Thread: Travel "roof" cover?

Forum to discuss Austin Healey Sports Cars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Travel "roof" cover?

Took my '67 to the shop for help with a few electrical "things" yesterday. Everything got fixed just fine but an unexpected passing rain shower got the car as it waited in the lot, top up thank goodness. But I do have the drivers window out of the car for some door work and things got wet. No major damage but a wet seat on the drive home, and the reminder of an idea I had a while back.

Has anyone ever found, had made, or know someone who might make a fold-up, traveling, "roof cover" for an AH? Not a full waterproof car cover but just a roof and windshield cover. I had envisioned it to be a sun and water/rain blocking, shaped cover. It would be just a bit bigger than the actual car roof, would "fit" over the car top and windshield, and attach in place with bungy cords. If it folded up nice and neat and small for traveling then it could find a home in my car boot for sure. If it had soft cloth around the bottom edge to protect paint jobs, that would be good too.

Anybody have such a cover?
    Pete Um
    '67 BJ8, Healey Blue,
    to become Blue/Ivory,
    "A '74 purchase that stuck."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    1960 Austin Healey 3000 "Mk I" BT7
    Previously:
    1959 Triumph TR3A
    1966 Triumph TR4A IRS
    1965 MG Midget MkII

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts

Re: Travel "roof" cover?

Quote Originally Posted by peteatgr View Post
    Took my '67 to the shop for help with a few electrical "things" yesterday. Everything got fixed just fine but an unexpected passing rain shower got the car as it waited in the lot, top up thank goodness. But I do have the drivers window out of the car for some door work and things got wet. No major damage but a wet seat on the drive home, and the reminder of an idea I had a while back.

Has anyone ever found, had made, or know someone who might make a fold-up, traveling, "roof cover" for an AH? Not a full waterproof car cover but just a roof and windshield cover. I had envisioned it to be a sun and water/rain blocking, shaped cover. It would be just a bit bigger than the actual car roof, would "fit" over the car top and windshield, and attach in place with bungy cords. If it folded up nice and neat and small for traveling then it could find a home in my car boot for sure. If it had soft cloth around the bottom edge to protect paint jobs, that would be good too.

Anybody have such a cover?
    There is such a cover - Peter Roses and Jeff Boysen used them in Scotland recently. Peter's looking for the info and I'll post it later - possibly tomorrow.
    Steve Gerow
    Altadena, CA, USA
    Maker of most complete Big Healey rear disc kit
    Check out my galleries:
    http://www.pbase.com/stevegerow

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts

This is the one Peter and Jeff and some others used in Scotland. This is ordering direct from the manufacturer:
    https://www.coversshop.co.uk/outdoor...car_covers.htm
    Steve Gerow
    Altadena, CA, USA
    Maker of most complete Big Healey rear disc kit
    Check out my galleries:
    http://www.pbase.com/stevegerow

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

AutoFarm in Canada sells a waterproof roof/window cover. I bought a "garage" years ago from a place in Ohio or IN., but don't have that info anymore. Great product and has lasted for years.

www.autofarm.net/autofarm/home.aspx
    Randy Hicks
    AHCA 100 Registrar
    ahca100registrargmail.com

Jedi Hopeful
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There used to be a someone that advertised on EBay that made them. It appeared it was made out of top material and attached at the Tenax fasteners points. I think he sold them for around $167.00 I was always going to buy one, but never got around to it. I have not seen it on EBay for a year or more. Maybe if he reads these posts he will start up again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank you everyone. this is goods information. I'm going to purchase one or another and will post my impressions once I get it and use it.
    Pete Um
    '67 BJ8, Healey Blue,
    to become Blue/Ivory,
    "A '74 purchase that stuck."