• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New Member from Colorado

one.relic

Freshman Member
Hello everyone, new member and British car owner from Colorado. I picked my first British car up last week, a 1954 Austin A30 project car for my son and I to work on. It doesn't run at the moment (although the previous owner said that the motor did still turn over), and it needs a lot of love, but it has loads of potential. My entire family is excited to start getting into this project, now that the weather is getting better.

I haven't come across a whole lot of communities or boards dedicated to the straight Austin brand, most of the bigger ones seem to be dedicated to the Austin Healey marque, so I'd love to see if any other members here (especially around Colorado) have an old Austin. I look forward to sharing my project as it progresses, and see what sort of knowledge and insight I can gain from others who've already gone through the project stage, and see what (if any) knowledge and insight I can offer.

Here's a couple of the photos from the Craigslist ad I originally found the car through (I've taken a number of others since picking it up, I just haven't uploaded them yet).

CL_ad_1.jpg

CL_ad_2.jpg

CL_ad_3.jpg

CL_ad_4.jpg

CL_ad_5.jpg

CL_ad_7.jpg

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Wow, nothing like jumping in at the deep end! Welcome to the asylum!

For some odd reason, that car reminds me of the old B movie "Used Cars" with Kurt Russell. "Was this a taxi cab?" "No ma'am, that is special primer."
:banana:

OP
O

one.relic

Freshman Member
It's a head first dive indeed.

I don't believe it was a taxi at any point, but its known history seems a bit sparse. The previous owner had driven past it on his way to work/school nearly every day of his life before his dad purchased it with the intent to restore it, that was in 2012. At some point after it made its way into CO, it was used as a parts hauler for a local automotive shop (Jake's). I'm assuming that they are also the ones who hacked the boot lid to an almost unsalvagable spot as well, but I can't say for certain. The guy who owned it after Jake's was the guy who sold it to the guy I bought it from. Beyond that, I know that it hasn't run since 1973, and that's really about it...

Once I get some more work done mechanically on the car, I plan on tracking down some information through the Heritage Motor Centre with a cert and technical specs, and I've also found that you can apply to the DVLA in Britain for ownership information, if it's ever been in the DVLA system.

toysrrus

Yoda
"Welcome" to "THEE" best LBC(Little British Car) Forum anywhere!

if you hav'nt as of yet; Introduce Yourself, Your Son & Your Austin to the "Austin Healey Forum" & meet all the nice folks there. Fire away with your questions, comments etc. & I'm certain you'll get a ton of responses.

Of course; Post pics there as well.

Best wishes to a fun family project.

Russ

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
if you hav'nt as of yet; Introduce Yourself, Your Son & Your Austin to the "Austin Healey Forum"
IMO, you'd be better off in the "Other British Cars" forum. Austin and AH share almost nothing except the name (and being British of course); they were not the same company.

Country flag
Wow!....welcome to the Forum :smile: