• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Open hole on Transmission

001macdonald

Freshman Member
asset.php

Attachments

• IMG_0996.jpg
    IMG_0996.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 68

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
What is this opening and should it have a plug or bolt in it? It's just to the rear of the master clutch arm on the bottom.

Do not plug it, it's a drain hole for any oil or water that gets into the bell housing. Normally it has a cotter pin, also known as a jiggle pin, to keep the hole from becoming plugged.

OP

001macdonald

Freshman Member
thanks for the info...Glad I didn't plug it. I had just finished topping up the transmission with Max-Life Oil (20-50) and noticed dripping from the hole. Is it possible to overfill the transmission?

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
thanks for the info...Glad I didn't plug it. I had just finished topping up the transmission with Max-Life Oil (20-50) and noticed dripping from the hole. Is it possible to overfill the transmission?

If you are filling from the filler plug on the gearbox, it's not possible to overfill unless you did it with the nose up. It is possible for the front cover to leak. There is a bolt on cover. if it's loose or if your scroll seal is badly worn, you will lose oil from the front. Front covers are now available with a true lip seal, but you also need to check the input shaft for wear also. A Speedi-Sleeve can be used to restore the surface.

David_Doan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
If you are filling from the filler plug on the gearbox, it's not possible to overfill unless you did it with the nose up. It is possible for the front cover to leak. There is a bolt on cover. if it's loose or if your scroll seal is badly worn, you will lose oil from the front. Front covers are now available with a true lip seal, but you also need to check the input shaft for wear also. A Speedi-Sleeve can be used to restore the surface.

Are the new front covers for the ribcase only, or will they also fit on the smoothcase?

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Are the new front covers for the ribcase only, or will they also fit on the smoothcase?

I've only been able to find the ones for the rib case. To the best of my knowledge, those are the only ones made. The cover will bolt up to a smooth case, but the fork and hence the pivot point on both the cover and fork are different.

David_Doan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
That's what I thought. My car has a decent 948 and a wore out smoothcase. I don't want to invest in rebuilding it, but not leaking would be nice in the short term.

Long term is a 1275 or a Japanese motor with ribcase or 5 speed.

David_Doan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

So if the front seal is worn, how much lower is the input shaft than the fill hole? Safe to run it at that level?

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
So if the front seal is worn, how much lower is the input shaft than the fill hole? Safe to run it at that level?

The scroll seal is not designed to hold back oil when stationary, so even a full gearbox would not leak from the shaft. If the cover gasket is compromised or the nuts were loose, then yes, almost any level is going to cause a drip into the bell housing. The issue is oil accumulating or leaking while the shaft is spinning.