• This "National Events" forum is expressly for posting national events that would be of interest to British car enthusiasts. You post an event in the same way that you would post a regular thread. Be sure your event post includes:
    • Title of the Event
    • Location of Event
    • Date(s) of the Event
    • Point of contact for Event
    • Website, Facebook Link, etc., if available
    IMPORTANT: Be sure to add the event to our Events Calendar. It's easy - WATCH VIDEO to learn how.
  • The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Anyone from the northeast going to the 2014 VTR in Dobson NC

TomChar

Country flag
Hello all and Happy New year!

We're thinking about going to the 2014 VTR National Convention in Dobson, NC this September in my '74 TR6, and driving down via Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway. As I'm from the Philadelphia PA area, this journey is right in line with getting there, although it will add significant time to the trip. Now this is a completely informal idea, and not associated with VTR in anyway.

And so we were wondering if anyone else would care to join us on the trip. My plan would be to get to Front Royal, VA by Sunday evening, Sept 7th, for dinner, and then start around 8am and drive all day to Dobson on the 8th. From the start of Skyline Drive in Front Royal to where the Blue Ridge Parkway meets I-77 in Virginia, about 28 miles north of Shelton Vineyards in Dobson, is a little over 300 miles and an estimated 9 hours of driving time. Here's a Google map of the trip. Of course, anyone wanting to join anywhere along the way would be welcome. I think the weather at that time of year could be great for scenic top down drive.

Let's start a discussion here, we've got eight months to make this quite a run of Triumphs!

I was also planning to ship my luggage so I can fit tools & parts in the trunk :smile:

Tom & Char

OP
TomChar

TomChar

Country flag
I just noticed that the VTR Registration website is open, and I'm beginning to plan my trip. As this will be my first VTR event, I was hoping someone might be able to give some details about some of the events they are offering. My car is certainly not competitive in any of the show events, nor am I competitive in the Autocross or hill climb events, but I wanted to do either the TSD or Fun Rally. Since they on the same day, you can't do both. Any advice on which might be more enjoyable, from whatever perspective?

And Clint, was your crew planning driving your cars from Boston? It'd be fun to share the ride.

Tom

DART

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Tom- not going for obvious reasons, but will add that we used the BR & Skyline to come back from The Gathering car show at Shelton/Dobson last April. BR wasn't crowded at that time of year and we were in Front Royal by 5 or so. Then took Sky up to cutoff to Charles Town and went thru Harpers Ferry to Frederick and back way to Baltimore. Was going to repeat this year but the host hotel sold out in Feb. Make your res asap if you haven't already. I think there are 3 "host" hotels, you will want the one the Vineyard owns if possible. The vineyard grounds are a great venue.

TheWedgeshop

Tom,

Yes we will be leaving from Boston and happy to have you cruise down with us. Keep an eye on this link ( The Wedge Shop info ) as I will be updating with our specific plans for travel and the trip.

I just noticed that the VTR Registration website is open, and I'm beginning to plan my trip. As this will be my first VTR event, I was hoping someone might be able to give some details about some of the events they are offering. My car is certainly not competitive in any of the show events, nor am I competitive in the Autocross or hill climb events, but I wanted to do either the TSD or Fun Rally. Since they on the same day, you can't do both. Any advice on which might be more enjoyable, from whatever perspective?

And Clint, was your crew planning driving your cars from Boston? It'd be fun to share the ride.

Tom

Gordon_Dedrick

Jedi Trainee
For more information on this exciting event please see the website......www.VTR2014. Also check out the video with the same title on you-tube. The Triumph Club of the Carolinas is proud to be sponsoring the event this year.

Gordon_Dedrick

Jedi Trainee
Special Guests Harris Mann and Graham Robson will be attending VTR 2014. This will be TR7 Designer Harris Mann's first appearance at a North America Triumph Event. First 2 hotels are sold out. We'll be planning on adding a 4th if needed. Register Now it's going to be a fabulous week!
Gordon

Gordon_Dedrick

Jedi Trainee

Tom

Tom
I just came home from a planning meeting for this event. This will be my first VTR Convention as well and I am a member of the host club! You need to know that while there will be some VERY competitive folks there we are approaching this week as a chance to share what we have to offer with all our Triumph friends from North America. You will be able to complete two events in one day if that is your wish. The Carolinas Cup is awarded each year to whoever has participated the MOST......not necessarily to the top finisher. Hill-climb, funkhana, TSD Rally, Autocross, participants choice or concourse show, some scenic drives on the Blue Ridge Parkway........it will be Totally up to you to decide what you wish to participate in. The week has been set up so you can really do them all if you wish to! Were gonn'a try to wear you out driving your car! The Triumph Club of the Carolinas looks forward to entertaining you and give you the chance to meet some new TR friends. I look forward to meeting you there!
Gordon

TheWedgeshop

The event is getting closer. Below is the schedule for The Wedge Shop group.

Our details will be posted here and be updated live.
https://thebritishcar.com/showthread.php?2406-VTR-Nation-Convention-2014-Dobson-NC-September-9-14

Key events -
Looking to schedule a dinner with the TWOA on Thursday night
We have organized some drag racing on Friday night at a local drag strip, separate from the VTR. All are welcome to join.

Tuesday - Boston group to leave early Tuesday morning (3-4am). Drive through the day down to Dobson, NC.
Wednesday - Relax during the day. Tech inspections for events. Welcome dinner put on by VTR 6pm-10pm
Thursday - Vintage Hill Climb during the day. Dinner with TWOA, location TBD.
Friday - Car Show during the day. Drag Racing from 5pm at Elk Creek Dragway
Saturday - Auto-x during the day. Awards banquet and dinner at night hosted by VTR
Sunday - Head home

www.thewedgeshop.com

Last edited:

Gordon_Dedrick

Jedi Trainee
Over on the Triumph Forum you will see a photo of Bob Tullius who is ALSO going to be attending this years event. We have some great names as well as great events planned. Still time to register at "early rates". Come Back to the Blue Ridge for some fun this September!
Gordon
Triumph Club of the Carolinas

Gordon_Dedrick

Jedi Trainee
JUST TWO DAYS LEFT...........to register at reduced prices for VTR 2014 ! Drive the glorius Blue Ridge Parkway, experience the Victoria British Hill Climb Event, get the chance to meet Triumph TR7 designer Harris Mann and Group 44 Racers all in and around Shelton Vineyards, one of the most beautiful venues you will ever see.

Hope to see you there!

Gordon Dedrick