• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Lower Radiator Hose Failure

bobh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Just a little info/tip for TR6 owners.

On Friday afternoon the temperature gauge in my TR6 went all the way to the top. A quick check under the hood revealed a slight drip from the right angle hose that attaches to the lower leg of the water pump housing. In other words the lower line from the bottom of the radiator up to the water pump housing. I added water to the radiator and drove home.
The hose was falling apart. Which surprised me because it is less than 6 years old. It was advertised as Kevlar Reinforced.
I was disappointed because I wanted to drive some over the holiday weekend. I removed the hose and went to NAPA hoping to find a hose with the right diameter and a right angle bend. It turns out they carry a hose for a 75 TR6. PN 8632 Hose - Radiator Lower Cut to length.
The hose is L shaped with enough material on the short leg to get a little further onto the pump housing or the hard pipe. The bonus is the long leg has enough to not only get a little further onto the hard line\pump. It also has enough left over to replace the hose that connects to the lower outlet of the radiator.
In my case that hose was showing signs of deterioration too. Curiously the upper radiator hose was completely intact. Same source, same Kevlar reinforcemant. The only difference was the lower hoses have some oil on them from the chronic drip at the front of the engine.

The last time I flushed and refilled the cooling system was when i installed those hoses. So I decided to drain, pour in the flush, fill, drive, drain, fill, drive, drain, fill.... at least twice more than recommended to ensure the system was clean and the water crystal clear. My radiator does not have a drain spigot. Removing the lowest hose is a bit of a pain. I found it easier if I unclamped the right angle hose first. This is the hose that originally went bad. Then removed the hard line from the lowest hose and the pump housing at the same time. It just seemed a lot easier to remove and to reinstall than trying to remove the hard line from the short lowest hose.

Back in the saddle again,
BOBH

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
The only difference was the lower hoses have some oil on them from the chronic drip at the front of the engine.
That's fairly common. Engine oil will cause most kinds of synthetic rubber to deteriorate; generally including belts, hoses, motor mounts and so on.

My radiator does not have a drain spigot.

FWIW, any radiator shop can add the drain for you. Costs almost nothing if you have them do it as part of another service. Shouldn't be more than about $20 (if you take them the radiator) even for just that.

I keep a set of hoses & belts sealed in a "zip loc" baggie in the center of the rear tire. Cheap insurance, IMO. Of course they still don't last forever even sealed in the bag, but the belt I had in there for some 15 years seemed to be in good shape. And even if they are a bit "tired", they should last long enough to get home.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Bob- Think I saw that Moss has Sili hoses now

OP
bobh

bobh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hi Don,

I saw those silicone hoses in their catalog. Don't recall the price. I was happy to find a hose at NAPA. In fact I was quite surprised. I think I'll do like Randal and buy a complete set to keep in the trunk. I have a set of belts there already but I don't think replacing a belt would be easily done on the side of the road.
Last year at the Mitty I noticed Richard Good has a spare belt zip tied to the frame. I believe he put it there after jacking the engine to clear the cross member. That way if he loses his belt. Replacing it is much easier. Once you get home you can go through the jacking proceedure to position a new spare.
Good idea that I need to use sometime soon.

BOBH

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Now that's thinking
But what else would you expect from RG?

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
Or that he read the Haynes manual and followed it's recommendation.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Ken- If it's in the Haynes.
Good reason I didn't know of it.
I've never ever seen one in person