• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A anyone know what this valve is and where it goes on a TR3a?

2billydavies

was going through a small box of parts, and came across this brass valve. I have no idea where it came from or where it goes on my TR3a. Anyone have any idea? Thanks!

IMAG0426.jpgIMAG0427.jpg

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
There is a spring inside the tap which keeps pressure on the taper fitting and is supposed to make it not leak. Most of the time, that is true.
Jerry

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
The spring is on the outside, and visible in the photo.

What I can't tell is whether the threads are tapered or not. If they are tapered (pipe threads), then it might be the radiator drain tap instead of the block drain tap.

OP
2billydavies

2billydavies

thanks guys.... definitely not the radiator plug. completely different size and design. i'm going to check out the area around the oil filter. i have no clue where it came from other then on this car somewhere. thanks for the ideas/starting points!

OP
2billydavies

2billydavies

Looks like KLeykamp was right.... fits right above the starter motor.
Here's my next question. Actually 2.

I have another one of these things in my "parts" box. Thanks to Kleykamp, I found the first one above the starter motor. Is there another spot to screw in the second one?? Or is this other one I have a spare that I picked up along the way? They are EXACTLY alike.

Last question: what the heck is this thing for? Does it just drain the water out of the main part of the engine??

Thanks everyone... I"m almost at the point of turning the key....

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
It's a spare then - only one on the block. But the original radiator plug did look nearly the same originally as Randall mentioned earlier - so it may go on the radiator if it had been pulled for a modern style plug.

The block drain does what what you think - drains the main part of the engine, if you are lucky that is - quite often the back part of the block gets plugged up with sludge so its good to flush out from that drain from time to time.

OP
2billydavies

2billydavies

well, looks like you were right. the spare one i had does go into the bottom of the radiator. looks like my father may have replaced it years ago with a screw-type valve rather than the spare i have. thanks a ton... huge help!

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
They're easy enough to fix, though. Remove the cotter pin, spring and washers from the bottom, paying attention to which way the movement limiting washer goes. Remove the tapered core and paint it with a fine abrasive (ISTR I used rubbing compound or maybe jeweler's rouge), then put it back into the body and turn back and forth, lifting occasionally to distribute the abrasive. A lot like grinding valves (which is basically what you are doing). After the abrasive turns dark, disassemble, clean and inspect. Once it's shiny all around, you're done. Give it a coat of silicone grease and put it back together, making sure there is good tension from the spring "as installed". I had to replace the springs, by cutting lengths from a hardware store spring, with a Dremel & cutoff blade. I also replaced the flat washers, with stock 10-32 washers IIRC; and of course the cotter pins.

GTP1960

Jedi Knight
The block drain does what what you think - drains the main part of the engine, if you are lucky that is - quite often the back part of the block gets plugged up with sludge so its good to flush out from that drain from time to time.[/QUOTE]

If you back flush from the block drain, do you have to be careful about pressure?
or can you just rig up a garden hose connection & turn it on?

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I would be wary about city water pressure if the heater core is still in the loop. If you are just working with the block then I'd say have at it.

You can sometimes remove the valve and work a length of wire or bamboo skewer or what have you in there to loosen up sediment - though a more effective clean out (short of removing the liners) was a lipo-suction using a length of small brass tubing and a shop-vac with the head off and the tubing inserted into the various openings into the coolant jacket.