• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Horror Story....

G

I went to the grocery store the other day and what was coming my way but a TR6! (the exclamation mark is needed here because I live in a small burg that only has pickup trucks with shotgun racks in the rear window, so spotting another TR6 is like running across your twin, when you know your aren't one) Well, I chased it down and a young black woman was the driver. I immediately recognized the car as one belonging to a club member in another city. (I must be careful here, don't want to anger the original owner) The young woman had just bought the car, actually her husband bought it for her for Mother's Day. She said she had always wanted an MGB and settled on the TR6 when a foriegn car mechanic told her about it. He apparently services their Acura. They live in the larger city and were in our town visiting her mother, and showing off her new prize. (it gets better, bear with me) I have known the car for four years, it has been for sale for that long. The couple paid top dollar. They got screwed. The car looks like it was painted by Earl Scheib, with three different colours in the interior and a pearl paint job (must've not used masking tape, pearl-coloured snaps.) I wanted to see the engine but we couldn't figure out how to open the bonnet, no pull. Under the dash was a birds nest of WalMart wires, the rust was sneaking out from beneath the pearl paint, on and on. I felt so badly for her (I gave her a spare Bentley manuel) and only wish that I could have spoken to her before she bit. And then she kept refering to it as a "TRC". Oy Vey!
She should have bought a Miata. Some people have no scruples. I could never do that to someone, I would make a terrible used car salesman.

Bill

Mark_Gibson

Jedi Trainee
Bill,

I have seen that several times here in Rochester NY in the past few years. People think they got a great deal until you see just what was covered up by paint, undercoating, etc. I had one member of the MG Car Club I belong to pay 7K for a TR-6 that should have been a parts car! One look at the frame and I told him he shouldn't be driving this, you could poke holes in it with your fingers! It's a shame that people try to take advantage of others with asking top price for rolling disasters!

Mark

bigbadbluetr6

Jedi Trainee
Out driving the other day i saw a nice tr6. so i followed the guy to his out to look at the car. he told me the car was for sell. after looking at the floor boards from the interior they looked pretty good. Then i looked under the car at the floor boards or the lack of them. this guy was not a mechanic of any sorts. He said he bought it for 11,500 and was gonna try and sell it for that much. i was like good luck with that one ok not really. this car even had bubbles in the paint. so hopefull if your in Kansas City and you look at a red tr6 look at it real real close and cut the price in atleast half. just my opinion. time for work.

jayhawk

Jedi Warrior
Haven't seen that car, but I looked at an MGB a couple years ago that had perfect new shiny paint (nary a blemish), new interior, top and rebuilt engine by a local shop (with papers).
I drove it only about 30 yards to realize it was structurally unsound and badly misaligned. When I looked underneath it was a rust bucket. I couldn't imagine how the guy would have spent that much on a car without addressing the rust and stucture!

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Mark. Being from "upstate" I'm well aquainted with the rust monster. currently owning 3 TR4A frames all of which need repair. I'm just lucky to have less than $1000 invested between 2 TRs But I have seen some rather poor examples go for stupid money. (I've seen the other way also)
The next time you go to The Old Toad, have a pint of that fine proper british ale for me will ya!