• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Cutting an access panel into transmission tunnel cover for solenoid adjustment

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Hi guys - anyone ever cut an access panel into their AS plastic transmission tunnel on their TR4a? Ideas is to make getting to the solenoid for adjustment much easier rather than having to remove the whole tunnel.

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag

A TR6....I did make access holes for the speedometer cable replacement and that upper fastener for the starter.

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
I'm trying to remember if it's "Rattle Trap" or some self adhesive heat shield material that I got from Jegs, Tom, one or the other.

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
I have an alternative based on some advice here, as usual.

OK, everyone has their favorite ways and means. For me, I did not want to carve up my vintage tunnel. Don't forget, fitting that 3/16 "bit" into the adjusting arm on the passenger side also requires room. What I did was drill a small hole in the tunnel on that side so that I could move the carpet aside and slide a bit in there for the adjustment. Then, on the driver's side I took some advice from Randall (anyone done that?) and replaced the bolt on the pinch fitting on the operating shaft (solenoid side) with an Allen head screw so that I could tighten and adjust from underneath. So far, all has been great, and I adjusted lying on my back and with the tunnel left on.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Here's a couple of photos of my setup (shown on a spare OD)

On my TR3, I found that I could maneuver a short length of 3/16" rod into the hole with needle nose pliers, so no need to cut a hole there either. The length was important, just barely short enough to fit between the lever and the cover; plus I had to be careful not to push it all the way in (so there was still enough sticking out to grab for removal).

TRMark

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
I sliced the cover and riveted a piece of aluminum flat stock to the main cover sealed with automotive silicon. I let the silicon dry on the exposed side of the flange to form a gasket of sorts and fit the rear piece on the flange. Seems to seal well enough. Other side shown in my photo page on the BCF

attachment.php

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Interesting guys, thanks. I'm debating sectioning the tunnel similar to Mark, would seem to provide good access. Anything you'd do differently Mark? Anyone else with pro/con ideas to that?

Thanks!

TRMark

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
Anything you'd do differently Mark? Anyone else with pro/con ideas to that?

Thanks!

No, it seems to work fine, not exactly elegant but the carpet covers it. If you look on my photo page on the BCF you will see the photo of the other side where I used a sheet metal screw to secure the bottom near the cut.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
On the drivers side I cut a hole for serving the solenoid and another for accessing the fill plug.

TunnelHoles_zpsff744566.jpg

On the passenger side I did one for the angle drive and adjustment (don't seem to have a photo.

The fill plug hole is covered with the usual TR rubber plug, the other two with plates formed from sheet aluminum.