• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Oil gallery plug

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I was just about to fire up a 1275 I've completely rebuilt and while cranking to get oil pressure, discovered that the front oil gallery plug is leaking profusely. The machine shop installed new ones. I had a feeling I should have just left the old ones, but you can't really get the block clean without pulling them. This has never happened to me before. Anyway, I have this thing all set up on a test stand and don't want to completely disassemble things and haul it back to the shop, so I'm wondering, since it's accessible without taking anything apart, if there is anything that be done to stake this one better. If not, my other thought is to yank it out and thread the hole for a pipe plug. I can't locate the two I pulled out of another block I have, so I'm wondering if anyone can give me the correct size I need to do this.

WP_001438.jpgWP_001450.jpg

bug_sixty

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Well, here's what I found on mine....the U and L gasket set with the black head gasket didn't include that copper O ring....I had to buy it from a place that sells such... They didn't the the water ring either....Who knows what improvising was done in your assembly. sorry don't know the size

OP
Gerard

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I met the collapsible copper ring....one and only that does the trick 80lb of pressure....

Are you referring to the head gasket? I'm talking about the oil gallery plug at the front of the block, just below the water pump. (see 2nd pic)

The originals are a thick brass plug, but what you get today is a metal cap, similar to the water jacket freeze plugs.

Country flag
I do not know the size, but wouldn't tapping it create a risk of metal swarf in the oil.

OP
Gerard

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I do not know the size, but wouldn't tapping it create a risk of metal swarf in the oil.

Yeah, there's that, but with some grease on the tap and the fact the the hole is horizontal, it would be pretty easy to clean out with a magnet and a couple Q-tips. I'm tempted to see if I can knock this in a little farther and see if I can stake the edges first. I'm just not sure if that's a secure solution. Another option is to remove this one and see if I can find some brass bar stock that would be a press fit.

Last edited:
OP
Gerard

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Also, someone out there has the real deal plug in there spare bolt jar.... I would wait and getter right....

If someone does or have a source for one, I'd like to know.

OP
Gerard

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
So you are using a straight coarse thread rather than a pipe thread. I have one race engine done this way, but I will probably do threaded plugs in all future builds.

Dug

Jedi Trainee
Gerard, you have a PM....

I put 1/4 NPT pipe pipe plugs in every MG engine I build instead of the brass plugs, but i don't think I would do this now in a built engine, the oil galley is no palce you want to have any metal shaving in, it's a direct feed to the crank bearings. I would repalce the plug, or use a steel type core plug.

Alan, I think you meant 1/4" NPT.