Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dunlop D-Type wheels

Forum to discuss Austin Healey Sports Cars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dunlop D-Type wheels

Any history with the Dunlop D-type-style wheels offered from Cape-International in England?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts

Re: Dunlop D-Type wheels

Reid has them on his 100__SEXY!! They really look the part, but I think I bought all five (5) of my AC Cobra chrome wire wheels for what one (1) Dunlop costs. They're gorgeous, if you can swing it!
    http://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf/image.php
    57 Healey BN6L-942 Wine Red/Honey Tan
    99 BMW M Coupe EB w/ ES/TS & 99 M Rdstr BK/BK
    01 BMW M Rdstr Steel Gray Performance Center (factory) Delivery
    16 X5M/DINAN Stg II Mineral White Metallic Wife's 716 hp/702 Lb-ft Turbo Hauler

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Not cheap but I have not seen nicer one's
    https://www.cape-international.com/n...=23&newsfilter=
    Last edited by BigGreen; 11-20-2013 at 03:53 PM. Reason: typo
    The least I can do is keep my CarClean.com
    Jaguar X type 2.5, 2003 Carnival Red Metallic
    Austin Healey HBJ8L/40871,MkIII ph2 April 1967 Original MGBeige, now BRGreen

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Indeed, not cheap. I had mine delivered with the Avon CR6ZZ tires already installed since these tires can be a challenge to source in the USA, and the overall cost, including transport and customs was staggering. I knew they were expensive, but by the time they were actually in my hands, my hands were no longer burdened with a heavy wallet.

That said, they look absolutely smashing, in my opinion. They are oh-so-easy to clean. They are strong and will never need "tuning." My signature photo, below, shows them off pretty well.

Now regarding the tires, they are "road legal radial competition tyres" according to the Avon website. What this means in practical terms is that they wear quickly and are "more tire" than the car really needs. There's nothing particularly wrong with having a component that is better than it needs to be, but as I do not track my 100 or drive it particularly aggressively, a lesser - and less costly and better-wearing - tire will probably be my choice when it comes time to replace them.

Back to the wheels for a moment, I do take some pleasure in informing those interested that I know of only one other Healey in the USA with these wheels. They are universally praised and admired, so if the costs do not stop you, I recommend them.
    Reid Trummel
    Editor, HEALEY MARQUE magazine

Jedi Trainee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not new to purchasing parts from the UK, but might I ask how much was the shipping and customs? The wheels are about $445 each. I'm not sure how much the tires were and what size are they?
    John

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

It's been a few years and I don't remember the cost breakdown, but the tire cost was equally staggering. In addition to their purchase price, there was also the charge for mounting and balancing.

The shipping from England to the east coast happened pretty quickly; the trucking from the east coast to here in Portland near the west coast took a very long time.

The customs charge was not, as I recall, huge, and by that time I was pretty well numbed by the expense of the whole deal. The final charge was $50 for a forklift guy to carry them across a warehouse floor. I was not allowed to drive my car into the warehouse to pick them up, you see, and they were banded together and could not be rolled.

All in, figure a grand per corner. I hope you were sitting down.
    Reid Trummel

Jedi Trainee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well your right, I felt my right arm go numb (wallet arm), but they really look nice. I'm still debating. I'm not scared away that easily.
    John

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jcsb View Post
    Well your right, I felt my right arm go numb (wallet arm), but they really look nice. I'm still debating. I'm not scared away that easily.
    John
    John -

You can purchase the Avon tires here in the states for much cheaper then importing them. I get them through Rodger Krause in CA, https://rogerkrausracing.com/pages/pricing.html. I use them as my wet weather racing tire and they're awesome, but remember no tire will save you if you're hydroplaning.

Dougie
    '65 BJ8 3000 MKIII GN.29
    '57 100-SIX MM Vintage Racer GN.1 #414
    Team Healey PDX

Jedi Trainee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks Dougie, I have tagged the web page. I'm getting new wheels after I get the body and paint done. I'm just debating between wire or disk.
    John

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

The wheel design of the Dunlop steel wheel is not particularly unique and a number of modern wheels have a similar hole design and sell for about $65 a wheel. The unique aspect is the splined drive. Some guys on the MGB forums have talked of trying to make their own using a set of wire wheel splines welded into a new wheel. Wonder if it could be done for a Healey?
    Rick

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HealeyRick View Post
    The wheel design of the Dunlop steel wheel is not particularly unique and a number of modern wheels have a similar hole design and sell for about $65 a wheel. The unique aspect is the splined drive. Some guys on the MGB forums have talked of trying to make their own using a set of wire wheel splines welded into a new wheel. Wonder if it could be done for a Healey?
    Yes, it could be done... maybe at a cost of about $400-500 per? See for example these "HEALEY" wheels.

By the way, the wheels on my Healey are not pressed steel. They are cast, but in the pattern and appearance of the olde Dunlop wheels.
    Reid Trummel

Jedi Hopeful
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What spinners are used with the Dunlop wheels on the 100? I notice that the spinners listed on the Cape site are not listed as being suitable for the BN1 or BN2?

Michael Pittsburgh PA USA

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have been speaking to Realm Engineering in UK.
    they have D type wheels in A variety of sizes, bolt on or knock off style.

tfr1

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

TFR1 - I was going to post a link to the Realm Engineering site. I live about 10 miles from their facility. Let me know if you need any assistance or extra info. Their main business is making replica C and D type jaguars.

Avon have introduced a new version of the CR6ZZ 185*70*15 tyre. The old version was not actually a 70 profile tyre it was more like 65 and I believe they got pulled up for this. The new tyre is a correct 70 profile so overall the new tyre is taller than the old one, which suits the car even better. Avon ZZs are from the mototrpsort division of Avon and are the best tyres out there for period race and road use. They are expensive. about 200 per corner.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

DerekJ

Nice to know someone is familiar with Realm Engineering.
    Adrian has been very helpful helping with a proper selection. I have a disc wheel '57 BN4 and wanted the peg drive look wheels. I am working on fitting dunlop disc brake calipers front and rear,if possible, before I order wheels.
    Are you willing to offer an opinion of the look and quality of their wheels?

tfr1

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Tfr1

I went round to Realm today. They are actually only about 7 miles from me. I spoke to Adrian and saw the wheels which look nice quality. As you probably know they are made of aluminium and look like peg drives but are not. If you have disc wheels already then I suppose you will not need the splined centres, although the wheels might look incomplete without the spinners. Price is 295 with splines and 245 without. Thats without VAT which you do not have to pay as it is an export order. He said delivery would be about 165.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Hi Dougie
    seeing your interesting video I have noted that your wiper works in very good manner
    on my 57 100 SIX MM the wiper rackets (new AHsparesWSN152-153-and 2x159 )woks very nearest the top limit-
    the first time that I activate it the rubber blades was stopped by the top end (and also from upper Hard Top aluminium profile) and wiper action is stopped with serious risk to damage the electric motor or gears
    The only remedy is, exit from the car, also with heavy rain, an pull down (0.5/0.7 cm)the rubber blades.
    the wiper arm and blades appear have the correct dimensions-
    arms appear to be in the correct position,
    is possible that I have reversed the blades? I have supposed that blades haven't a one way 019.jpg
    Cheers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hello Andrea,
    Judging from your photo...it looks like your wiper arms are positioned to high in the off postion. The wiper blades should be resting on the lower chrome windshield trim in off postion...not above the chrome windshield trim. Just reposition the wiper arms lower. Also, you may try to take off the wiper blade arms and switch them around. If that doesn't work, then I would suspect you have the wrong size wiper blades.Note the attached photo.Take care!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by drambuie; 11-28-2013 at 08:29 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DerekJ View Post
    Tfr1

I went round to Realm today.
    Now that is quick service!
    Thanks again for providing a closer look for me. Adrian was perfectly willing to ship a single wheel so that I could work out my fitment before buying all five. He was eager to help me get what I wanted.

I am comforted knowing that on the other side of this computer screen, half a world away, is another Healey enthusiast.

My sincere thanks.

TFR1

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Glad to be of assistance. BTW, why buy five?. Four is enough, the other just spends its time in the boot.