• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Moss Centre Binnacle Kit

MinnesotaVegans

Freshman Member
Has anyone installed this kit? Does it include good instuctions? How long did it take? We have the SPI mini with Nippon guages above the steering wheel.

dklawson

Yoda
Before you invest in the kit I suggest you make sure the speedometer supplied with it is correct for your car's gearing.

There are/were many speedometers for Minis over the years. They may all look similar but there were several different calibrations. They are classified by their turns-per-mile (TPM) number. The TPM number is influenced by your tire size and final drive gearing. Visit the Guess-Works web site and click on the "tech" link there. John has information that should help you identify what your current TPM is. Once you know what you have you can contact Moss and see if the speedo in their kit has the same TMP number.
https://www.guess-works.com/

In answer to your direct question, I have not used their kit. However, Moss kits generally have a good reputation and I doubt you will go wrong if the speedo is correct. That being said, you may find the same kit for less money either at Seven, Mini Mania, or more importantly... Mini Spares. For example, go to the Mini Spares site and look up the part numbers listed below.
https://www.minispares.com/default.aspx
Gauge kit: 13H4442KIT
Adapter harness: PM05
When you are buying above a certain dollar value (like this) the shipping charges melt away and it becomes very economical to buy direct from the U.K.

M_and_P

I put my own together with vintage parts and saved a ton of money, had to recondition a few parts, but once my buddy gets back from his vacation thats our next project on the Mini. I bought a lot of the stuff in the UK and had it all shipped to a friend over there who collected it all and shipped it for me in one package. I spent about $100 US on the used biannacle and guages and $40 USD on the conversion wiring from Mini Sport. If you don't want to put the time in restoring the guages (cleaning them up and getting some parts rechromed) the Moss kit is all brand new and shiny but it is about $800 when you figure the shipping in.

dklawson

Yoda
That is why I provided the link to Mini Spares. Their kit plus the separate conversion harness totals 245 GBP which is $385 at today's exchange rate. You would have to add shipping and sometimes UPS charges a handling fee to move packages through Customs. That will bring your Mini Spares totalled price up another $50 or so (guessing based on past purchases). When you add shipping to the Moss kit you can see that Mini Spares is very competitive. Mini Sport probably offers something similar if you want to compare other U.K. vendors.

Regardless, before you buy check the TPM number of what you have against what is in these kits. If the TPM numbers are not close, the speedo will be inaccurate. You can figure out how inaccurate using simple math. For example, if you have a Mini with a 1376 TPM number speedometer and the kit contains a 1280 TPM speedo, take the ratio of the two numbers and you will know the error. In this example, your car turns the speedo cable at 1376 RPM at 60 MPH. If you hook up a 1280 TPM speedometer it will be turning "faster" so 1376/1280 = 1.075. That means instead of showing 60 MPH your speedometer will read 60 x 1.075 = 64.5 MPH. Your odometer will also read high by the same percentage.