• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Any Jeep Grand Wagoneer owners out there?

wkilleffer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Hey all,

My brother recently found a website that advertises a restoration service for Jeep Grand Wagoneers, preferably between the years of 1987 and 1991. The service is supposed to make the vehicle better than new, for a price, of course. Current inventory seems to run between $39000 and $41000 per vehicle depending on year. Good money if you can get it, I suppose...

The two of us have fun memories of a late model Grand Wagoneer owned by a friend, and seeing that got me curious about them. They have been on and off my automotive bucket list for quite some time.

They show up for sale in the area surrounding me from time to time, and Im not too interested in paying that much for a fixed one even if it is better than new. Would rather buy a decent one and wrench it back to happiness.

But all this makes me wonder about the availability of restoration parts, trim bits, etc. So many that I have seen seem to have rust in the rear quarters. Is that something that can be fixed, and fixed well?

Any stories, ideas, etc would be appreciated.

-Bill

G

I had an '87 and loved it. You must be talking aout the guy in Texas, WAY overpriced and NOT restored. Read his list, basic maint that should be done anyway.

Great trucks, HORRIBLE milage! I'd love another one but the milage is just too bad. That being said, buy one if you want one. I haven't been able to find a supplier of trim and interior stuff. Just find a clean one. I wish you would have been looking 8 months ago, my GW turned up in a junk yard and it still had nice interior. As far as rust, anything can be fixed, it's just time and money.

This might do better in the pub.

OP
wkilleffer

wkilleffer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I do not think he is the only one who does some kind of fix-up on these. Seems like there is another one that may be even pricier.

Yeah, even in the early 90s they seemed thirsty. Not sure how long that family kept the one they bought. At one point, they owned a Range Rover County LWB, which is another car I would not mind having, at least for awhile.

Brother and I were talking about what a shame it was that a 4-spd auto could not be easily installed in one, but even that would not cure the poor gas mileage, just ease it a little.

I cant/shouldnt buy anything like that right now, but that wont be an issue forever. Please pardon the broken apostrophe key lol.

-Bill