• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

General TR SU food

HarryL

Jedi Trainee
What's everyone's favorite oil for their SU's ?
I've been using some leftover marv's mystery oil.
Before that had some chain saw lube.
Have a good weekend watching F1 !
Harry

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I find MMO (or ATF or such) to be too light weight -- smells nice though. I usually just use whatever I put in the crankcase (20W50).

I am equally non-fussy about what I use for chain saw lube.

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Country flag
What's everyone's favorite oil for their SU's ?
I've been using some leftover marv's mystery oil.
Before that had some chain saw lube.
Have a good weekend watching F1 !
Harry

Extra Virgin Olive Oil.......Sorry couldn't resist.:smile-new: Actually I've been using ATF as it seems to have quicker throttle response than motor oil but maybe it's just me.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I did some experiments years ago with my previous TR3A, and decided that straight 20 weight gave the best throttle response. Any thinner than that produced a bit of a lean bog, while 30 or 40 weight was definitely too thick and made it harder to control the engine smoothly.

But straight 20 weight is hard to find these days, so when I got the current TR3 running, I used 20W50, which worked well enough. Almost no noticeable difference when I eventually found a quart of 20 weight and went back to that.

I actually built a crude "vacuum cleaner" from an old mason jar and a cheap venturi vacuum pump from HF, just to make it easier to try different goops without removing the domes. I also eventually learned that my domes have enough slop in the mounts that just R&Ring the dome can affect jet centering! Gently twisting the dome CCW while snugging down the screws seems to make it more repeatable. (I'm sure CW would work just as well.)

PS, no doubt it depends a lot on where you have the base mixture set. If it is a bit on the rich side, then the accelerator pump effect is less important. Ambient temperature will make a difference too, both because the carbs tend to go rich with hot air and because the oil thins out when it gets hot.

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Try the dollar type stores for 20 weight oil. They seem to have a lot of the odd ball stuff that doesn't sell else ware.

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi Folks,

I used to use the Moss (Expensive) blend. When I sold my `57TR3; I gave the bottle away that I had "Forever".

Currently; 20W50. Car runs just fine.

Russ

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Try the dollar type stores for 20 weight oil. They seem to have a lot of the odd ball stuff that doesn't sell else ware.
Interesting idea. I'll try one tomorrow.

RJS

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Tell me if this is strange. I check my dashpots every season and in 14 yrs and 11K miles I don't recall ever having to top them up. How is that possible?

If dashpot oil has to be periodically replenished, where does it go?

Bob

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
On later cars I think there was a seal (or something) at the bottom that could leak -- but on the SUs I am familiar with there is no place for it to go. So why do some people say they need to keep refilling those?

I suspect it is because they are over-filling the reservoir and the excess gets pulled in (as an upper cylinder lube?). When they look again the level has gone down and they top it up and overfill once again.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Depends on how full you fill them. The earlier TR3 manuals say to, in effect, overfill them slightly every 6000 miles. I believe this is so the excess can slowly run down the center shaft and lubricate where it runs against the dome. But the dampers still work fine with the oil level lower and then there is no place for the oil to go.

For SUs anyway. On most TR6 (and Stags etc) with the emission ZS carbs, there is an O-ring seal inside the dashpot that can leak and allow the oil level to drop.

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Country flag
I did some experiments years ago with my previous TR3A, and decided that straight 20 weight gave the best throttle response. Any thinner than that produced a bit of a lean bog, while 30 or 40 weight was definitely too thick and made it harder to control the engine smoothly.

But straight 20 weight is hard to find these days, so when I got the current TR3 running, I used 20W50, which worked well enough. Almost no noticeable difference when I eventually found a quart of 20 weight and went back to that.

I actually built a crude "vacuum cleaner" from an old mason jar and a cheap venturi vacuum pump from HF, just to make it easier to try different goops without removing the domes. I also eventually learned that my domes have enough slop in the mounts that just R&Ring the dome can affect jet centering! Gently twisting the dome CCW while snugging down the screws seems to make it more repeatable. (I'm sure CW would work just as well.)

PS, no doubt it depends a lot on where you have the base mixture set. If it is a bit on the rich side, then the accelerator pump effect is less important. Ambient temperature will make a difference too, both because the carbs tend to go rich with hot air and because the oil thins out when it gets hot.

In Bob Shaller's More BS about TR's he says to get a flat piece of glass or mirror,lay some fine sandpaper on it ,place the dome on that and gently rub the dome on the sandpaper to level out any height inconsistences. That way the the dome will sit square. And make sure to tighten the screws evenly. :smile:

Vila

Jedi Hopeful
3 IN ONE.jpg

I use 3 IN ONE Motor Oil. I am not taking about your normal 3 In One multi-purpose oil.

This stuff is a 3 IN ONE product that comes in a blue / white / black can rather than the normal multi-purpose oil that comes in a red / white / black can and it an be found at most hardware stores or on Amazon.

It is SAE 20 weight and is advertised as being for 1/4 HP or larger electric motors.

It comes in the standard 3 IN ONE can with the nozzle that makes it easy to put in the dashpots.

Vila
1933 Chevrolet
1962 Triumph TR4
1984 BMW 633 CSi

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
In Bob Shaller's More BS about TR's he says to get a flat piece of glass or mirror,lay some fine sandpaper on it ,place the dome on that and gently rub the dome on the sandpaper to level out any height inconsistences. That way the the dome will sit square. And make sure to tighten the screws evenly. :smile:
I've done that; but it doesn't address the dome being a loose fit on the body (and screws). I didn't try to measure it, but I'd guesstimate the slop at around .005", which was enough that the jet would drag or not drag. Might just be my carbs, of course, but they both seem about the same.

luke44

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
On the Spitfire race cars we used to remove the plunger ends altogether and leave the cavities bone dry. For street use any of the above light weight oils are good suggestions.