• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

79 Midget,what size fuse do i need in each of the 4 slots?

Blackjokr

Jedi Warrior
can anyone help/post a diagram? Also anyone have a spare trunk light switch?? Thanks!

Lou

OP
B

Blackjokr

Jedi Warrior
yes but a lot of the elecrtical items do not work. As of now the Hazards work fine, headlights ok, radio ok, ignition on, cigarette lighter working, map light working, trunk light working, one tail light (yellow) is on when lights are on (few suggested bad ground so tracking that down), blinkers do NOT work, horns do NOT work, windshielf lfuid pump does NOT work, wipers do NOT work, but i noticed last night in turning on the wipers i can hear what sounds like relay or somethign engaging in the wiper motor , headlight high beams work ok from stalk. Now the #$%^#^# that repainted the car pulled a lot of wiring out and some were like that when I bought it. been testing and fixing wires here and there. it's been fun. I noticed I haev i think two 15 amps and two 20 amps in there (forget eher each is) and noticed after eplacing one 15a with a 20a that those items would nto work anymore. I read someone asking abotu a 17Amp fuse???? So if anyone can help mucho appreciated! :smile: thanks!

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
If I recall correctly the 30 Amp British Fuse is equivalent to todays 17 Amp Fuse. See if others get the same recollection.

OP
B

Blackjokr

Jedi Warrior
ok i buy American! lol...i guss i'm tryign to figure out if they should all be 15Amps?

nomad

Yoda
Trusty continuity check light and a wiring diagram and I'm sure you'll track it down. Tail light should be easy since one works you know the problem is in the trunk [boot]. The windshield wiper's are a bit worrisome since I don't believe there should be a clicking sound from the motor ever. They are always hot and the switch ground's them.

Kurt.

G

Remind me tomorrow and I'll look at mine. I have a PERFECT factory harness in mine. Where's he pull wires from? I'll see if I can get you pics.

OP
B

Blackjokr

Jedi Warrior
cripes..all over. I found the heater fan wires and hooked up. The washer pump is hooked up but no love there. The wires from the turn signals in the front are all laying open. The horns do not work as of yet. Also when I hit the window wipers I hear a small click in what i think is the wiper motor, but no activity.

G

Clean all of your contact points, as in where the fuses live and wires hook up. I had some trouble with mine and that's all it was. Check your grounds and make sure theiy're clean.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Drew (droozart) has written an article on fuses - which I can never find when I need it (anyone?) In the meantime, Billy is correct, clean all the contacts and check your grounds. In terms of the wiper motor, before you do anything, open it up, clean out the old grease (which will be like concrete) regrease and re-install.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
You need to go through all of the bullet connectors one by one and clean the Green off. And then you will discover that most of the stuff that is not working, except where it got messed with will start working one again. A Dremel Tool with a Wire Brush works on the Male End and a small Drill bit or really tiny honing stone in Dremel works on the female side. Get the Green out.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
As Kelly says about cleaning all the bullet connectors, not a 5 min. job as their all over the place! But when you do, coat them with electrical contact grease, it only takes a tiny bit. The female ends are prone to cracking inside and losing their grip, if that's the case, Moss has them in single and double contacts and their not that expensive. PJ

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Go to a sporting goods store and get a copper gun bore cleaning brush, chuck it in a drill and you can make quick work of those female connectors. Since I have my harness removed I was able to mount the drill and leave it running...quick and easy! The copper brushes are easy on the connectors and tough on corrosion. I follow up with Corrosion X which works wonders on my boat which is in saltwater and after 15 years the connectors look new. Add a little dielectric grease and Bobs you uncle.
Rut

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
That's what I was thinking of, a bore cleaning brush. Brain could not remember what it was. Too much knowledge, unfortunately can't retrieve it. I hate those days.

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Jim, I live in a constant state of CRS and it ain't getting any better!
Rut

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
X2!!!!

OP
B

Blackjokr

Jedi Warrior
thanks guys! you are the best!!

OP
B

Blackjokr

Jedi Warrior
OK YOU GUYS ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOCK! All i did tonight is gently clean off the fuse box connectors half heartedly for a qick test inside and out and the attached wires and the passenger tailight came on, the horn gave me a little "beep" so I hooked it to the battery and one of the two so far works (just gotta clean up the wires/check for faulty wiring connections), the tail marker I repaired with a kit from Vic. Brit worked too, as well as the cigarette lighter light (I don't know why but I had to have that stupid thing working or I felt dumb!! super cool! However looks like I ran the battery down so its on a charger overnight but wow, after looking at the cruddy connectors i could see why the components fail. The lights actually got brighter too! So now I am up to the washer pump, the wiper motor, the front blinkers, finish the horns, and we'll see what's next! Looks like I have a lot of cleaning and greasing to do but you guys are simply amazing. Thank YOU *VERY* much!!!

OP
B

Blackjokr

Jedi Warrior
lol..classic!