Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: 1961 3000 Restoration

Forum to discuss Austin Healey Sports Cars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Re: 1961 3000 Restoration

I don't think I have ever seen such a clear reflection in a Healey panel! Well done.
    Fifty second year in one 100, still going strong!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, looks great! Very nice. Sure...black is difficult to keep clean, one of the reasons why I painted mine OEWhite. But on the plus side, it hides oil well.

Jedi Trainee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DanZ_BT7 View Post
    Wow, looks great! Very nice. Sure...black is difficult to keep clean, one of the reasons why I painted mine OEWhite. But on the plus side, it hides oil well.
    The trick is to learn what to clean it with and how to properly wipe it down. No car cover, only thin painters plastic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How to properly wipe it down...could you elaborate on this process. My car is so new I honestly haven't even washed it, it's a bit dusty but I don't want to scratch the paint. What's your technique?

Jedi Trainee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DanZ_BT7 View Post
    How to properly wipe it down...could you elaborate on this process. My car is so new I honestly haven't even washed it, it's a bit dusty but I don't want to scratch the paint. What's your technique?
    I use microfiber towels(kirkland brand) from Costco. I lightly spray one area at a time with Mequiars Quick Detailer then very gently wipe that section clean with the microfiber towel applying almost zero pressure.

Jedi Trainee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

She is home from paint and ready for final detailing and assembly! When done correctly, black looks absolutely amazing on these cars!

Jedi Trainee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I haven't really had much time to work on the car since I have been busy with my own business and chasing a baby around for the last year, but I did manage to get new leather installed on the seats a month ago. I hope to complete this car by fall. Also, my mom is around 5'2", so I had to add pedal extenders and seat risers. Summit racing sells some seat risers that worked perfectly with the factory seats and tracks...raised the seat up around 2" so she will be able to see over the front of the car better.

Jedi Hopeful
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Kudos to you for sticking with this, and especially for sharing the process with the community. It certainly is a cautionary tale to remember when buying a 'restored' car, and the benefit of being involved in the restoration process at every step. Whenever I think "I could have bought a finished car for less than I have in the restoration of mine", I'll remember your story.

Jack

Jedi Trainee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

From the original auction listing, it simply says that Kurt Tanner got the car running again, and detailed. It does not say he did the restoration in the mid 1990s. Did your father actually buy the car from Kurt Tanner?

The "red paint" you found was the typical primer color for most 1959-1960 BT7s.

Also, 60 spoke wire wheels were never standard or an option form the manufacturer.

I think it is the original BT7 engine, just rebuilt probably with BJ8 cam and the cylinders bored. I canít tell for sure from the photographs, but the carbs look to be BT7.

The interior is a BT7, not a BJ8.

Steering gear box was originally gloss black, like the column.

Feel free to email if you have any questions that I might be able to assist. I have a 1959 Concours Silver A-H 3000.

Jedi Hopeful
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by RonR View Post
    From the original auction listing, it simply says that Kurt Tanner got the car running again, and detailed. It does not say he did the restoration in the mid 1990s. Did your father actually buy the car from Kurt Tanner?
    If you read the complete thread, you will see that Kurt Tanner personally brought the car to auction and gave the car his endorsement. Sounds as if Mr. Tanner used his reputation to get the highest price on a car he didn't actually restore.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

RonR

60 spoke wheels were an available option for the 3000 and standard on late BJ7s and all BJ8s. 72 spoke wheels were never available from the factory.

Jedi Trainee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jack T View Post
    If you read the complete thread, you will see that Kurt Tanner personally brought the car to auction and gave the car his endorsement. Sounds as if Mr. Tanner used his reputation to get the highest price on a car he didn't actually restore.
    That is correct. He represented the car as his own at the auction. Regardless, It doesn't really much matter now.

Jedi Hopeful
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

[URL=https://s171.photobucket.com/user/haasad/media/20170617_172904_zpstl3qcba6.jpg.html][/URL

Parallel Paths.......