• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 door panels

sundown

Jedi Hopeful
Hi All, Well it's Feb 2 time to get at the TR. Is there any members out there that have a certain trick to holding the springs behind the door panels so they can snapped back in place Thanks

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Do you mean the springs for the interior door handles? Don't those go under the plastic ring/cover and not behind the door panel?

Scott

Vila

Jedi Hopeful
No, the springs go behind the door panels.

I don't recall exactly what the springs look like on the TR6, but if they are the same as those on my TR4 then they should stay in place if you put them on the proper way until you get the door panel on.

The springs on the TR4 are a cone shape spring and the smaller diameter end should go on the window and door stubs first, leaving the larger diameter end towards the door panel.

I just looked at my original door panels I took off my TR4 and replaced with new ones during the restoration and you can see the impression of the large diameter end of the original springs on the back side of the door panels. The purpose of the springs is to hold the door panels out against the plastic door handle bezels and handles. If the spring was on the front side of the doors you would end up with a large gap between the handle and door panel over time.

My 1933 Chevrolet uses the same exact setup.

door spring.jpg
This is for a TR4. The door panel goes between the spring and handle bezel in the graphic and you can see the proper orientation of the spring.

Vila
1933 Chevrolet
1962 Triumph TR4
1984 BMW 633 CSi

Vila

Jedi Hopeful
They press against the back of the door panels to keep the panels snug against the door handle bezels, otherwise over time you may end up with a gap between the panels and door handles, if the panels begin to bow in.

Some people install them backwards, with the small diameter end towards the door panels, then wonder why they work their way through the panel holes.

Vila
1933 Chevrolet
1962 Triumph TR4
1984 BMW 633 CSi