• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Re-reading an oldie but goody

GaryBeu

Banned
IMHO this is a GREAT book... I also loved "Illusions".

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Books gathering dust....

My "library" is replete with dusty tomes. Some are "classics" and some are contemporary. Among the ones I've read and re-read are late fifties and early sixties "Book of the Month" ones.

I grew up on Kipling, Defoe, Mellvile, LeCarre, Mitchel, Fleming, Norton, Heinlein, Azimov and Rand... among many others.

GaryBeu

Banned
I think that EVERYONE in the USA should read "The Grapes of Wrath" every few years...humbling story for modern day kids and young adults.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Gee, I hoped it was going to be this:

w15mxy.jpg

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Gee, I hoped it was going to be this:

w15mxy.jpg

Scholastic Books!!! Read that when in third grade if memory serves. And another called: "The Red, Red Roadster." An Alfa story, similar story line though.

Messed me up fer life, methinks. :smirk:

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Speaking of great books, I just bought the HD version of To Kill a Mockingbird and watched it over the weekend. What a great movie (and book).

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Timely thread.
I just saw that Pat Conroy has the final closure for his "The Great Santini" book out.
It's called "The Death of the Great Santini"
Watch most of the movie over the years yet I had no idea he wrote it.
Might have to pick up the first so I can read the second
Big fan of his writing

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag

I think it was an epidemic. Just read the reviews on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/The-Red-Car-...318/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?showViewpoints=1

Or, as Peter Egan put it in his Side Glances column here: https://www.roadandtrack.com/rt-archive/in-the-shadow-of-the-red-car

"Now, I have discovered over the years that there are two types of car enthusiasts: 1) Those who never heard of The Red Car and 2) those who read the book at an impressionable age and had their lives ruined by it. "

Country flag
The Red Car was one of those things that moved me to British cars when I was a kid. grew up in a small midwet farming community and never actually saw one until years later, but I knew I wanted a TC someday.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Scholastic Books!!! Read that when in third grade if memory serves. And another called: "The Red, Red Roadster." An Alfa story, similar story line though.

Ditto once again! In fact, I still have a copy, along with The Black Tiger, and The Black Tiger at LeMans. Read all of 'em as a kid, circa 1959.

Trevor Triumph

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Now that I have a Kindle I've been reading the books I avoided in school. As an adult I think they are interesting. I have called them the books that are supposed to be good for you. Gulliver's Travels, Iliad, and Sophie's' Choice are among them. The down side, sort of, is that the Kindle has a dictionary loaded so when I see a would I don't know i just tap and the definition appears. With Styron that happened nearly every page. I learned that by not going to the dictionary and turning pages I never learned the definition- no work involved.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I'm reading a Faye Kellerman detecto novel.
That built in dictionary would be helpful if it did Yiddish as the story takes place in Boro Park NY one of the country's largest Jewish Community.
Yikes , I ask my wife what these words mean and she just shakes her head

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
I'm reading a Faye Kellerman detecto novel.
That built in dictionary would be helpful if it did Yiddish as the story takes place in Boro Park NY one of the country's largest Jewish Community.
Yikes , I ask my wife what these words mean and she just shakes her head

Well, just don't get verklempt over it!

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Don't be a putz... go HERE

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Don-
Isn't that what Paul Revere said: "The Yiddish are coming, the Yiddish are coming" :smile:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
:lol: