• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Walther PPK

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I am thinking of picking up a smaller automatic pistol than my 1911, and I am leaning towards a PPK in .380. Anyone have any experience with Walthers? The only one I have ever messed with was an uncle's P38 years and years ago.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
A P-38 was the first pistol I ever shot. Dad's "bring-back" from WW-II. Was taught gun safety at age 12 or so. Been a Walther fan ever since. :wink:

The PPK in .380 can be a bit "rappy." The PPK was designed as a .32, it will work every time and you can be surprisingly accurate with it.

The extra mass in the PPK/S frame makes it a better piece for .380ACP, IMHO. A blued W.German PPK/S in .380 is what I've had since about '77, now have two stainless ones... "His-n-Hers.."

His_n_Hers.JPG

G

Made outta steel by folk that know what steel's supposed to taste like, what's not to like?....:encouragement:

....not to mention favored by Mr. Bond

There is a smaller 1911 in .380 but I never did like cocked and locked for such a small size. If all-steel is you thing they are hard to beat (Walther). There are less expensive surplus copies that are nice too. They won't have the finish but will be just as reliable. Here' some but in 9X18 (9mm Makarov) which is in between .380 and 9mm Luger in power. A bit odd-ball but can be purchased locally in a lot of places and somewhat cheap in bulk surplus. They can be found in .380 as well.

https://www.classicfirearms.com/hand-guns/polish-radom-p-64-pistols , https://www.classicfirearms.com/hand-guns/cz-82-pistols .

Anything steel made by Walther, CZ , Random or Zastava won't let you down. I believe all will continue to rise in value.

If you care to go polymer, there is a TON of new stuff out there in .380 and 9mm. I have a Kel-Tec in .380 and I really like it. Inexpensive but made well enough to depend on. Kelly has one in .32. Best of all you forget it's in your pocket. (CCW permitted of course..) Springfields XDS in 9 or 45 is tough to beat but slightly bulkier than other .380/9 poly models. I have a XDM 4.5 in .40 that I really like. Check out the CZ P-01 (both 9 and 40). IMO they are the way to go for compact CCW in a "full size" caliber if a higher cap metal frame is required. Man do they feel nice too!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I can't bring myself to like the plastic weapons.

I went with the .380 PPK/S in multiples for consistency. Same Manual of Arms for every weapon, all mags fit all weapons. No fumblin' about in th' dark, no mixing of ammo.

BTW: Mitsy out-shoots me and she's only been shooting for a couple years. Gurls ROCK!

...and I went to the range earlier today...

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
As an aside, the stainless Interarms PPK and PPK/S were made here in the USA by an Alabama outfit: Ranger. Still had good QC and held tolerances... then came the S&W mess. Ya couldn't GIVE me an example of that monstrosity.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I have a Walther P.38 also. Great pistol, but not very concealable. Coincidentally, wife and I were watching a James Bond flick last night - Dr No. Early in the movie, James is chastised for carrying the "wrong" pistol - a Baretta. "M" made James hand over the Baretta and was forced to wear a "standard issue" Walther PPK. Check out the Springfield XDS .45 (my next one).

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Contrary to my earlier remarks, that Springfield XDS is tempting. But I just can't get past my traditionalism. :smirk:

OP
waltesefalcon

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I can't bring myself to buy a plastic gun. So I'm only looking at steel frame pistols, I'm very tempted by the Walther from my experience as a kid (Doc my uncle's P38 was also a war trophy) and, I'll admit it, James Bond (I've thought they were cool since I saw my first Bond flick as a kid). You guys certainly not dissuading me from a PPK, which is good.

D

Deleted member 8987

My throwaway was a Jennings 380. Finally broke the slide, now an AMT, just because of size. Main is a 1911 (NOT an A-1).
I can usually do the 1911 anywhere.
Walthers are nice, just out of my price range.

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
I fired a PPK, hadn't been dialed in so I missed the target each time. I liked the Sig Sauer. I was the guest of a couple of Federal agents at a range in the basement of a local police station..... Was borrowing their issue sidearms, and the Walther one of them had just picked up.

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
FYI: I took a peak at the Springfield and this jumped out from August 2013:
Begin Press Release
Springfield Armory® is initiating this voluntary safety recall to upgrade 3.3 XD-S™ 9mm and 3.3 XD-S™ .45ACP pistols with new components, which eliminate the possibility of a potentially dangerous condition. We want to emphasize that no injuries have been reported to date.
Springfield has determined that under exceptionally rare circumstances, some 3.3 XD-Sâ„¢ 9mm and .45ACP caliber pistols could experience an unintended discharge during the loading process when the slide is released, or could experience a double-fire when the trigger is pulled once. The chance of these conditions existing is exceptionally rare, but if they happen, serious injury or death could occur.
WHAT SHOULD YOU DO?
STOP USING YOUR 3.3 XD-Sâ„¢ 9mm or .45ACP PISTOL AND CAREFULLY UNLOAD IT!

My handgun is a Colt Police Positive 32-20, thanks Dad.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
FYI: I took a peak at the Springfield and this jumped out from August 2013:
Begin Press Release
Springfield Armory® is initiating this voluntary safety recall to upgrade 3.3 XD-S™ 9mm and 3.3 XD-S™ .45ACP pistols with new components, which eliminate the possibility of a potentially dangerous condition. We want to emphasize that no injuries have been reported to date.
Springfield has determined that under exceptionally rare circumstances, some 3.3 XD-Sâ„¢ 9mm and .45ACP caliber pistols could experience an unintended discharge during the loading process when the slide is released, or could experience a double-fire when the trigger is pulled once. The chance of these conditions existing is exceptionally rare, but if they happen, serious injury or death could occur.
WHAT SHOULD YOU DO?
STOP USING YOUR 3.3 XD-Sâ„¢ 9mm or .45ACP PISTOL AND CAREFULLY UNLOAD IT!

My handgun is a Colt Police Positive 32-20, thanks Dad.

Yes, That's been out for a while now. A good friend of mine has an XSD .45 that fell under the recall - Kudos to Springfield for doing the right thing. I still hope to get one, but of course a post-recall model.

G

now an AMT, just because of size. .

I had a "Backup 45", recoils was...errrrr, "stiff". I could hit bowling pins at 50 yards with it though ( yeah, the one with "U" sights, 3-5 outta 10 times).

I hear you guys on the plastic thing but I'm tellin' ya, aint nothing like it for CCW. You'll be more apt to bring it than not.

If you don't mind the weight, I don't think you can do any better for a small caliber DA/SA, thumb safety CCW (Walther).

The CZ P-01 sure feels sweet though ( has aluminum frame).

G

The best advise I can give: Lay it on the counter, close your eyes and then pick it up.

How does it feel?

Grip too short/long, fat/skinny?

Now operate everything: Trigger/hammer/mag release in "the right place"?

Pick out an object in a safe direction, close your eyes then aim at that object, now open your eyes. Is it pointing where it's supposed to? Ideally you want something (anything) that feels like it belongs in your hand. Buying protection is just like buying shoes, they have to fit well no matter how well they are "supposed to perform". Whatever you get needs to be intuitive no matter what "power factor" it is. There is an old saying, "I'd rather hit 'em with a .22 than miss 'em with a 45", so find whatever it is you're most proficient with. You can rent different models at ranges before you buy. I loved my buddy's Ruger LCP...till I shot it.. I loved my buddy's Walther .22...till I shot it... ( the new plastic one)...and I'm the guy who told him to buy it! My Jennings .22 shot WAY better. ( I have a POS Jennings .22 that I can absolutely ruin you day with at 25-35 yards)

Go to a shop or show and handle EVERYTHING. Somewhere out there you will find something *that has the magic*. For me it was a CZ P-01 ten years ago and I've yet to have another (of even the same model) feel the same... and I still kick myself for not getting it... It's a lot like a spouse, you'll know that you know. Find the feel then get the reviews, then shoot one and see for yourself.

For that particular platform, Walther would be really tough to beat, that's why almost everybody copied it...

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Billy said:
If you don't mind the weight, I don't think you can do any better for a small caliber DA/SA, thumb safety CCW (Walther).

It may be heavier than a poly one but it isn't an inconvenience. Know what you mean about the LCP, too. I like the mass of the PPK/S. It feels like a real sidearm, recoil is manageable. Not so much with the LCP.

Don_R

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Been carrying a Walther PPK/S in .32 Auto for the last 8 years...I love it...It fits my hand so well it points like my own finger..
I carry it in a Milt Sparks inside waistband holster...hides really well and I don't notice the weight...

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Nice, Don. I'm sorta-kinda watching out for a .32 PPK in stainless. As to the feel of the things, must agree. Hard to miss a target with it.

Of all the IWB holsters, I keep returning to Bianchi. Current one is a "Pro-100," fits and holds well. The other one I like is a High Noon 'Split Decision'. It's tuckable but doesn't keep the weapon from stabbin' me in the side like the Bianchi. Weight is not an issue for me, either. When it isn't there I notice it missing, I get the "half dressed" feeling. :wink:

G

It may be heavier than a poly one but it isn't an inconvenience..

My biggest problem is for the size, weight and expense I can get more punch in a slightly bigger package. I especially dislike it in .32 for the same reasons. A Seacamp can be had in .32 that's easier to CC and it's well made and all steel. I don't mind dropping down in caliber if I'm also dropping down in size/weight. I don't like things tugging on my pants. For me to CC all day I don't want to know it's there AND I want it in my pocket (where my valuables are supposed to be) for easy deployment. If someone gets the drop on you, it's already WAY too late for a shoulder rig, belly band or IWB gear. The great thing about pockets is, if you suspect an incident, you won't spook anyone by putting you hands in them before nor removing them upon command.

"STICK 'EM UP !!!"

Uhhhh....okay....:devilgrin: