• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 spin on adapter fit problems

Bruce100

Jedi Trainee
Installing a flotec adapter and finding it a tight fit. The end of the oil filter touches just barely the clutch Slave hydraulic line. also touches fuel line on the side but that can be rerouted easily. Am using a pram ph3600 filter. Anyone suggest a shorter filter or have other suggestion? Filter is pointing towards front of car angled down slightly, the only orientation that would work at all
thanks!

bobh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hi Bruce,

I have a Mocal Spin on filter adapter on my TR6. I also use a long filter. With the Mocal you can rotate the adapter plate to avoid any interferance. Mine is between 7:00 and 8:00. Can you rotate your plate downward to a vertical position then rotate it clockwise until the end of the filter clears everything?

BOBH

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
I did the same thing as BobH.
It doesn't hurt a bit to put the filter at an angle..
When I first installed it, I had it tilted to clear the slave, but it was a bit too close to the fuel line..because I had a small hose clamp on the line.
It wasn't touching when the engine was idling, but as the engine torqued or reacted to turns, the clamp dug into the filter.
A small hole, but sooner or later I would have lost significant oil.
When I noticed the drip, I rotated the adaptor clockwise a bit more.

OP
B

Bruce100

Jedi Trainee
I have my filter at about 8 Oclock now - the adaptor rotates just like yours. The hydraulic line from the clutch slave is forming a perfect loop over the rounded top of the filter, touching at the back edge of the top. How close is your hydraulic line, and what filter are you using? I've been looking up filters from the FRAM catalog, and the one I have is 4.92" high. I found another one identical in all other specs, only 4.08" high. Only other choice seems to be mucking with the hydraulic line, which I hadn't planned on :-(.

Anyone know how to compare the specs of the original TR6 filter with any spin on with respect to efficiency/suitability? If the 4.08" filter is far better than the old style that was on it anyway, I won't worry about it being shorter than the PH3600. I only used the PH3600 because I found reference to it on the VTR website. The recommended filters for my adaptor PH9A - don't even show up in Fram's catalog. I will call Fram tomorrow on this

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
The filters I use are cross referenced with the 3600 Fram. Right now it's a TG3600, but I've used NAPA Gold, Bosch, and PureOne.
Spin on filters are pretty good, if you need a shorter one, use it.

OP
B

Bruce100

Jedi Trainee
Ok, I got ahold of FRAM tech support. The obsolete filter recommended by Flotec, the manufacturer of the Spin On adapter, was a PH9A. Fram recommends a PH16 to replace a PH9A. However, the diameter of the PH16 is too large at 3.66" as opposed to 2.98" of the PH3600, which "fits" the adapter well and just clears the engine/frame. So we went back to the PH3600 as a starting point as recommended on the VTR site (but is too tall, hits the clutch hydraulic line). After much discussion, they recommended a Fram PH3614. There is a catalog with specifications, and it shows the same specs as the PH3600, only it is 3.34" tall instead of 4.92" tall. That should clear ok. I asked about the capacity. Wouldn't that be a factor, could we find something a little taller? The tech said that is a common misconception, that height matters <g>. this PH3614 filter is used on a variety of cars and tractors, including 6 cylinders. He suggested if I am wanting to really go all out don't focus on height, but get a better filter, get the TG3614, which is $6.99 at Autozone. So I have a plan that doesn't involve rerouting the clutch hydraulics I believe! Off to Autozone.

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I had the same problems on my TR250. Just turned the adapter slightly and rerouted the lines and it was fine. However I had a problem with the oil filters that have the relief valve on the bottom. My oil pressure gauge was bouncing all over the place. Some told me that the valve in the filter was fighting he oil pressure valve in the engine block. Others said that that valve is only to not let the oil drain back into the block if the oil filter is mounted horizontally when the engine is turned off. So I set out to find a oil filter without the pressure valve. One of my GM dealers let me look and match up my Fram 3600 to one of theirs and low and behold my problem went away. The filter is pictured and I think it is a little shorter too.

Attachments

• 100_0607.jpg
    100_0607.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 73