• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

bugeye locking trunk panel

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
At a British car show in Portland, I saw one bugeye with a locking trunk panel. There is currently one for sale on Ebay, but after one day, it is already up to $250 and will soon be way out of my budget. They look easy to make. Does anyone happen to know of a source for a pattern for these? Has anyone ever made one of these themselves?
Kevin

Hot Wings

Has anyone ever made one of these themselves?

I've not done so but had planned to make something similar for my project. The idea was to reduce the cockpit volume to make heating better for winter use, not for lockable storage. Now that I see someone has already worked out the basic configuration I'll have something to copy that serves a dual purpose. Looks like a pretty basic project that shouldn't take a lot of effort. I think I'd prefer a composite sandwich construction rather than the Birch plywood. It would be lighter and longer lasting.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
So us there a picture of same? Curious.

Whitephrog

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
$_57.JPG

paulsherman

Jedi Trainee
Ray, do you have, or can you make me/us a paper pattern? A few years ago, you sent me paper patterns for all of the other panels, which I have rough cut into 1/8" Masonite panels, ready for final fitting and then vinyl covering. This is still part of my THIS WINTER projects, but time is fleeting and I am procrastinating.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Ray is that a commercially produced item that is still available or a custom one off? Thinking access to remove tire as needed might be tough. I'd want it set up with some sort of internal clips, latches to make it easily removable but still somewhat secure and hidden but still be able to easily wrangle the spare out if needed.

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Ray is that a commercially produced item that is still available or a custom one off? Thinking access to remove tire as needed might be tough. I'd want it set up with some sort of internal clips, latches to make it easily removable but still somewhat secure and hidden but still be able to easily wrangle the spare out if needed.

I had a friend with one of these. Pretty nicely made, but it's something that was available decades ago. It was well over 10 years since I have seen it, and he had bought NOS even before that. What was available NOS was sold long ago, so the only source is something like this embay auction where someone is parting with one.

AN5Sprite

Jedi Knight
That piece looks symmetrical and flat so it would be very easy to make your own pattern.

1. Scribe one side of the wheel arch etc on some card stock with a pencil compass to make a 1/2 pattern
2. make it fit nice
3. check fit on other side
4. measure distance side to side
5. on some 1/8" MDF or tempered hardboard, trace 1/2 pattern, measure over and trace pattern on other side...

Use this piece as a full size pattern if you want to make it out of something stronger.

Cut, fit, make door, hinge, lock, trim etc.

Boom done!

Whitephrog

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Ray, do you have, or can you make me/us a paper pattern? A few years ago, you sent me paper patterns for all of the other panels, which I have rough cut into 1/8" Masonite panels, ready for final fitting and then vinyl covering. This is still part of my THIS WINTER projects, but time is fleeting and I am procrastinating.

Not mine. This is a photo of the one available on eBay.

mightymidget

Jedi Knight
masonite asbords moister and will grow (warp,bow) during high moisture air content. a 1/4 lauon would work well, especial in a hardwood as mention in earlier post

sqbsprite

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
BMC had a good fix for this problem. They called it the Mk. II. Sorry I couldn't resist. Seriously, it does look easy to make. I think the opening would be large enough to get to the spare. Use some stiff cardboard to make a pattern and transfer it to lauan plywood. I would be tempted to use a piano hinge across the bottom. and an X brace on the back of the door.

pbraun

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
This thread is a bit old, but anyway............ I am investigating building an opening trunk lid. Has anyone done this recently? I am wondering how a MK II lid would adapt to a bugeye?

nomad

Yoda
My bug eye has stud's for a short tonneau. I always figured on the right tonneau or a specially made up piece would isolate the rear fairly well. Plenty of noise comes from back there as well.

Kurt.

lewmac

Hi Gerard,
Just realized this is an old thread ! But I had saved this and a few other pics, must have been from that eBay advert ......

Bugeye rear boot locking panel 1.jpgBugeye rear boot locking panel 2.jpg
Cheers
Lew

pbraun

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
That's very nice for a front closure. Frankly, I don't care about security, I just want to get stuff in and out of the boot area with greater ease. So, I got a used Mk II trunk lid. $75. With hinges and handle. Cut off about 3" from the bottom.

It actually fits up to the bugeye pretty good, in terms of conformity to the body lines. Will have to do some reinforcing I think, and make a drip channel, but I think this will work. Pictures coming soon.

pbraun

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
OK, so here is the template, and the bit cut off the Mk II lid.
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• 19119335719_44cd0c721e_o.jpg
    19119335719_44cd0c721e_o.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 180
  • 19117875078_3427cb4771_o.jpg
    19117875078_3427cb4771_o.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 172

pbraun

Jedi Warrior
Silver