• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New Guy with a sprite... Sorta

anarchy99

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I guess I should make an intro post, I've been working on this car for a few months and loved driving the crap out of it but like a lot of people, I can't leave anything well enough alone. I was building a LS6 powered Austin Healey sprite and learning a lot but hopped on ebay one day and found one with a sbc in it that was already built to handle it and built very well I may add. The car didn't look like much but had a fully built frame/bracing under it and custom suspension, as well as a SBC and th-400.I drove the car daily for about a month and then decided I needed to improve on it. It was built in 1974 originally and lacked a little of the modern flare, not to mention the very retro look. Getting a lot done and hope to have it back up and running under the new power in a month to 6 weeks, but military keeps me busy so I make progress where I can.
first 2 pics are videos, click on them to watch....

sorry for the long intro post... you get the idea, getting a lot done still so a lot more to follow

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi There anarchy,

Happy New Year & "Welcome" to "THEE" best LBC (Little British Cars) site anywhere.

You should probably introduce Yourself to the "Spridget" & or "Racing" Forums here. I beleive you`ll find alot of Int. cars & people you can chat with.

Best Wishes,

Russ

OP
anarchy99

anarchy99

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
awesome, I appreciate it, I've gotten alot done on this one and alot more to follow here soon.

on a side note, I'm looking heavily into upgraded front brakes and I was about to pull the trigger here soon on the ebay big brakes setup but wanted to check to see if there was a cheaper but just as good option.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
My word that's a wicked looking car. Very neat.

What's the transmission shifter? Lenco?

OP
anarchy99

anarchy99

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I got it custom made by a guy on ebay, kilduf...it's very heavy duty and well made, the transmission is a built 200-4r. Heres the shifter in action, its a video so you have to click on the pic to play it.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
That's very cool. A bunch of levers for a little car!

Country flag
Are you looking at the brakes from ol'pharzt parts?

OP
anarchy99

anarchy99

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Are you looking at the brakes from ol'pharzt parts?

Yeah, those look to be the ones... I was mainly wondering if anyone knew of anything else that was comparable or even better but would allow me to keep a 13 inch wheel. Of course, if anyone knows where to get them cheaper that would be great also.

Country flag
Those kits are made by Steve Christiansen as far as I know. There are other options. The similar kits have a similar price. There are also kits that use spitfire rotors and MGB calipers, but they are reported to be aggravating to install and do not offer much benefit over the stock set up.

You might contact Steve about more details on his kit and ask him if he has a non-ebay cash price. Assuming you are willing to wait for the funds to clear before getting the kit.

OP
anarchy99

anarchy99

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Yeah, here in a few weeks I may be looking to order, I'll get in touch with him via ebay unless he has an account on this forum. Just ordered my gauges so once they are here all the dash stuff will be taken care of.

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
I played the first video for my stock '69 Sprite, and it peed itself. :emmersed: That is one mean looking and sounding ride.

The Hurst/Olds had a similar "Triple Stick" set up. IIRC, the rationale behind it was to prevent overshooting the next gear or popping into neutral by mistake.

Country flag
I'll send his email to you via private message.

OP
anarchy99

anarchy99

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I'll send his email to you via private message.

I appreciate it, I'm going to hit him up here in a week or 2, should be able to get them next paycheck... ****, maybe at the very least he can give a military discount, worth a try...
Here's another video of the car before I pulled the SBC out of it. Not going back with sidepipes, going to route it under the car, but should be just as loud and aggressive sounding. click on pic to play video

OP
anarchy99

anarchy99

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I just got my exhaust in the mail, nothing fancy, just ebay specials but they look good and will do the job. I've got 2 options for mounting, let me know which one looks best, option 1 or 2.

option 2

Country flag
Option 2.

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
I like #2 as well.
Rut

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag