• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Trunnion oiling

Gerry M

I've read some of the threads re: trunnion oiling/greasing but I haven't seen any photos that clearly explain exactly where the grease/oil goes. I'm not sure whether the grease nipple accepts both grease and oil and I'm not sure what the purpose of the bolt head is on the top of the trunnion. See my photo attached. Do I "grease here" at the nipple and "oil here" by removing the bolt head? If the grease nipple is where I should grease/oil, what is the purpose of the bolt? Hopefully my photo will help explain what I am talking about.

Attachments

• Trunnion.jpg
    Trunnion.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 138

justin_mercier

Jedi Warrior
You oil the trunion where the grease zerk fitting is. I've got a special tool for oiling trunions that I got from the spitfire club, it's a plunger oiler with a grease gun fitting on the end. Use a heavy gear oil for the trunion. The bolt on the rear holds the iron turn stop for the vertical link to stop the steering in either direction. Inside the trunion the thread should have a grove down one side that allows the oil to fill up from the bottom. The center of the vertical link is hollow from the bottom of the threads up to the hole for the grease zerk fitting.

My car had been greased instead of oiled, and I had to remove the whole vertical link to clean out old grease with some pipe cleaners before I could properly oil everything.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Go to a marine supply and get a gun with a zerk fitting that accepts "tubes" of outboard motor oil. You can probably get one on-line from a marine supply website.
it looks something like this...

Oiler pump 003.jpg

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I've read some of the threads re: trunnion oiling/greasing
Something that gets easily overlooked in those threads; the earlier TRs had a different trunnion design with the zerk on the bottom of the trunnion. They need grease as oil will leak out. I forget the change point offhand, but the later cars (like yours) need oil.

I'm not sure what the purpose of the bolt head is on the top of the trunnion.
That is the steering stop. Under the head of the bolt is a spacer with the hole drilled off-center, so you can adjust how far the suspension will turn. There is a mating ear on the vertical link that hits the spacer. Most people don't worry about it, but I pulled the ones on my TR3A in just a bit to keep the wide tires from rubbing on the sway bar.

Here's a link where you can buy the gun that Elliot is talking about (just as an example, I'm not recommending this vendor or this price). It's actually for grease, but works well for oil as well (they sell tubes of oil that screw right in). When you're done though, you need to hang it up with the tube downward, otherwise the oil will leak out. I think it must be a British design :smile:
https://greatlakesskipper.com/mercu...-grease-gun?gclid=CNmC4_Cov7oCFSjZQgodB3QAAg#

Willie_P

Jedi Hopeful
I have an early tr4 and currently have grease in my trunions. However, I was also under the impression that oil needs to be added in order to keep the grease "soft"...(the comment on not using oil due to leakage through me for a curve ball).....help?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
With the early trunnions, just keep adding grease on schedule (enough to force out some of the old grease). The book says every 3000 miles, but I stretch that to once a year (which is about 10-12,000 for me). That will keep the grease from drying out. If it is already dried out (from long storage or neglect), then IMO you need to disassemble and clean (and likely replace), then start over with fresh grease. Don't forget there are 3 grease zerks per side.

Modern grease is a lot better than what they had back in the 60s anyway. I just took apart a small final drive/axle that was last greased back around 1985, and the grease is still "greasy".

justin_mercier

Jedi Warrior
That's the oiler that I use for my TR6 trunions. In my case I knew there was grease and not oil because of the grease still stuck to the zerk, so i disassembled and cleaned and reassembled the trunions and vertical links.