• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 Tube Shock Size [front and rear]

VanHalenMan

Okay, Again, I'm at it, replacing things...

I can't find what size these things are... My car has the Tube Shock Conversion on it and I'm really not sure what size to get... front or rear...

My dad is the midwest manager of Car Quest so I can get them pretty cheap. I just don't know what size to get.

I ran a search, nothing...

Or i'm really stupid... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Once again, thank you guys so much, you've helped me HUGE amounts.

-Cartarded 20 year old.

vettedog72

Jedi Knight
Glad you asked as I want to know the "spec's" on the front TR6 shocks (I just converted the rear shocks from the well worn levers and wow, what a difference).

G

Here's an interesting tidbit about the front TR6 shocks. When I did my front end I didn't want to spend the money yet for a nice set of Konis or Spax adjustables, no need for that at this time. But I wanted something a little nicer than the regular old OEM replacements. I've used KYB on all my old Mustangs and a few other cars and they are my favorite cheap shock. Anyway, I wanted a set of them for the front of the TR6 and I couldn't find them anywhere at all, no listings from any suppliers. Finally I gave up and called KYB directly and they told me that yes, they make a shock to fit the front of a TR6, it is the same shock as that listed for a 75-78 Ford Mustang II. The only difference is the bottom steel sleeve that the mounting bolt passes through, that sleeve is much longer for the Mustang application. All I had to do was trim some of the sleeve off each side with a cutoff disk and bingo, perfect fit for the TR6.

Just thought I'd pass this along in case anyone was interested.

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Van, the rear shocks I used after finding the brackets on Ebay were Gabriel 739004 gas shocks and work very well. It took a while to figure the best movement, just be sure to check for clearance on your bracket. Oh, it had another set of numbers on the shock 03 0918, not sure what they are. Wayne

vettedog72

Jedi Knight
LDS
I don't know the "brand" of the conversion brackets but the shocks are KYB's. I bought the conversion packet from a posting on this news group's classified ads. The brackets are painted dark blue (appears original) and the brackets appeared to have never been mounted. Go for the rear tube shocks; they are great. Now, what shocks can I get on the fron with out denting the budget?

vettedog72

Jedi Knight
Dotanukie:
If the width of the bottom "sleeve" is too wide and needs to be narrowed, where is the interference if the sleeve is not narrowed? The KYB's I have on the back are really good for the street but I don't really ring it out.

Yellowdog

The length of the sleeve (mounting bracket) is limited by the distance between the two brackets that bolt up to the bottom of the spring pan.

G

[ QUOTE ]
The length of the sleeve (mounting bracket) is limited by the distance between the two brackets that bolt up to the bottom of the spring pan.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, what he said! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

If your interested I can look up the KYB part # for this shock, I probably have it somewhere. As I said, I've always liked KYB's, you get decent performance for a great price.