Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wanted: hardtop for a 1963 bj7

Forum to discuss Austin Healey Sports Cars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

wanted: hardtop for a 1963 bj7

looking for the above for 1963 healey that i recently purchased....any leads appreciated. also, if anyone has a pic or two of a bj series with a hardtop in place i would appreciate posting of the picture. thanks, maxwedge

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

Re: wanted: hardtop for a 1963 bj7

Works hardtops for the BJ7 fit only the BJ7 and BJ8 and require removal of the convertible top for fitment. In my view, they are quite handsome and add to the appearance of the car. See Steve Thomton's Rallye Replica here: https://stevesaustinhealey.com/index...d=10&Itemid=11 However, they are rare and expensive (probably around $2,000 for one needing work) A reproduction is available from Nical Engineering in the UK https://www.nicalengineering.co.uk/austin_parts.html. Price is spendy and you'll have to play around with it a bit to get it to fit correctly. Another alternative (and nowhere near as handsome, IMHO, is the Parrish Plastics/ Smoothline one available here: https://www.smoothline.com/austin_healey.php They show up used pretty regularly for around $300.
    Rick

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thanks rick. i expected as much. after reviewing the pics where does one find the fender vents and are they effective for removing air from the engine compartment. there was a similar red car with white hardtop at eurofest yesterday at tne bmw plant near greenville sc.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by maxwedge5281 View Post
    thanks rick. i expected as much. after reviewing the pics where does one find the fender vents and are they effective for removing air from the engine compartment. there was a similar red car with white hardtop at eurofest yesterday at tne bmw plant near greenville sc.
    Here's one source: https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf/...y-fender-vents Randy says the vents work. Geoff Healey said they didn't. Kind of like the question whether the louvers on the 100M bonnet do anything. They sure look like they should help and I can't imagine they'd hurt. And I think they are must-haves if you have a hardtop.
    Rick

Luke Skywalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

I had the same discussion with my Healey man last week 'cos I like the look of the fender vents and fancy fitting some down the line, he recons that the fender vents are not as effective as a louvred bonnet. I can see that a louvered bonnet would be very effective - hot air rises and all that.

Bob

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Take a Look at Pete Farmer. https://www.petefarmer.com/hardtops.htm
    About TV Shows-
    "...you really can't restore a car in 10 days. I don't want to watch a race where people have to restore it in a week. It's not going to drive, and those cars never work. In real life, it takes years to get it right. " Jay Leno.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by vette View Post
    Take a Look at Pete Farmer. https://www.petefarmer.com/hardtops.htm
    This is the first I've heard of this source for hardtops. I'm afraid to ask the price. Anyone know an approximate number?
    Keith
    '59 Bugeye (recently restored)
    '62 BT7 (recently restored)
    '65 Sprite (restored 30 yrs ago)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i just sent an email and looking for a reply. i will post if i receive an answer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you want to see a Parrish top for a BJ7 I have one in my garage. We could place it on my healey so you could see the fit. I live in Seneca SC on lake Keowee.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thank you for the offer. i looked up parrish tops and see that they are a bit different from the factory. much smaller rear window. is your top for sale?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hughes View Post
    I had the same discussion with my Healey man last week 'cos I like the look of the fender vents and fancy fitting some down the line, he recons that the fender vents are not as effective as a louvred bonnet. I can see that a louvered bonnet would be very effective - hot air rises and all that.

Bob
    BMC tried the louvered hood and it didn't work. That's why they went with, and stayed with, the fender vents. I can tell you that there is a lot of hot air coming out mine when on the road.
    John, BN4

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

After a discussion with my wife I would consider selling the top. Do you belong to the Foothills British Car Club ?

Beyond the top since we both have BJ7's we could be of mutual help. I am an original owner.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

FWIW I agree with John.... the works tried the louvered hoods but they are in a high pressure area and they don't evacuate the heat from the engine compartment.... except when sitting still. I had a louvered hood on a 100/6 when living the Texas, when you stopped at a stoplight the heat billowed out of the louvers. The works changed to the side vents on their rally cars and stayed with them from then on because they do work. Cheers, Steve
    1963 Austin Healey 3000 BJ7 Works Rally Tribute w/EFI
    http://stevesaustinhealey.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HealeyPassion View Post
    FWIW I agree with John.... the works tried the louvered hoods but they are in a high pressure area and they don't evacuate the heat from the engine compartment.... except when sitting still. I had a louvered hood on a 100/6 when living the Texas, when you stopped at a stoplight the heat billowed out of the louvers. The works changed to the side vents on their rally cars and stayed with them from then on because they do work. Cheers, Steve
    I wonder if anyone with the side vents has ever installed radiator type of fans to remove the heat? It might be very good thing to have at idle.
    Patrick
    '67 Metallic Golden Beige/Red
    Owned since '72

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i have emailed pete farmer and have not gotten a reply. the parrish tops are kinda awkward looking for the healey lines. i also looked up nicale engineering. their website and attached pricing shows a price of about 1800 pounds... if i understand the currency symbol and the conversion to us dollars adds up to about 3700-3800 dollars for a complete top for the bj7/8. 'course shipping and associated costs would probably add at least another 500 to 1000 dollars. i have asked for more definitive pricing but have not yet received a reply....as someone said early on....pricey?? there is an early factory hardtop shell on ebay now with no hardware, trim etc...but parts do appear to be available at either of the above to complete!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by maxwedge5281 View Post
    i have emailed pete farmer and have not gotten a reply. the parrish tops are kinda awkward looking for the healey lines. i also looked up nicale engineering. their website and attached pricing shows a price of about 1800 pounds... if i understand the currency symbol and the conversion to us dollars adds up to about 3700-3800 dollars for a complete top for the bj7/8. 'course shipping and associated costs would probably add at least another 500 to 1000 dollars. i have asked for more definitive pricing but have not yet received a reply....as someone said early on....pricey?? there is an early factory hardtop shell on ebay now with no hardware, trim etc...but parts do appear to be available at either of the above to complete!
    Hardtops like the Parrish style fit over the rear surround chrome strip and actually sit on the painted surface. The Factory style Tops such as Farmers and Nical sit on the chrome strip but you will have to fit the hardtop to the car. That means trimming the plexiglas rear window and some fiberglass trimming. Steve Thomton installed a Nical top and posted about 160 pictures on this site, https://stevesaustinhealeyalbums.shutterfly.com/ (hope I got that right) about the install. It's not easy but with patience and care you sould be able to do it.
    Patrick
    '67 Metallic Golden Beige/Red
    Owned since '72

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

there is a factory hardtop for sale in chico calif craigslist for bn4 bn6 and bn7 cars as well as a very nice appearing rear shroud. might check it out . it needs a rear glass and paint. has latches. no affiliation...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Once a new hardtop is fitted to your car, how long does it take to take it on and off again?

is it a sensible option to take the top on and off to match the weather?

If so I may consider fitting a hardtop and using a tonneau for nice days. This way I could do without the expense and hassle of the folding top.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Hassle? try a longbridge top. I would much rather put up a top on a bj7 or 8 rather than a longbridge car.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

If the hardtop has the correct fittings then removing it is very simple, although it will take two people to lift it on and off.