• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Spitfire The Mother Lode of Spitfire Parts!!!

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
Today I brought home a Spitfire and the ultimate motherlode of Spitfire parts. The car is a rolling '74 with a factory hardtop -- totally stripped for painting, and is about as rust free as I've seen. Just two spots of rust at the rear edge near the tailight cutouts.

But the interesting thing (and why I got the car) is that it came with the mother lode of parts, enough for 4 or 5 cars -- or two truck loads. Essentially, the owner restored seven Spits, and now is ten years out from his last project, and needed to get rid of it all to "move on."

So now I have more parts than I could ever use, so if you need parts for a Spit, I probably have it. I haven't even taken inventory yet, but the highlights:
3 engines, 5 transmissions (2 with overdrive!!!,) 5 radiators, 3 rear axles/suspension assemblies, many front spindles/suspension/brake assemblies, a complete set of wires wheels (on tires,) probably 5 or 6 doors, lenses galore, front and rear corner panels (with the lights,) two extra bonnets (fire damaged with a little rust-- but certainly repairable,) extra manifolds, carbs, guages, 2 steering columns with wheels/signal dippers/ignition cylinders/keys, two windshields, a bunch of steering racks and anti-roll bars, four starters (probably cores,) a bunch of bumpers (one with WA State "SPIT" license plate!) three convertible top bow assemblies, And boxes of small parts and some trim.

Basically, I just don't have any seats or carpet, but probably everything else.

So if you are stuck on your own project and need mechanical parts or stuff let me know. Most of this stuff was taken from working cars, so it's not show quality, but man, I could never use all this in three lifetimes!!! I figured I'd offer to BCF people before ebaying some of the excess to fund the parts I'm missing.

frankenstang57

Jedi Warrior
100_0172.sized.jpg

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gifSweet! I just found this car a few miles from my house. The guy's son was restoring Spits and GT6's. He has a ton of parts as well, but not as many as you apparently have! He has 3 Spits in his back yard,(including the pictured car) with weeds growing around them. The car in the picture is almost 100% rust free, but a basket case. I think I'm headin' over there this weekend to pick it up. I'd be intrested in one of those OD tranmissions! I'll pm you! Hehe, the car in the background is an original 428 Cyclone GT! Can't save 'em all I guess... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Beavis

[ QUOTE ]
two windshields

[/ QUOTE ]

In the case one of them could fit an Mk II GT6+, I'd gladly take one. My windshield is cracked, and since I want my what will be an electric car to look sexy, I can't be having that now.

Also, Reverend Gadget of the Discovery Channel show Monster House is building an electric Spitfire(I'm well acquainted with him from the EV discussion list).

www.reverendgadget.com

Would you mind me alerting him of this in the case he may be able to use some of the parts?

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Hey Sammy, what are the engine sizes?

Radford

Jedi Knight
Sammy, where in the heck are you going to stick this one? Seems to me you were already looking for garage space.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

G

Soon he's going to pull a Jerry Seinfeld and buy a warehouse and have it retrofitted into a parking garage.

OP
S

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
Right now the nice parts are at my house, and the car and the larger parts (engines etc) are at my friend Adam's house.

I have no idea what items are shared between years and GT6s, so maybe some of the great Spitfire minds can assist on the windshield thing.

As for the engine sizes -- I haven't had time to check yet. I know one has holes for the air injection, so it's a later engine. The other ones do not. All apparently ran when pulled.

bluemiata90

Jedi Trainee
I just purchased a 67 spit that came with everything, including the front bumper that was bent like a pretzel. Do you have a front bumper for a 67-69 spit with or without the overriders. I just missed one on ebay last week.

Attachments

• 114518-107_0755.JPG
    114518-107_0755.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 73
OP
S

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
There are like 5 or 6 bumpers. They are over at my friend's house, but I'll check and see which ones are there. I believe there is at least one chrome one.

MGA Steve

Jedi Warrior
[ QUOTE ]
Hehe, the car in the background is an original 428 Cyclone GT! Can't save 'em all I guess... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Forget the Spit . . . SAVE THE CYCLONE GT!!!! I know this is the BCF, but that is a much rarer car than a Spitfire. Seriously, if you don't want the Cyclone (and it is for sale), I will talk to a couple of guys in the Denver Mustang Club about saving it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

OP
S

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
Cyclone Spoiler was the Merc version of the Ford Torino Talledhega -- both were Blue Oval entries into the "aero wars" of NASCAR.

V

vagt6

Thanks, Sammy. Sorry if I was in error on the Torino.

So, was this a homologation car and sold in dealerships? I don't think I've seen one. I do remember 428 Torinos, though.

G

I've seen a picture of a Cyclone Spoiler, never a real one. The Nascar rules at the time I think said they needed to build at least 500 road going examples to use the car in races. I don't know how many Taladehgas or cyclones were built, but 850 something Boss 429 Mustangs were built in 1969 for this purpose (using the engine in Nascar, not the car). I'm sure the numbers are equally low for those cars to. Even if it was just a big block Torino fastback, it would still be worth saving.

bluemiata90

Jedi Trainee
Sammyb, Let me know if you have a front chrome bumper and what you want for it. If you do find one with the overriders, that would be great.
Scott

OP
S

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
I actually put the overriders on Ebay. They're worth so much, it can actually fund a lot of other car stuff!!! I do have a chrome bumper -- I think a couple, actually. They are over at my friend's place, so I'll have to go pick them up and take pix.

bluemiata90

Jedi Trainee
Sammy, If you get some pictures, email them to me at triumph61@hotmail.com. and give me a price for one without the overriders.
thanks
scott