• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 69 TR6 crash pads -where to purchase

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
I need some help in ordering left and right crash pads. I ordered a pair from TRF, but wasn't happy with the quality and returned them. I ordered a pair from Rimmer Bros. but they were even worse and have a big gap where they join at the center console. The shipping is too expensive to return them. I don't think I am that picky, I just want something that fits. Anyone buy a pair recently that they are happy with and can tell me where they purchased them from? Any help is greatly appreciated,
Kevin

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Kevin-
When I was restoring my TR6 I also ordered crash pads from Rimmer and some of the threaded studs in the lower pads did not line-up with the holes in the metal dash. When I contacted them, they told me to keep them and also credited my charge card. You certainly cannot ask for more than that. Have you contacted Rimmers to let them know of the problem?

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I was going to say TRF but they may have changed suppliers because I'm very happy with mine from them I got 10 years ago. Try Victoria British.

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
No, in all fairness, I did not contact Rimmer Bros. A year has passed since I bought them, and I doubt they would deal with me at this point after waiting a year to finally put them in. There were two problems with their pads. One is that the screw holes do not match as you mentioned. The other issue is for some reason they decided to indent the ends at an angle. Even if I redrilled, I don't think they would look right. Maybe they have a different center console they match up to. So, what did you end up doing?

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
No, in all fairness, I did not contact Rimmer Bros. A year has passed since I bought them, and I doubt they would deal with me at this point after waiting a year to finally put them in. There were two problems with their pads. One is that the screw holes do not match as you mentioned. The other issue is for some reason they decided to indent the ends at an angle. Even if I redrilled, I don't think they would look right. Maybe they have a different center console they match up to. So, what did you end up doing?
OK here is the rest of the story.... I ended up moving the studs. I drilled new holes for the studs to line up with the metal inner dash. When I was sure that everything fit, I used epoxy to glue them in place. After everything was installed and looking good I conntacted Rimmer again and told them they were welcome to re-charge my card as I ended up using the crash pads. Again they were gracious and said to keep them since I had to do all the work on them.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Here are some photos of the install... I think they matched up pretty good.
TR6 dash 001c.jpgTR6 dash 002.jpgTR6 dash 003.jpg

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
They do look nice, Elliot. I think I will try your idea of removing the studs and gluing them in again. You said you just used regular epoxy to do this? Any other tips?

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Here's what I did... I measured, then measured again before moving the stud to a new location on the crash pad. I used a string (because its a curved surface) to measure from the center of a hole where a stud fit into correctly to the center of the next hole on the metal dash. Then I used the string to transfer that distance to the back of the crash pad; drilled a small hole (careful not to go through pad!) and epoxied the stud into place after dry fitting first.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Alternately, I guess you could remove the stud that doesn't lineup with the hole in the metal dash and press the crash pad against the metal dash and mark the hole from the rear. Do let us know how it goes.
That's odd that we both got the pads from the same supplier and had the same defect. As I recall, the lower right (passenger) side was the worst one.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
As I recall the holes didn't line up right on the ones I bought from TRF, I just drilled new holes for them, it is just a hair short on the drivers side where it hits the center piece, but not very noticeable unless you look at it from just the right angle.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Did you try British Parts Northwest,in Dayton,Oregon?I got the dash parts I needed from them.Great quality,&good prices. - Doug

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
Thanks for all the suggestions. I was able to remove, relocate, and epoxy the studs. I really didn't' think the epoxy idea would work - the originals had metal plates. A special thank you to Elliot. The pads fit great now.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Way to go Kevin... :encouragement:

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
Camera not broken - can't figure out how to post a pic from my new iPad. My regular computer I use is down at the moment.