but there were quite a few MGA's. None could match Prather's Mk2.

Kurt

nomad

Yoda
Don't know if you've ever been to RA, Nial, but its a beautiful track. I'm sure that the guy's that made it to "Midget 50" will agree. I don't envy folks coming from the east and having to drive around the tip of the lake and through Chicago though.

A group out of our local club, 'Flatwater Austin Healey', has been going to the vintage races out there every year for quite a while. I was fortunate to have attended quite a few CAN AM races there back "in the day" as they say. Some great sports car road's for me to drive to and from as well.

Kurt.

nomad

Yoda
I can understand the tow but, for me, the drive ain't half bad. Over a 1000 for me. Never been to the east coast track's for a comparison.

Kurt.