• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Is this what I think it is?

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
It does look that way but it could be the mod where you bore out the area and put a big bolt in there. Can't really tell.
BillM

macsprite

Definitely yes.Must have forgotten to put the cotter pin in and the fulcrum pin has unscrewed. Should tell him.....

Just sent him an email.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
So anyone tell him yet. This one is getting to some serious numbers? John Felt sold Ladybug last night. Our cars are appreciating rapidly. Spring is coming.

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Yep, I concur...that pin is coming out!
Rut

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
How come if the seat covers are new they are penetrated by cat claws?

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Heater-box top looks a little bashed in. No?
Pretty otherwise.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
But all that work and they painted the engine the seriously wrong color.

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Yes, and the wrong seat covers from a later Sprite were installed!
But the paint looks over the top! No Sprite ever, ever came with paint like that!
Maybe the paint is too good....it does not look the period.
What do others think???
Scott in CA

Jedi Trainee
Yes, and the wrong seat covers from a later Sprite were installed!
But the paint looks over the top! No Sprite ever, ever came with paint like that!
Maybe the paint is too good....it does not look the period.
What do others think???
Scott in CA
I agree! :encouragement:

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Seller reports and says thanks to the BCF Team. Car went on lift this AM to have issue with fulcrum pin corrected. A potentially serious disaster averted due to watchful eyes.

wishbone and fulcrum pin were likely damaged. I told him if pin does not fully seat it will need to be replaced. Threads on wishbone bushings likely damaged as well.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Why do people paint the underside black? :rolleye: Still, a nice-looking car.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Black can sure hide a lot of sibs that is why.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Shame... given the car was completely done-over. Oh well. :smile:

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
$50,000 spent on restoration and they couldn't buy a correct fresh air hose instead of dryer vent, including articulated sheet metal tubing? There's so much wrong for a car in this price range. No dash grab handle, scrap of painted wood as a radio delete plate, no windscreen wipers?... bashed heater, painted brake lines, suspension and frame in engine bay painted black indicates it was all painted in place too. Even the diff housing looks to be painted over all the built up grease. The cobweb hanging from the back underside indicates attention to detail by the seller. The body looks nice in the pix, but the quality of other stuff I see makes me question how well everything else was done. Rotisserie restoration... really?

59diamond

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
All I can say is you guys have good eyes for stuff done wrong. I am slowly learning about stuff, but I don't think I have enough years left or smarts to rise to your level of expertise.
As for $50K spent for restoration, I don't think it is enough. If you guys who do the restoration your self charged yourself $110 an hour to restore your cars you would probably have in excess of $100K in them. I asked my mechanic one time how many hours it would take him to restore a BE from the ground up and he said at least 1000 hours. At $110 an hour you can do the math. So flashing invoices totaling $50K doesn't really impress me, because the 1000 hours is all labor and doesn't include parts etc.
I don't see how you can hire someone who is in the business of restoring cars to restore a car to excellent condition from the ground up and expect to get your money back down the road in a sale.
So my conclusion is to do it for $50K you have to cut a lot of corners to make the math work.

59diamond

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Pardon me but I guess I wasn't finished. In my way of thinking if you could buy old heaps and restore them and sell them at a nice profit there would be shops popping up all over the place. But I only see the Rich and Famous, like Jay Leno paying people to restore cars for them. If Jay ever decided to sell his collection I bet he would take a huge loss.That is why I highly respect people like Scott Macdonald, Jim Gruber, Gerard, Rut Rutledge and others who are putting in the time to do nice restorations, knowing full well that they will never get their sweat equity back when they sell their cars.
If it was the case that you could make every car you acquire perfect then people like BUGEYE GUY would only be selling perfect cars, but even he has categories of cars at different prices depending on what shape they are in and how much it would cost him to make them perfect.
So, I guess I have said my piece about the CAR RESTORATION BUSINESS

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Pardon me but I guess I wasn't finished. In my way of thinking if you could buy old heaps and restore them and sell them at a nice profit there would be shops popping up all over the place. But I only see the Rich and Famous, like Jay Leno paying people to restore cars for them. If Jay ever decided to sell his collection I bet he would take a huge loss.That is why I highly respect people like Scott Macdonald, Jim Gruber, Gerard, Rut Rutledge and others who are putting in the time to do nice restorations, knowing full well that they will never get their sweat equity back when they sell their cars.
If it was the case that you could make every car you acquire perfect then people like BUGEYE GUY would only be selling perfect cars, but even he has categories of cars at different prices depending on what shape they are in and how much it would cost him to make them perfect.
So, I guess I have said my piece about the CAR RESTORATION BUSINESS

No question you are right about making any money restoring "our" cars. You can't, at least not the way I and some others do it. Most people, especially in this category, have the philosophy "if you can't see it, it doesn't matter". or "that's good enough". If you want to make money at it, do it for others who don't have the skill or the time, and appreciate having someone do quality work for them. Consequently, what always baffles me, is the shortsightedness of some thinking you can buy a heap or a rust bucket and end up spending less than buying a well sorted car for a fair price. (fair price being a relative term, I mean good value for the money, NOT as in cheap)