• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Dis-assembly of fresh air duct

Tim Tucker

Jedi Trainee
Platinum
Country flag
Hi all!
I'm in the middle of a dash project. Looking for anyone that can offer advice removing the 'valve'(AP3) and 'spindle'(AP4) from the fresh air duct. Below is a copy of plate AP from the TR4 parts manual. Any help is greatly appreciated. The only option I see is to use a long punch and drive the spindle from the air control 'valve'. Thanks for any help. Tim.

PLATE AP:

PLATE_AP.png

Fresh%20Air%20Tubes%20(4).JPG

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Never done it, looks like a delicate operation where something could easily get broken, why do you need to take apart? any alternative to complete disassembly?

Bob_Muzio

Jedi Trainee
I don't have an answer for you but since you have the ducts out here is a suggestion to allow air flow to the foot well area. I drilled a hole on the bottom of each duct and mounted a aircraft "fish eye" air vent. I now can direct cooling air to the leg/foot area.
Bob

Tony P

Hey Bob, I would like to see a picture of your fish eye vent. And maybe some ideas about how you put it in.

Tony

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I looked at a possible disassembly of this unit and decided that it was not to be. So I did a reasonable good clean up and painted it then reglued the felt pieces back on ( they are important to be able to make the seal to close off the units). But I did as Bob said and installed the extra vents. They are called ball and socket air vents as used in airplanes. I got mine from Aircraft Spruce and Specialty Co. in Corona, CA. This was back in 2009 and they were $18.00 a piece then. Phone number was 1-877 4 spruce or 477-7823. It only requires a single hole for installation and they work great. you will not regret having installed these units.
Charley:encouragement:

OP
Tim Tucker

Tim Tucker

Jedi Trainee
Platinum
Country flag
Many thanks for the feedback. Those 'ball-and-socket' or 'fish eye' vents are a great idea. May have to to get in on that.

I took mine apart today. Cleaned, media blasted the duct and flap, powder coated those two parts satin black, re-used the thick felt pieces, and everything else for that matter. Went pretty smooth. They still open and close, and no broken parts...:smile: Here are some pics... Now I move on to the center dash plinth...:smile:
Tim
After%20(4).JPG

After%20(3).JPG

Bob_Muzio

Jedi Trainee
@Charlyf, I'm glad you like the mod. I submitted an article which was published in the magazine of the VTR, TVT, with pictures. Yes, Aircraft Spruce is the source for the air vents.
@Tonyp, the installation can be done without removing the duct from the car. Just hang yourself upside down under the dash (the ability to do this is a pre requisite to work on TRs) and using a hole saw on a power drill cut the required hole, drill a few screw holes and install the vents.

Bob_Muzio

Jedi Trainee
Tony P, if you're at Triumphest/VTR in San Rafael this October look for me and I'll show the mod to you.