• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Bronze Valve Guides and Seals: To Seal or Not?

Tropical TR

Jedi Hopeful
As part of my TR3A engine/head rebuild, I have had bronze valve guides installed. Yes, I read a lot of the threads about bronze guides and the seals. Most seem to prefer the original cast iron guides and no seals. After reading all of the information, perhaps I would have stayed with cast iron as well, but unfortunately the bronze guides were already installed by that time (with 5/16 exhaust valves, double springs and hardened seats).

Positive reinforcement from other bronze guide users would ease my conscience!

I do understand about the additional clearance required to prevent valve seizure and so does my machine shop guy who has a lot of experience with the bronze guides. However, am very interested in knowing opinions about whether or not to use seals with the bronze guides. The machine shop likes them and generally installs them on their numerous TR3/4 rebuilds, but they did ask me if I want them. After reading opinions out there, I would not use them with the cast iron and would keep it original. However, is there more benefit to the seals with bronze guides and the additional gap required for expansion, at least during warm up?

Regards,

Walter

PKPoole

Country flag
Walter,
I regularly use the bronze guides without valve seals. Never had any problem at all. Good luck. Pat

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
I'm running bronze guides with seals on two engines. No problems at all. My machine shop was aware of the clearance issue and recommended the seals too. I think you'll be fine.

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
They normally don't pump a lot of oil up top so I wouldn't think a seal were necessary but if they can be fitted it won't hurt.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
I'm running bronze guides with appropriate clearance and no seals. Everything is fine. Like Brinkerhoff mentioned, there's not a lot of oil flying around up there.

OP
T

Tropical TR

Jedi Hopeful
Thanks, gentlemen. It looks like I can go either way. Appreciate your experiences. May I ask roughly how many miles you have put on the engines since installing the bronze guides?

Regards,

Walter

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
About 10K on my main car, about 10 ft on the other one as the car isn't done yet!

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
I've got about 4K miles on mine since the restoration.

OP
T

Tropical TR

Jedi Hopeful
Thanks again, gentlemen, for your help.

Regards,

Walter