• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Dunlop D-Type wheels

Country flag
Reid has them on his 100__SEXY!! They really look the part, but I think I bought all five (5) of my AC Cobra chrome wire wheels for what one (1) Dunlop costs. They're gorgeous, if you can swing it!

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Indeed, not cheap. I had mine delivered with the Avon CR6ZZ tires already installed since these tires can be a challenge to source in the USA, and the overall cost, including transport and customs was staggering. I knew they were expensive, but by the time they were actually in my hands, my hands were no longer burdened with a heavy wallet.

That said, they look absolutely smashing, in my opinion. They are oh-so-easy to clean. They are strong and will never need "tuning." My signature photo, below, shows them off pretty well.

Now regarding the tires, they are "road legal radial competition tyres" according to the Avon website. What this means in practical terms is that they wear quickly and are "more tire" than the car really needs. There's nothing particularly wrong with having a component that is better than it needs to be, but as I do not track my 100 or drive it particularly aggressively, a lesser - and less costly and better-wearing - tire will probably be my choice when it comes time to replace them.

Back to the wheels for a moment, I do take some pleasure in informing those interested that I know of only one other Healey in the USA with these wheels. They are universally praised and admired, so if the costs do not stop you, I recommend them.

jcsb

Jedi Trainee
I'm not new to purchasing parts from the UK, but might I ask how much was the shipping and customs? The wheels are about $445 each. I'm not sure how much the tires were and what size are they?
John

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
It's been a few years and I don't remember the cost breakdown, but the tire cost was equally staggering. In addition to their purchase price, there was also the charge for mounting and balancing.

The shipping from England to the east coast happened pretty quickly; the trucking from the east coast to here in Portland near the west coast took a very long time.

The customs charge was not, as I recall, huge, and by that time I was pretty well numbed by the expense of the whole deal. The final charge was $50 for a forklift guy to carry them across a warehouse floor. I was not allowed to drive my car into the warehouse to pick them up, you see, and they were banded together and could not be rolled.

All in, figure a grand per corner. I hope you were sitting down.

jcsb

Jedi Trainee
Well your right, I felt my right arm go numb (wallet arm), but they really look nice. I'm still debating. I'm not scared away that easily.
John

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Well your right, I felt my right arm go numb (wallet arm), but they really look nice. I'm still debating. I'm not scared away that easily.
John

John -

You can purchase the Avon tires here in the states for much cheaper then importing them. I get them through Rodger Krause in CA, https://rogerkrausracing.com/pages/pricing.html. I use them as my wet weather racing tire and they're awesome, but remember no tire will save you if you're hydroplaning.

jcsb

Jedi Trainee
Thanks Dougie, I have tagged the web page. I'm getting new wheels after I get the body and paint done. I'm just debating between wire or disk.
John

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
The wheel design of the Dunlop steel wheel is not particularly unique and a number of modern wheels have a similar hole design and sell for about $65 a wheel. The unique aspect is the splined drive. Some guys on the MGB forums have talked of trying to make their own using a set of wire wheel splines welded into a new wheel. Wonder if it could be done for a Healey?

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
The wheel design of the Dunlop steel wheel is not particularly unique and a number of modern wheels have a similar hole design and sell for about $65 a wheel. The unique aspect is the splined drive. Some guys on the MGB forums have talked of trying to make their own using a set of wire wheel splines welded into a new wheel. Wonder if it could be done for a Healey?

Yes, it could be done... maybe at a cost of about $400-500 per? See for example these "HEALEY" wheels.

By the way, the wheels on my Healey are not pressed steel. They are cast, but in the pattern and appearance of the olde Dunlop wheels.

MikeAH100M

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
What spinners are used with the Dunlop wheels on the 100? I notice that the spinners listed on the Cape site are not listed as being suitable for the BN1 or BN2?

TFR1

Country flag
I have been speaking to Realm Engineering in UK.
they have D type wheels in A variety of sizes, bolt on or knock off style.

tfr1

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
TFR1 - I was going to post a link to the Realm Engineering site. I live about 10 miles from their facility. Let me know if you need any assistance or extra info. Their main business is making replica C and D type jaguars.

Avon have introduced a new version of the CR6ZZ 185*70*15 tyre. The old version was not actually a 70 profile tyre it was more like 65 and I believe they got pulled up for this. The new tyre is a correct 70 profile so overall the new tyre is taller than the old one, which suits the car even better. Avon ZZs are from the mototrpsort division of Avon and are the best tyres out there for period race and road use. They are expensive. about £200 per corner.

TFR1

Country flag
DerekJ

Nice to know someone is familiar with Realm Engineering.
Adrian has been very helpful helping with a proper selection. I have a disc wheel '57 BN4 and wanted the peg drive look wheels. I am working on fitting dunlop disc brake calipers front and rear,if possible, before I order wheels.
Are you willing to offer an opinion of the look and quality of their wheels?

tfr1

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Tfr1

I went round to Realm today. They are actually only about 7 miles from me. I spoke to Adrian and saw the wheels which look nice quality. As you probably know they are made of aluminium and look like peg drives but are not. If you have disc wheels already then I suppose you will not need the splined centres, although the wheels might look incomplete without the spinners. Price is £295 with splines and £245 without. Thats without VAT which you do not have to pay as it is an export order. He said delivery would be about £165.

andrea

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Hi Dougie
seeing your interesting video I have noted that your wiper works in very good manner
on my 57 100 SIX MM the wiper rackets (new AHsparesWSN152-153-and 2x159 )woks very nearest the top limit-
the first time that I activate it the rubber blades was stopped by the top end (and also from upper Hard Top aluminium profile) and wiper action is stopped with serious risk to damage the electric motor or gears
The only remedy is, exit from the car, also with heavy rain, an pull down (0.5/0.7 cm)the rubber blades.
the wiper arm and blades appear have the correct dimensions-
arms appear to be in the correct position,
is possible that I have reversed the blades? I have supposed that blades haven't a one way 019.jpg
Cheers

drambuie

Jedi Warrior
Hello Andrea,
Judging from your photo...it looks like your wiper arms are positioned to high in the off postion. The wiper blades should be resting on the lower chrome windshield trim in off postion...not above the chrome windshield trim. Just reposition the wiper arms lower. Also, you may try to take off the wiper blade arms and switch them around. If that doesn't work, then I would suspect you have the wrong size wiper blades.Note the attached photo.Take care!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

TFR1

Country flag
Tfr1

I went round to Realm today.

Now that is quick service!
Thanks again for providing a closer look for me. Adrian was perfectly willing to ship a single wheel so that I could work out my fitment before buying all five. He was eager to help me get what I wanted.

I am comforted knowing that on the other side of this computer screen, half a world away, is another Healey enthusiast.

My sincere thanks.

TFR1