• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

wanted: hardtop for a 1963 bj7

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
looking for the above for 1963 healey that i recently purchased....any leads appreciated. also, if anyone has a pic or two of a bj series with a hardtop in place i would appreciate posting of the picture. thanks, maxwedge

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Works hardtops for the BJ7 fit only the BJ7 and BJ8 and require removal of the convertible top for fitment. In my view, they are quite handsome and add to the appearance of the car. See Steve Thomton's Rallye Replica here: https://stevesaustinhealey.com/inde...ent&view=category&layout=blog&id=10&Itemid=11 However, they are rare and expensive (probably around $2,000 for one needing work) A reproduction is available from Nical Engineering in the UK https://www.nicalengineering.co.uk/austin_parts.html. Price is spendy and you'll have to play around with it a bit to get it to fit correctly. Another alternative (and nowhere near as handsome, IMHO, is the Parrish Plastics/ Smoothline one available here: https://www.smoothline.com/austin_healey.php They show up used pretty regularly for around $300.

OP
maxwedge5281

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
thanks rick. i expected as much. after reviewing the pics where does one find the fender vents and are they effective for removing air from the engine compartment. there was a similar red car with white hardtop at eurofest yesterday at tne bmw plant near greenville sc.

Attachments

• IMG_1463.jpg
    IMG_1463.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 95

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
thanks rick. i expected as much. after reviewing the pics where does one find the fender vents and are they effective for removing air from the engine compartment. there was a similar red car with white hardtop at eurofest yesterday at tne bmw plant near greenville sc.

Here's one source: https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf/showthread.php?75988-big-healey-fender-vents Randy says the vents work. Geoff Healey said they didn't. :indecisiveness::indecisiveness::indecisiveness: Kind of like the question whether the louvers on the 100M bonnet do anything. They sure look like they should help and I can't imagine they'd hurt. And I think they are must-haves if you have a hardtop.

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I had the same discussion with my Healey man last week 'cos I like the look of the fender vents and fancy fitting some down the line, he recons that the fender vents are not as effective as a louvred bonnet. I can see that a louvered bonnet would be very effective - hot air rises and all that.

:cheers:

Bob

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
OP
maxwedge5281

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
i just sent an email and looking for a reply. i will post if i receive an answer.

Tproject

If you want to see a Parrish top for a BJ7 I have one in my garage. We could place it on my healey so you could see the fit. I live in Seneca SC on lake Keowee.

OP
maxwedge5281

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
thank you for the offer. i looked up parrish tops and see that they are a bit different from the factory. much smaller rear window. is your top for sale?

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I had the same discussion with my Healey man last week 'cos I like the look of the fender vents and fancy fitting some down the line, he recons that the fender vents are not as effective as a louvred bonnet. I can see that a louvered bonnet would be very effective - hot air rises and all that.

:cheers:

Bob
BMC tried the louvered hood and it didn't work. That's why they went with, and stayed with, the fender vents. I can tell you that there is a lot of hot air coming out mine when on the road.

Tproject

After a discussion with my wife I would consider selling the top. Do you belong to the Foothills British Car Club ?

Beyond the top since we both have BJ7's we could be of mutual help. I am an original owner.

HealeyPassion

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
FWIW I agree with John.... the works tried the louvered hoods but they are in a high pressure area and they don't evacuate the heat from the engine compartment.... except when sitting still. I had a louvered hood on a 100/6 when living the Texas, when you stopped at a stoplight the heat billowed out of the louvers. The works changed to the side vents on their rally cars and stayed with them from then on because they do work. Cheers, Steve

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
FWIW I agree with John.... the works tried the louvered hoods but they are in a high pressure area and they don't evacuate the heat from the engine compartment.... except when sitting still. I had a louvered hood on a 100/6 when living the Texas, when you stopped at a stoplight the heat billowed out of the louvers. The works changed to the side vents on their rally cars and stayed with them from then on because they do work. Cheers, Steve
I wonder if anyone with the side vents has ever installed radiator type of fans to remove the heat? It might be very good thing to have at idle.

OP
maxwedge5281

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
i have emailed pete farmer and have not gotten a reply. the parrish tops are kinda awkward looking for the healey lines. i also looked up nicale engineering. their website and attached pricing shows a price of about 1800 pounds... if i understand the currency symbol and the conversion to us dollars adds up to about 3700-3800 dollars for a complete top for the bj7/8. 'course shipping and associated costs would probably add at least another 500 to 1000 dollars. i have asked for more definitive pricing but have not yet received a reply....as someone said early on....pricey?? there is an early factory hardtop shell on ebay now with no hardware, trim etc...but parts do appear to be available at either of the above to complete!

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
i have emailed pete farmer and have not gotten a reply. the parrish tops are kinda awkward looking for the healey lines. i also looked up nicale engineering. their website and attached pricing shows a price of about 1800 pounds... if i understand the currency symbol and the conversion to us dollars adds up to about 3700-3800 dollars for a complete top for the bj7/8. 'course shipping and associated costs would probably add at least another 500 to 1000 dollars. i have asked for more definitive pricing but have not yet received a reply....as someone said early on....pricey?? there is an early factory hardtop shell on ebay now with no hardware, trim etc...but parts do appear to be available at either of the above to complete!
Hardtops like the Parrish style fit over the rear surround chrome strip and actually sit on the painted surface. The Factory style Tops such as Farmers and Nical sit on the chrome strip but you will have to fit the hardtop to the car. That means trimming the plexiglas rear window and some fiberglass trimming. Steve Thomton installed a Nical top and posted about 160 pictures on this site, https://stevesaustinhealeyalbums.shutterfly.com/ (hope I got that right) about the install. It's not easy but with patience and care you sould be able to do it.

OP
maxwedge5281

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
there is a factory hardtop for sale in chico calif craigslist for bn4 bn6 and bn7 cars as well as a very nice appearing rear shroud. might check it out . it needs a rear glass and paint. has latches. no affiliation...

Jeepster

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Once a new hardtop is fitted to your car, how long does it take to take it on and off again?

is it a sensible option to take the top on and off to match the weather?

If so I may consider fitting a hardtop and using a tonneau for nice days. This way I could do without the expense and hassle of the folding top.