• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Is this the proper Boot lid seal?

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Gust got this from the Roadster Factory (item # 608434) and have been working on the drip edge in he boot and decited to lay in the seal to see where I need to do more work and I was surprised to see this seal in he bag. It's like the TR4 seal on my 250's boot lid. I thought all TR3 seals were glued in along the rail? My is a 60 and TS677...

Attachments

• bootseat.jpg
    bootseat.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 180

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Not sure I understand the question. There were two different style seals used on the TR3A, early cars had a square channel that the seal was glued into; while later ones just had a bare edge that the seal fit over. IIRC, the later seal didn't have to be glued into place (although it certainly wouldn't hurt).

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
My post 60k seal had to be glued.I believe earlier cars have seal with cut and mitered corners while the later seal is one piece as in the photo.
Tom

OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I guess my question is I'm not sure this is the correct seal. The lip that it slips over is tall and the new seal doesn't look like it fits correctly. The only ones I have ever seen are glued in and looks like the seal on the spare tire cover. Anyone have pics of early and late installed seals? I can't be 100% sure this is the original rear end from my car. There was not a lot to work with on my original inner tube and I had it sent out to be restored and it is possible that they use a better rear clip. Although I've been driving this car for 30+ years it never had the proper trunk seal. Just a seal from another brand of cars that I had laying around.

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Here are a couple from my early TR3 (56). Seal supplied by TRF. Not great pictures, but hope they help. Cheers, Mike

Boot_4.jpgBoot_2.JPG

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Gust got this from the Roadster Factory (item # 608434) and have been working on the drip edge in he boot and decited to lay in the seal to see where I need to do more work and I was surprised to see this seal in he bag. It's like the TR4 seal on my 250's boot lid. I thought all TR3 seals were glued in along the rail? My is a 60 and TS677...
The seal in the photo looks correct for the late tr3. The other issue is which direction the seal leans. Yours looks correct there also.
charley

Kleykamp

Jedi Trainee
Yep. Looks like my '61. I did not glue mine on, but as stated before, it surely would hurt to glue it. If it has the right amount of "tension" at the corners it should stay in place, but occasionally mine would come loose at the corner. I'd just slip it back over the metal edge. Now that it's been on a while it doesn't move.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
That looks like the correct seal for a 1960. I believe you have it set backwards, though, in the picture. I placed mine so the curvature was outward.

vivdownunder

Jedi Warrior
Some post 60K repro seals won't fit correctly. Often the channel in the seal has to be cut deeper so it can drop down on the raised lip far enough for the trunk lid to close. To glue it down, I run silicone into the deeper channel in the seal, fit it, then lower the trunk lid so it just presses the seal down sufficient for best waterproofing. Allow 24 hrs for the silicone to cure.

Viv

OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Ok thanks all. I will probably put a little weather strip glue on the edge just to add a little insurance it stays put.