• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

April 17, 1964

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
The New York World's Fair!

new-york-world-fair-1964.jpg

And if you were there on April 17, you might have noticed a new model Ford, shown here with Henry Ford Jr:

1964-Ford-Mustang-at-Worlds-Fair-with-Henry-Ford-II.jpg

(To me, the best looking Mustang they ever designed.)

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I have a pair of NY license plates with New York World Fair on them. I have some antique plates from other states also. PJ

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Went with my parents, but not on opening day. I remember really wanting to ride in a new Mustang as it traveled through the Ford Pavilion, but when our turn came up it was a Galaxie :frown-new:
Just saw this article about what future technology the Fair got right: https://nypost.com/2014/04/12/which-technology-the-1964-worlds-fair-got-right/ Pretty interesting, but they're right "Where are the jetpacks we were promised?"

I guess I was a little British car crazy even then, because amongst all the great stuff to look at one of my favorites was the Goldfinger Aston-Martin:

388657.jpg

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
High point of the day! :devilgrin: PJ

Country flag
I also didn't make it for the start, but I was there later in the summer. At the age of 7 my grandmother brought me from Ohio to NY for 5 days to see the fair. Still have memoies of riding the skyride at dark with all the lights, Disney's Small World, The Michelanglo's Pieta and how some of the buildings weren't complete. Quite a trip for a child.

George_H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Although we lived 20 miles from NYC, Mom and Dad were not "city" people. We almost never went there. It was not till years later that I thought about what I "missed". Thinking about it, my brother would have been an infant and my younger sister would have been 2. I guess I will blame them and not Mom.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I took this photo of the Mustang on display at the '64 World's Fair.

Linda and I went back to Flushing Meadows a few years ago to see Maker Faire. We had our photo taken in front of the Unisphere but I don't have that shot handy right now.

1st-mustang.jpg

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag
My only connection with the fair was via IBM. Within their exhibit they had a typewriter terminal attached to a computer that retrieved the New York Times headline for any date keyed in. One of my first programming exercises was to do the same on a later computer (a S/360-30) and to also print them out. I still have the tape with the headlines, the program on punched cards, and a 1-inch thick listing of the headlines. I would have liked to see the fair, though.

Keith_M

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Brings back lots of memories. My first car was a silver-blue (not far off Healey blue) 1965 Mustang with a straight six, 3-speed manual transmission, and wire-wheel hubcaps. I loved that car.

My dad made me sell it for $400 when I went to college.

GaryBeu

Banned
I bought the first Mustang available in Alaska in Fall 1964. I was a senior in high school.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I seem to remember reading about that '64 Impala shoot -
seems that they couldn't get the helicopter back up there to retrieve
her,or the car,because of weather conditions,& the top wouldn't go up
on the car,so she spent the night there,without shelter.

- Doug

Probably I'm just being nostalgic, but I still think some of the old car commercials were the best:

Loved the opening on this one: