• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Windscreen Replacement

78MGB

Jedi Hopeful
Greetings,

Just wondering if replacing the windscreen myself would be worth the effort or not. Assuming I can find a auto glass shop that would replace it on the MGB. Mine is pitted, but does not really bother me except at sun up and sun down. Would also like to know what the ballpark $$$ for doing it yourself, seals etc. and what a fair price to let a pro do would be.

Thanks for the input.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
I just did this last fall. Now, I'm all for doing everything myself, BUT the next time I need an MGB windscreen put in a frame I'm gettin a glass company to do it!
It was a HUGE pain. I had a come-along, and a bottle of silicone,and had to tap out the tiny rusted screws on the bottom corners of the frame. It was a nightmare.
I still can't believe, with the amount of force I had on that frame trying to get it to move the last 1/4 inch to line up the screws, that I diden't break the glass.
It can be done, but be ready for a fight.

John Moore

Luke Skywalker
As Banjo said, doing a MGB windshield is a major PITA. I've done a few and it's not fun, but can be done if you are patient. If you do a search I posted a good article on how to do it. Considering the age of the car, I bet it would be difficult to find a regular windshield place to do it. On newer cars they just glue them in, they would have no idea how to do a B window. I bet you would have to take it to a British Car place. My best guestimate would be $500 for parts and labor to have a brit car shop do it.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
It's too soon after the harrowing experience I had to talk about it!

After assembling everything, the new windshield cracked as I was installing it on the car. Then I decided to use the original (which wasn't too bad after all), and it broke as I was assembling it. I went to a local glass shop and had them order a new one and assemble it for me (I had the new seals and it was already disassembled). Cost me under $300, and was worth it.

Mickey

jhorton3

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
B and Midget windscreens are very similar. Mine's been disassembled for over 8 months. I had a newer piece of glass and new seals to replace. I've made several attempts and don't want to risk breaking the glass. I found a glass shop that'll do it for $100. But that's just putting glass back in, not the whole windshield assembly back on the car.

bobmga62

Jedi Hopeful
Replacing the windscreen on the MGB was without a doubt, one of the worst jobs I have ever done onf a B ...Live with the minor imperfectons if you can..

to get the screeen off, at least on my 73, you had to take apprx a hafl dozen samll bolts off the inside, and remove the dash.. to remove the dash, the only way to reach two of the bolts, is removing the tach and speedometer, and then squeezing your hand in wild contortions within the hole, to reach he bots..

And then, the four major post bolts, never seem to line up, once removed...

again, stay away from this project unless there is no other choice...

r

Radford

Jedi Knight
You know, there is always glass polish. It won't rid your windscreen of all its problems, but it might help.

OP
78MGB

78MGB

Jedi Hopeful
[ QUOTE ]
You know, there is always glass polish. It won't rid your windscreen of all its problems, but it might help.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, tell me more!!!

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag

Radford

Jedi Knight
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, tell me more!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Griot's Garage has two different grades depending on how bad off your screen is. You'll find them at Griotsgarage.com

Ken Miller

Freshman Member
My windscreen was pitted also and I thought replacing it myself would be a good idea. I took the dash loose and removed the frame assembly. I bought a windscreen glass for $155 and my friend and I cracked it just before we finished putting the last couple of screws in. I took it to a glass shop recommended by our local MG shop (Pittsburgh, PA). I was told they broke three before getting the fourth to seat properly. I still have to put it back on the car, but I'm scared to touch it. The glass shop charged me $261 for the job they did. If you can find someone to do the whole job from start to finish, I would. Good luck.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Ken -

Your experience sounds like mine! The good news is that after paying to have it done (which I should have done in the first place) I installed it without a hitch. The only tricky part is the seal between the frame and the body. The new ones are really curled in, and you may want to thread a cord in there that you can pull out to ease the flap into position.

Have fun!

Mickey

Scott_Hower

Luke Skywalker
I replaced the windshield perimeter seal, but not the windshield. I have no earthly idea why I didnt just replace the glass while it was out of the frame; poor planning. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Getting the whole thing back in is easier if you use a long tapered drift/punch to lever the frame down (push the drift into the body hole and wiggle it around until you catch the hole in the frame leg. Push the drift into the leg and CAREFULLY pry it down while you insert the other bolt a couple of threads. It helps if you have about 10 hands. I think I used some sort of clamp to help pull the thing down too using the fat aluminum post "foot".

I remember walking away from it at least twice to think and regain my sanity (and probably consume a cold one).

Eastwood sells a more serious kit for buffing out scratches. It includes a hard felt buff and a tub of rhodite(?) polishing dust. You make a slurry/paste by ading water and then buff using a drill. I got decent results using it. I think I sold it on eBay for about what I paid; there was enough schmutz left for at least 4 or 5 more MG-sized windshields.