• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

T-Series TF is slowly coming together

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
A lot of work, but is starting to pay off. Had to replace some wood, did a lot of work on the rear quarters after removing them, including removing a lot of Bondo on the right rear quarter. I hate Bondo! Then leaded in some slight deformities. I couldn't believe that I remembered how to lead, but it came back in a short time. Put everything back together and re aligned everything and all fit perfect. Temporarily mounted the windscreen bracket before sending out for re chroming, just in case the holes had to be aligned, as I cut the scuttle weld on the left side to re position it where it should have been in the first place. It came out perfect! Here's a couple shots of the tub without the firewall in place, which is at the media blasters along with the fenders and some other bits. They won't be ready until the following week, so I'm at a slow down point. Get the firewall back and bolted up I can get the tub back on the chassis to align the doors. One of the worst things to do on these cars. Here's some pics. PJ

Some new wood,

Windscreen brackets for temp fit,

New leaded area replacing Bondo,

WillR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
That metal work is beautifully done sir.:applause: Recently my curiosity with the T-Series has been been growing. For me at least you will not be able to over post. Keep the info and pictures coming!:encouragement:

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Very nice work! That will be a fine looking car when you're done.

Keep the photos coming, enjoying going along for the ride with you.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Thanks guys, Seems like I've been working on this thing forever. Reminds me so much of the 1930s American cars I've done over the years with the wooden frame bodies. So wood framing isn't a stranger to me and that helps on these T series cars. I'm beginning to see a very faint light at the end of the tunnel, very faint! :highly_amused: PJ

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Thanks guys, Seems like I've been working on this thing forever. Reminds me so much of the 1930s American cars I've done over the years with the wooden frame bodies. So wood framing isn't a stranger to me and that helps on these T series cars. I'm beginning to see a very faint light at the end of the tunnel, very faint! :highly_amused: PJ

Funny tou should say that - I was just thinking that it looks like a whole different craft with that wood. But, what a great standard of work!

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Thanks JP, long ways to go yet. The folks I chose to do the blasting in Tulsa, specialize in antique and custom cars. They are so busy I won't get my stuff back for another week and a couple of those pieces are holding me up. Their popular around here, reason their in such demand. PJ

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
That metal work is beautifully done sir.:applause: Recently my curiosity with the T-Series has been been growing. For me at least you will not be able to over post. Keep the info and pictures coming!:encouragement:

Will, I advise anyone who is more interested in owning and driving a T series car, is to buy a driver, one that can be put on the road with little or no repairs. That way you can have the best of both worlds. You have something to drive and can work on it at your leisure. I've been working on this car for 4 years and have at least another year to go, if I'm lucky. It was drivable when I bought it, but wanted it for a full restoration, which meant a complete tear down. Cost wise for a complete restoration, I won't even get into that, as the cost of parts for the T series are out of sight! Just a friendly bit of info. PJ

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
[SIZE=-1]Right Door,
Here's the right door and you can see the holes at the top. The holes being drilled by a PO for a tonneau cover. This door is going to take some time to get it perfect. Even though I believe this door was a replacement years ago, it's in sad shape. I ran out of lead, which the two arrow areas has to be leaded in and I'll lead the holes in at the same time. Cant buy the good lead anymore, so I have to go to a junk yard and tell them I need lead to make some fishing sinkers! That way they'll sell it to me. Crazy huh! Only good thing about the doors is, the left door is near perfect! PJ[/SIZE]

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Can't get good lead? What is being sold these days for lead body filler? Something other than lead, I guess.

I think it's funny that lead for fishing weights is OK, but you can't have it for automotive body work.

WillR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Im learning that a T- Series is a far off adventure best saved until Im more com$ortable in life. Though what a gorgeous car.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
We purged a lead supply about a decade ago that would have kept us in "high cotton" for years! Really sorry, Paul! I'd have sent you some for the shipping.

...now I feel like a tur*....

:frown:

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Paul,

I've purchased lead from these guys for other projects. They use USPS flat rate boxes for shipping so shipping costs are good.
https://www.rotometals.com/Lead-Products-s/20.htm

Most of the lead around here has been hoarded by the chronically paranoid.

Chronically paranoid! I know what you mean. If you touch it, you'll fingers will eventually fall off, lead sinkers will effect the fish and make them un eatable! Plus a thousand other reasons why it should not be allowed! Everything has bad points if treated wrong. I don't want to eat it, just fill in a couple dents. Eastwood sells it, but theirs has 30% tin in it and I don't like it for body work but good for putting radiators back together. Thanks for the tip, much appreciated.
Don't feel bad Doc! I've gave the stuff to the junk man before just to get rid of it, as I knew I was done with fixing up junkers! What a joke that was. :highly_amused: I'm still beating on panels, ----- when I could be fishing, or hunting, or camping, or ----- something a little less insane! Well, summer's almost here and I have pastures to mow and fences to fix, plus numerous other farm things, so a slow down on this antique piece of British culture is in the works. PJ

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Sleeping on the ground? In the rain? Is not "less insane" than LBC's :grin:

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
JP, When camping and I use that term loosely, we have 8 wheels under us! :highly_amused: PJ

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Had to replace the battery box with a new one. Had to buy a spot welder to do the job. All came out pretty nice. Impressed. :encouragement: PJ

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Nice work, and you managed to work in a new tool purchase too. Nothing wrong with that.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Nice work, and you managed to work in a new tool purchase too. Nothing wrong with that.

Yeah I know about the new tool purchase LOL! I wouldn't have bought it if someone around here had one I could use, seeing how it'll be on the shelf more than on the bench! :rolleyes2: PJ

WillR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Lookin sweet. Need...more... tools... I have so very few.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Finally got the tub back on the chassis for fitting the doors and other bits. Tried to fit the new side panels and ran into issues. They are too long for one, which I have been informed that this is normal and they have to be cut! The front part is too high and the bottom has to be cut off about 1 inch. Problem with that is, it has a rolled edge! The little step on the bottom behind the shock was bent in the wrong position and has to be cut off and welded aprox 1/4 inch higher. Some holes are missing and have to be located and drilled. All of this sounds pretty normal for some of the sheet metal we get, but for what these cost, there's no reason for any bends to be in the wrong position! Three bolts are holding it now and their positions can't be changed, so a lot of figuring has to be done! There 400 bucks a side and I bought two. My main complaint is, there's no indication that any modifications had to be made to make them fit! A lack of communication is the problem. If I knew that, I would have restored my original panels and saved a bunch of money. Here's some photos of the right panel, the left is still in the box. Now I have to spend hours making them right! I'm not happy about that. Thank goodness I didn't put the new grill on before starting this maneuver! PJ