• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

billsmyth

Freshman Member
I bought a barely running TR4A in 1970, took it apart in 1980, and am just starting to complete it. I know enough about the engine to keep out of trouble, but the rest of it is a learning process. I find I must now learn to weld aluminum, or buy a new overdrive casing. Anybody have experience in repairing a hole in the bottom of the overdrive casing?

Has anybody had experienced a hole in bottom of the overdrive unit, just aft of the oil drain? I have no idea how I got it since the transmission was rebuilt in 1980 and has sat idle ever since. Maybe some of our radioactive mice around here have very strong teeth.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Welcome to BCF! Bought the car in 1970 and now getting it road ready - you're not a guy who rushes in to things!

You might want to start a new topic over in the Triumph forum.

As aluminum doesn't "rust", then are you sure it's not a hole missing a cap or bolt? Or the drain cap wouldn't open, and someone drilled a new drain?

A photo of the hole might help.

Tom

johntennyson

Country flag
Welcome! Welding aluminum can be difficult-- the stuff conducts heat away so well that many times the best technique is to heat the entire piece before welding in the desired area. It's also more difficult to control the heat in the weld area and you need an AC welder to improve the cleaning of the area with the arc. Have you looked into either eliminating the overdrive unit or converting it to a later 5-speed overdrive transmission? (I did that to my Sprite and it works great!)

Good luck!

Country flag
A belated welcome to the forum!

Last edited:

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi There Bill,

"Welcome" to "THEE" best LBC site anywhere.

Suggestion: Take your time! Don`t rush into anything! The result will be well worth it!!

Happy Motoring days ahead.

Russ