• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 glass fuel filter

sundown

Jedi Hopeful
This probably is a real stupid question. I replaced my fuel filter with a glass one so I could check when it got dirty my question is the whole filter to be filled with gas ? I took it for a quick ride and was hesitating as if it was jerking as if I was running out of gas but when I stepped on it hard it ran strong?I looked at the filter when I got home and it was only half filled with gas? Thanks Sundown

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
I don't know about the glass ones but this filter is never full..at least I've never seen it full.

DART

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
The glass filter on my SP's have always looked full. But...I have never read anything on them having a desired level. I don't have access to the car at the moment, but as I recall the exit tube is at the top & I would think the bowl needs to be full for the pump to feed the carbs. This all assumes you have one of the bowl filters that the bowl comes off a fixed top fitting and is held in place with a bail and thumb screw.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Depends entirely on how the filter is mounted. If the outlet is at the top, then it should fill with fuel. But if it is sideways (as on most cars) so the outlet is on the side, then the top half will usually remain full of trapped air.

MDCanaday

Jedi Knight
It is my humble opinion that any one who has a glass fuel filter (3/4 by 2inch)
will one day be as sorry as I was.They work for a while then, with no dirt to be seen,
stop letting fuel pass.You will stand by the side of the road changing out parts and
cleaning stuff for hours........Trust me they are the worst of a bad lot!!
MD(mad dog)

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
There is an arrow on most of the filters showing flow, might check it. I have to admit, I installed one backwards once and they don't work that way. But most of mine are not completely full when the car is running.

Jerry

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Will the air trapped in the filter effect the gas getting to the carbs?
Nope. As long as the outlet is covered with fuel, the air just stays trapped in the filter and doesn't hurt anything.

Later on, as the filter media gets more restrictive, the fuel flowing through the filter may push the trapped air towards the outlet and some of it escape. But it just goes harmlessly through the top of the float bowl and out the vent, so it won't hurt anything either.

dklawson

Yoda
They work for a while then, with no dirt to be seen,
stop letting fuel pass.

I have one of these filters on the Mini and another on the GT6. I have had no problems with either over almost 20 years. On the GT6 I have chosen to disassemble the filter to install a new element and remove debris but the filter had not failed.

Please don't take offense but that sure sounds like an installation where the inlet and outlet ports have been connected backwards. If fuel flows into the discharge port, dirt collects in the center where it won't be seen or noticed. With every filter I have seen (fuel, gas, water, etc.) the direction of flow is from the larger surface area side of the filter element to the smaller area side. In this case, the fuel flow is into the outer glass sleeve, through the element and out the center.

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I am not sure exactly why but my glass filter looks neat when the engine is shut off and hot. The air/fuel sort of percolates inside the filter and you can watch it sort of bubbling and flowing up and down. It is kind of like watching a freshly poured Guinness draft settle. There seems to be more of a bubble/less fuel when it's warm, but I have had no problems with starving for fuel -though I only have 300 miles on it...

fuel_filter.jpg