• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Owner's Handbooks and Windshield Gaskets

mxp01

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Gentlemen:

In June I had the opportunity to actually play around with and drive my TR3B. I'm new to Triumphs, so sort of bumbled through a few things, like putting on my convert top. Anyway, I purchased a Owner's Handbook that is pretty informative, but is missing a few things - such as the proper installation of the soft top. So, can anyone either point me to the preferred Owner's Handbook or give me some instructions for putting on the top?

Also, the car came with some really cool Brookland's Racing Screens. I removed the windshield and drove around with these - real wind-in-your-hair driving! However, where the windshield posts meet the car some of the paint came off, as I noticed there were no gaskets on the posts. I checked the Moss catalogue and found they do not list any. So my question: Are these supposed to have gaskets? Or, do you DIY your own gaskets?

Thanks,

Mike Pennell

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Mike, when you say Owner's Manual, do you mean the Practical Hints for the Maintenance of the Triumph TR3?

That has details on how to set up the soft top.

Tom

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
As I recall, the Practical Hints is a little vague on putting up the top -- good pictures but most of the text is devoted to removing the top.

The one thing not mentioned that often helps is pulling the third bow (from the front) forward to slacken that section of straps, then once the top is attached front and rear, push it home to make everything taut.

I think I went so far as to not attach that last bow to the straps on mine to facilitate this move (been a long time since I have used the top so am not 100% sure).

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Mike - out of curiosity, are you asking how to *fit and install* a new soft top?

or just how to set up the top for use in inclement weather?

OP
M

mxp01

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Gentlemen:

Yes, I am using the "Practical Tips" handbook. And, I agree, it is a bit vague when it comes to directions.

The frame and studs are all installed. I was looking for some guidance on how to regularly put the top on (for example, in the case of inclement weather).

When I first got home the roof was on the car. I removed it for some convertible driving. The challenge came when I went to put it on a second time. I tried first to put the frame up entirely, connect the roof to the back side of the car, pull it over the top of the frame,and then connect the lift-a-dots to the studs on the windshield. That just didn't work (after many failed attempts). I eventually lowered the frame somewhat, hooked the top to the front and rear studs, got inside and pushed the thing up. It was not easy, but it worked. I'm not sure if this is the right way, but has been, so far, the only one I can figure out that works.

My AH Bugeye had a totally removable roofs, but you pushed the frame down slightly and locked in in place. After you put the roof of you got in the car and released two simple locking tabs that released the spring-loaded frame that then went up a few more inches to make it all tight. It took a minute - if you knew what you were doing! I expect that once I know what I'm doing on the TR that roof installation will be simple as well.

MXP

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
... I eventually lowered the frame somewhat, hooked the top to the front and rear studs, got inside and pushed the thing up.,,

I always do the front edge first and if the fit is tight you can uncock the 'knees' a bit until the front and back are snapped on, then press the joints home with the heal of your hand.

Crankshaft

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Geo's tip about "uncocking the knees", is how the dealer taught me in 1962 when I bought a new TR3B.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Geo's tip about "uncocking the knees", is how the dealer taught me in 1962 when I bought a new TR3B.
I don't recall where offhand, but I think I've seen that in one of the books. Anyway, that's the way I've done it for as long as I can recall.

The bit about removing the last bow from the webs and leaving it folded forward is handy for cold weather though. The top shrinks in storage then expands during use. So with the bow folded forward, you can go ahead and lock the doglegs while standing outside the car; then start driving and occasionally push the bow to the rear to tighten up the top as it stretches back out. At least for me, it would stay in position without the help of the webbing. (YMMV)

Of course now, I've been driving for 4-5 years and haven't even bothered to install the pegs for the top yet :smile: And the only top I own is a "bikini" top with all the windows cut out, for use as a sun shade.

OP
M

mxp01

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Gentlemen:

Thanks for the replies. I'll have an opportunity in late August to drive the car again. I'll follow you advice and see how that works.

I watched a short video on youtube of a couple puting up he roof in inclement weather - it still looks a bit difficult.

Thanks,

MXP