• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New guy with a Bugeye

Nader

Hi there. I just got this '71 Midget with a Bugeye bonnet. The nice gentleman I bought it from had owned it since '07, and bought it off eBay from someone in Ohio. Len, if you're reading this, it was a pleasure to deal with you.

What I know of this car's details is second or third-hand and incomplete. It was reportedly set up as "rally racer" (not sure in what respect). It was stripped of most of its interior, some lighting, bumpers, and heater. Bonnet seams and exterior door handles were shaved and filled, as were marker lights and rear plate light. Also had a performance engine build (not sure to what extent), including possibly a camshaft. Fenders are obviously flared. Prior owner said he rebuilt the engine because of leaking valve guides, rebushed and powdercoated the suspension, and also restored some of the interior. He replaced the differential with a taller ratio (original was 4.2:1?) because he was "chirping the tires and topping out at 60." That sounded odd to me, but he gave me that differential in a bucket and I mean to physically count the teeth to see what the actual ratio is.

Anyhow, the car runs strong. It feels strong to me based on what I remember from my ex '81 Spitfire. I currently race a 1.8L vintage Alfa Spider, and have tough battles with Midgets, so I know what they're capable of. Speaking of Alfas, I'm familiar with and partial to Webers, so I plan to convert this SU setup to a single Weber 45 DCOE. Brakes are veeeery weak, so that needs attention. As do a couple of minor oil leaks. And it needs to be wired for a horn. Also have to get used to that non-syncro first gear.

Steering is incredibly quick, and the ride is a little harsh. Very much a go-kart. Paint is great. Body is solid, but there's surface rust in the trunk at the rear apron. Bolt-in roll bar was added later. Because there's no heat, prior owner put seat heaters in under the new seat upholstery. Not wired up yet. Windshield is Lexan, but I have stock one with new glass as part of the deal. Windshield wiper is just a prop. Convertible top frame without the vinyl was included, but I doubt I'll install it. Also got the door cards, but I'll probably just rivet on some bare aluminum panels. Carpet set is new. Steering wheel is tired but feels good. Really annoyed at fumbling with the flimsy and frayed hold-down straps for the bonnet and trunk lid. Those are going to be converted to latches for sure.

That's about it. I'm excited about this car, and am trying to keep myself from going overboard with performance modifications. It's easy to do on something that's already been hacked, lightened, and made unoriginal. It gets a lot of attention, and I need a shorter answer for explaining what it is, because I gets asked that a lot. So there it is, and here's a couple pics below.

Oh, I mean to ask, does anyone out there know this car from its previous life? If so, could you share some details of its build? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0796.jpg
    IMG_0796.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_0791.jpg
    IMG_0791.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_0810.jpg
    IMG_0810.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 123
Country flag
Welcome to the forum. I think Jim Gruber may know something about this car.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
I do indeed know this car. Originally owned/built by Skip Petersen out of Dayton, OH. This car was autocrossed big time around Dayton probably 8-10 years back. I was planning on converting Bugsy my '68 Sprite to a BE front end and this was my planned color scheme. I had talked with Skip and lo and behold I walked into MG Automotive in Kettering, OH and here was Skip's car painted in my planned color scheme. Bugsy I as a result ended up BRG instead. Skip sold the car to a guy in Hamilton who was trying to convert to orignal specs but never got it done. Skip bought the car back and then I lost track of it 4-5 years ago. This one had some nice deseaming done on the rear of the car and it looked great. Interior is much better than remembered. You can get details on what went into this car from Steve Miller owner of MG Automotive in Kettering, OH 937-294-7623. He did much of the work on this car and he can put you in touch with Skip Petersen. Steve can probably let you know what type of cam went into this car, engine mods etc. The guy next door to MG Automotive did the paint and body work so you can get the original color info on this Yellow. Thinking Corvette Yellow or S-2000 Spa Yellow. It's bright, bright, bright.

Grille has been replaced. It was a Wire SS Mesh which actually looked very good. When I last saw it it only had a rally driver's seat and battery was in passenger seat on the floor. Re. Weber's vs. SU's I go back to a Classic Motorsports comparison Test from several years back or SU vs. Webers. Performance wise Webers seemed to be slightly better at WOT >5,000 RPM conditions vs. the SU's but for day to day tractability SU's seem to be much easier to live with and the experience from a lot of readers of this list seems to indicate that the Webers deliver significantly less MPG around town. I'd get someone who knows SU's to take a look at what you've got and make sure they are set up properly before dropping $ for Webers.

Door cards, someone on this list can probably get you hooked up with door cards and likely window glass. I'm seeing Spridget Doors with glass going for < $50 a door. And you can get door handles back as well. I remember this car with aluminum panels in place of door cards. You can also find reasonable trunk lids so you can get a Trunk Latch back, again I'm seeing for < $50.

Hood latches, McMaster Carr , Stainless Steel Locking Draw Latches is what I used for Bugsy but they also list some of those Rubber Bungy Hold Down Straps like what were on the car when I last saw it.

This was a very well set up AutoCross Car in its day. Quick and darty. Re. Rear Diff, this one could have been set up with a 4.55 as it was specifically set up for AutoCross. Steve Miller used to race a nice Sprite at Mid Ohio 8-10 years ago so I know he knew how to properly set this car up for racing on track or AutoCross. Hey hope I helped provide some history and gave you where to go to find out more on this car. Good luck on your new purchase.

RickB

Yoda
I saw that on Craigslist and said "wow" that's a lot of car for the asking price.
I think you got a nice one there!

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Hmm, Skip Petersen owned this car but originally in the care of a guy with first name of Fred. Now that my brain has noodled on this a while. Still Steve Miller best bet on finding more about this car. If you are serior about converison to a Weber. There is a brand new Weber 40DCOE, AirCleaner, and Intake Manifold for sale over on SpriteSpot.com under new parts section. NFI just passing it on.

I've got pics of the original SS Wire Mesh Grille I can post.As well as interesting paint treatment for Vega Wheels that were on this car.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Rick, I'm sure you've got someone local who is an SU expert who can help him out as well.

bug_sixty

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Heh Fred I'm seriously thinking of returning to SU's...I have an older Italian 45 setup which was recently rebuilt. Intake and all the fixins. Send a PM... we can talk...

RickB

Yoda
Rick, I'm sure you've got someone local who is an SU expert who can help him out as well.

I so wish I knew an actual SU expert.
Personally I'm a hack who figures them out as I go, but have been doing that for a long time now.
Maybe if all I did every day for a decade was work on SU's I'd start to have them figured out.
That said, I know which way to turn the nut or the screw to lean and richen them and that a well tuned pair of SU's is about the best thing you can do for your engine IMHO.

bug_sixty

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Opps, Nader I mean, If you stay with the SU's, there's a shop up in Lynnwood off of 99 that many a British car owner takes there car... It's not the place you think it is....European repair, but there's a couple of guy's in there that KNOW SU's...

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I don't see a heater in there... so bundle up on those crisp Seattle mornings in the off-season (if you drive it then). 'Course you won't need it often (but I do like a little heat on occasion down here in Portland).

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
See we've already solved half of his issues. Who's got extra doors so he can get door handles and window glass back. It does rain in the PNW. And definitely need a heater becasue it does sometimes get cold there and top down, heater on full, and tonneau is one of my most favorite times to tool around. And we've got to help him out with the windshield wiper thing because it does rain in the PNW.

OP
N

Nader

Wow, Jim, thanks for all the info! I'll follow up with those contacts. I kind of figured that this was a small community and this car is memorable, but was a little doubtful that anyone who knew the car would be online and at this particular forum.

There's no drivability issue with the current SU, and if this car was really that dialed-in in this configuration, I might be better off leaving it as is. And I'm not interested in adding windows, heater or a top. I have a couple other fun cars that do better in our usual foul weather, so I'll keep this one as a stripped, light-weight fair-weather car, however seldom that may be. Treat it like a motorcycle. But I do plan on wiring up the seat heaters. Kind of like heated grips on a motorcycle, that little touch may go a long ways towards warding off a morning chill.

Flared fenders seem to be begging for wider wheels and tires, but I don't want to add weight and lose the light steering and nimble feel. I know that when I reduced the wheels+tires on my street Alfa Duetto from 205/15 to 185/14, it felt like I added 20 HP and the car seemed to become more responsive.

It cracks me up how the battery is about as big as the engine block. Maybe as heavy, too. So I'll probably swap it for a smaller Odyssey PC680. I run that in my race car and it has no problem cranking a high compression 1.8, all the way from the trunk.

Thanks again for all the input, and I welcome any more info. and advice.

G

I've got a single Dellorto 40 and manifold as well as a pair of DCOE 40s off of a '74 Alpha.

G

II was planning on converting Bugsy my '68 Sprite to a BE front end and this was my planned color scheme. I had talked with Skip and lo and behold I walked into MG Automotive in Kettering, OH and here was Skip's car painted in my planned color scheme..

Hmmmm, did ya kick him squa' in'na nuts? :madder:

That woulda really ****** me off.

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
Nader
That yellow Spridget was Len Hansen's who lives in Maple Valley (where I used to live).
He had a complete other Spridget in the back yard in pieces and I am surprised that he didn't give them to you. He had complete doors and windshields, etc.
You may want to call him and see if he wants to get rid of the extra stuff!
BillM

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Nader, A few other pics I found. Fred1 small.jpgFred3.jpg.JPGFred5.jpg.JPG
The body shop guy did do a nice job de-seaming Wheel treatment was interesting

OP
N

Nader

Hi Bill. Small world. Yes, I bought the car from Len, and he's now in Bellevue. I suspect he sold most of his Spridget stuff before he moved. He had a few extras he gave me like the windshield and frame, along with a top frame and other small bits.

Thanks for those pics, Jim. I think I like the current slotted mag wheels better.

OP
N

Nader

I noticed the car is listing to the left. In Bill's pic above, it seems to be listing to the right, which would make more sense to compensate for the driver's weight. Tire pressures are equal. Nothing seems broken. Any ideas?
And here's a pic of the current wheels.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 67
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 63