• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MG... Turn Signal Problem

streetking

Freshman Member
Hello, New Member Here!

I Own a 78 MG Midget, Bought it last Summer. Wonderful Little Car!

Question? I Don't Have a Owners manual, all the Printing on the Dash Switchs are worn off. My Turn Signals did operate normal, till one day i Pushed a Rocker Switch on the Dash, I Believe its for the 4 way Flashers? ( right side of steering in dash area ) Now the turn signals quit?
I checked the operation of the switch i pushed, and it acts very loose...Like i Broke it...BUMMER!!!

Anyone have a Diagram of a Dash Board? so i can see what all switchs are for?

I'm Seriously thinking that that 4 way switch controls the voltage going to the flasher? I think the Flasher is located on the right side under the Dash somewear neer the Kick area?

Any Feed Back Would be GREAT!!

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Hi, welcome! Glad you are here. From your description, you don't have a proper manual, you will need to get one or two. Haynes and Bentley are the best. Each has wiring diagrams. As well, you can buy them off ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MGB-1977-1...anuals_Literature&hash=item3375384cd3&vxp=mtr

that said, if I recall correctly, the signal lights do in fact go through the flashers. Moss will sell you a replacement switch. Good luck and, you are in the right place!

Flash_Harry

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Don't know how closely the Midget and MGB wiring diagrams are, but you could take a look on this site for the relevant year, just in case. If it is close, you can download them and print one out.

https://www.advanceautowire.com/

OP
S

streetking

Freshman Member
Thanks for the Feed Back, Correction! I don't have a Manual, Thats why i'm asking questions. I guess i just need to get a simple owners manual? i found them on ebay for around $19.00 bucks. Then i can see just what switch...Does-What?
Thanks!!!

dklawson

Yoda
Bentley manuals are wonderful if you can find one for a good price. Used ones do show up on eBay from time to time. People complain a lot about Haynes manuals but I believe those complaints often come from people who never tried to use Chiltons or Clymers manuals from the period. Haynes are really not that bad.

The wiring diagrams at the Advance Auto Wire web site linked above are great. Even after you get a manual you will probably find yourself referring to the Advance Auto PDF for its color coding and clarity.

As mentioned above, in Lucas wiring, the hazard and turn signal circuits are tied together with the hazard switch coming "first" in the wiring. If the hazard switch fails you will not have turn signals.

Boggsy64

Jedi Hopeful
I found lots of wiring diagrams online. In my opinion the Bentley wiring diagrams are hands down the best! I just googled "bentley MGB wiring diagram", you can probably do the same.

Boggsy64

Jedi Hopeful
I often also use the Moss Auto parts diagrams (at least the diagrams Moss uses) to put 2 and 2 together for me. I can match the drawings to switches etc.

bob67bgt

Jedi Knight
If you find the signal flasher and run a jumper to the solid green wire terminal (unplug the existing wire) you should have working signals and there will be no 4 way flashers working. That should keep your signals working until you get a flasher switch that works. Better to have signals and no flashers than nothing at all. Bob

dklawson

Yoda
To expand a bit on Bob67bgt's suggestion, look for the green wire going into the turn signal flasher . Run your jumper wire from that terminal on the flasher to the GREEN wire going into the hazard switch. This will bypass the hazard switch and give you working turn signals as he said.

Boggsy64

Jedi Hopeful
I have a question not exactly related but close. How do or has anyone found the correct gauge wire with color striping for wiring repairs? Most all of my harness wiring has cracking insulation and many wires are scratched and broken. I don't want to replace the entire harness but would like to get correct wire colors for repairs.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I have a question not exactly related but close. How do or has anyone found the correct gauge wire with color striping for wiring repairs? Most all of my harness wiring has cracking insulation and many wires are scratched and broken. I don't want to replace the entire harness but would like to get correct wire colors for repairs.

Here ya go - if these guys don't have it, you don't need it:

https://www.britishwiring.com/MG-s/13.htm

dklawson

Yoda
Nice guys at Britishwiring.com. You will find they have most of what you need for your repairs and customization. Whenever I order I make sure to add some extra bullet connectors and the rubber junction sleeves (whatever they are called) for them. I always seem to find a wire or two where the connectors are failing or have failed.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Not sure about the wireharness colours - but, streetking, I just re-read your posts and realized that you are in the wrong forum. I hadn't computed that you are a Midget owner and not a 'B owner - let's get you over to Spridgets (Sprite + Midget) where you belong! (With me BTW)

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Not sure about the wireharness colours - but, streetking, I just re-read your posts and realized that you are in the wrong forum. I hadn't computed that you are a Midget owner and not a 'B owner - let's get you over to Spridgets (Sprite + Midget) where you belong! (With me BTW)

Thanks, J-P - will switch over to the Spridget Forum.

Last edited:

bthompson

Jedi Warrior
The switch to the right side of the steering wheel on the dash is the headlight switch. The hazard switch is in the center console on the left hand side.

OP
S

streetking

Freshman Member
Hello again!

Thanks for all the wonderful advice & feed back. But, my Question was Never Really Answered. I'm unsure just what switch i broke in the Dash Area?? don't really know if it does Link into the Turn-Signals? all the markings on the switchs are worn off, so...i'm un-sure just what it operate's?

I did put a Bid on a Manual,,,ebay,,,Lets see if it will answer my question? Sorry! to bother all of you with such a Lame Question!! should have just ( SHUT-THE-FRONT-DOOR!! ) and Bought a Manual...Lol :highly_amused:

dklawson

Yoda
Can you post a picture of your broken switch? If not, try Googling for a picture that's already online which shows the part and post a link to that picture.

bthompson

Jedi Warrior
Here ya go!

6654870a-9ee0-4164-a733-f8f3fbdc4397.jpg

All the across the dash, from left to right:
- Rotary knob that opens fresh air flap to heater under the bonnet (mechanical connection.)
- Heater fan switch. On/off, to blower under the bonnet. (Off is in UP position.) Labelled FAN.
- Left turn indicator.
- Tachometer.
- Oil pressure/water temperature dual gauge.
- Brake warning light. (Lit by a pressure differential between front and rear.)
- Fuel level gauge.
- Speedometer. (Reset knob for trip odometer below dash under speedo; rotate to reset.)
- Dimmer for dash lights. (Above speedometer.) And aptly named: the lights are dim or dimmer.
- Right turn indicator.
- Headlamp switch. Three positions: up is off, middle is park lights, down is headlights. Labelled LIGHTS.
- Choke knob, at top right. (You probably have the Stromberg water choke instead of a manual choke.)
- Red light is a charging warning light. (Lit by a voltage differential between battery and alternator.)
- Blue light is the high-beam warning light.

Vespa

Country flag
The turn signal, um, signal, routes through the hazard flasher switch. The flasher switch almost never gets used, so the copper contacts inside get corroded. When you turn on the hazard switch, the corrosion can get moved into a position where is stops electrical contact inside the switch. So when you try to use the turn signal switch, so no power goes through the hazard switch, and the turn signal lights don't work. Two solutions. First, flick the hazard switch of and on like 25 times in a row. This will scrape off the corrosion on the hazard switch inner contacts. The turn signal switch should work now. If not, you need to remove the hazard switch, take it apart, and clean it out, or get a new one. It's not hard. :smile:

- Paul B.

dklawson

Yoda
Streetking, if you didn't win the eBay auction, try Amazon. The Haynes manual is a good general manual (in most cases) and it is very affordable.
https://www.amazon.com/Midget-Austi...d=1392773490&sr=8-1&keywords=mg+midget+manual

Bill posted a good picture of a Midget dash above. I couldn't see the hazard switch on it so I went looking for a picture of the switch. The closest I found was the image below. The hazard switch is on the angled console (it looks to be slightly to the left of and above the gearshift knob). Is that the location of the switch that broke on your car?

1979_mg_midget-pic-5104818067095908518.jpg