• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

General TR What Did You Do to Your Triumph Today?

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
This is a popular topic on another make/marque forum I am on, anything goes, from I autocrossed it at the club autocross, to I put in Iradium spark plugs and waterless coolant, or whatever. Partly social the postings can also provide useful ideas or inspiration to others.

That being said, my answer today "nothing" but I give a long look at my new steering column bushes, but yet again they gave no indication of being inclined to install themselves...

Last edited:

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Installed a new ignition switch, and wanted to have a word :smile:hammer:smile: with the guy who designed the padded surround that goes around the key switch on the TR6. What a royal PITA to get it on/off!
Oiled the trunnions.
Bled the brakes
Cleaned the wheel wells while the tires were off.
Installed the plugs and cleaned the wires.
More tomorrow......

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Our local club had its "almost annual" tour of members shops today. So off I went in my TR4 and toured three other member's shops and then ended the tour at my shop where I am working on a TR3.
Temperature today is about 75 with very light clouds.
Charley

john283

Freshman Member
Country flag
I started tightening up the suspension on the tr3 and decided to change the silent blocks to nylon. Ordered them and a bunch of other parts to the restoration moving along. About 40 and cloudy here. Not quite convertible weather yet.

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Finished sealing the windscreen frame. Put a piece of rubber sound deadning above the tranny tunnel. Also searched for a non-existing OD relay and then looked them up in one of the big three catalogs, price was scary. Posted some stuff on the BCF. Mail came and found that the OD pigtails I had ordered had arrived, fast service.
Had a good day, all in all.

Tinkerman

Trevor Triumph

Jedi Knight
Country flag
We, my wife and owner of the Spitfire, drove to the Caledonian Games in Phoenix. Hours of pipe bands, and avoiding stones and poles. Talked Brit cars for rest of the day. The sky was blue, nice breeze, high in the low eighties. The Morgan and Lotus owners were quite happy. Shoulda used sun screen.

PatGalvin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Installed the dash and finished about half the wiring. Was a great day and am really happy with the way it is turning out.

Pat

BEFORE

AFTER

toysrrus

Yoda
Howdy Folks,

(3-22) "Really Nice Day" here in the NW SC area. Mostly Sunny & about 75deg (About time)!!

"Don"; Layer of Pollen? Really!! Next to nothing here in Pickens??

Anyways; Today, Checked all fluids (Normal procedure before venturing out). A hit with the "California Dust Buster". Top down & off to a friends house for a few pints. Crossed paths with a nice looking "Lotus Elise" in the Pumpkintown / Dacusville, RT. 135 area. Who owns that hot little number???

"Pat": Real nice looking gauge cluster!!

Forecast for wk. of 3-24; Cool / Cold (low to mid 50s). When will it end?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Happy Motoring,

Russ

OP
glemon

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Pat, making your own wiring harness? Are you going Lucas Bullet Connectors or? I guess if I were going to do my own harness an early TR would be a good choice, pretty simple.

PatGalvin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Pat, making your own wiring harness? Are you going Lucas Bullet Connectors or? I guess if I were going to do my own harness an early TR would be a good choice, pretty simple.

Hi Greg. It's the Advance Autowire Harness. I bought it some time ago, thinking that this resto would only take me a couple years. This is about year 7 and I'm trying to bring it to completion. So, with this harness, I have to terminate every wire. More work than I thought. Hardest part is grouping the wires and getting them to look good (same length, careful routing). Would be 20X easier if I just bought a plug-and-play harness. I'm ensuring lots of good grounds and excited to see how she works with modern wiring (relays, fuses, etc.) Hoping to make some real progress today. Art (Martx-5) has been a huge helpl with my wiring problems. Besides being an expert on this stuff, he has the same harness.

Beautiful days here in Sacramento. Almost 80 degrees and yes, a thick layer of yellow dust on everything.

Pat

RJS

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Pushed TR4A from barn to garage. Removed wire wheels to have new tires installed at a small independent shop here in town. They have the correct adapters to mount and computer balance wire wheels. I ordered 165/15 Vredesteins but, they got the "T-Trac", not the "Sprint Classic". So, back again next Saturday.

Still not quite driving weather here in CT. Yesterday was mid 50's and today is 30's with big snow predicted for Tuesday night. While car was in garage though, cleaned her up, polished chrome, checked fluids, fogged cyliners and prepared to start it this afternoon - first since early December when I put it away. Oh, I also inspected and ordered new speedo cable and angle drive. Gave up end of season last year.

Also, started organizing my list of projects for 2014. Pretty usual, top of the list is resealing the engine (oil leaks) and rear drive-line clunk. I had Quantum Mechanics fully rebuild the diff several years ago so hoping it's not that again already. Maybe only u-joints or splines on the axel shafts.

Bob

Last edited:

RJS

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
PS: Triumph started-up like champ today after 4 months under cover. My procedure, after checking everything, is spin engine on freshly charged battery with plugs removed for 10-15 seconds until oil pressure builds. Plugs back in, big shot of starter fluid in air filters, choke on. Crank and the motor fired almost instantly and settled into a nice smooth high idle! Best sound of the year!

Bob

Lou Metelko

Jedi Trainee
I made a big three layer cake for tomorrow's gala celebration for the TR2's sixtieth birthday! The two probably will not be very impressed to be awaken since it will only be in the mid thirties here in NE Indiana tomorrow. Bet it will just grumble something about wake me when it is closer to seventy before going back to snoring loudly.

Lou Metelko
Auburn, Indiana

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
In the 70s here, I took the TR3A out for a maiden drive! A few things to fix but we had a good drive.
Jerry
TR3A

D

DougF

Rebuilt a transmission for future installation in my TR6. OD will be installed as soon as the needed parts come in.