• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

My little 68' Sprite

Slick Willy

Hello all. I just wanted to post a few pics of our 68 sprite. My wife and I are now the proud owners, it was past to us from an Uncle who bought it new. I am new to british cars. So far I have redone the brake system and installed a new fuel tank. The car runs great but does need some work. The top is shot. The original steering wheel broke and had to be replaced, sad I really like the way it looked. The heater core is busted and by passed. It is a blast to drive and we have fell in love with it. austin7.jpgaustin10.jpgaustin12.jpgaustin1.jpgaustin15.jpg

OP
S

Slick Willy

While out for a drive not to long ago, we got offered a hard top for $200. I'm not sure if it would fit or be worth it as it needs new window seals. I'm sorry for the poor photos as I had to use my phone. The pics in the above post are from awhile back when my Uncle still had the car.austin8.jpgaustin9.jpgaustin9.jpg

G

Thanks bug_sixty. Are the seats ok? Is something not right?

Yes, something is highly irregular, they're in great shape. :grin:

So, you got a free one-owner car, you know the entire life history on it and it has seats with no damage. That isn't fair. Anyone live close to him that has a sharp knife? :jester:

That's awesome Willy!

nomad

Yoda
I don't think you can go wrong on the hardtop for $200 either. Side windows are plexi and the seal's are available. Depends though on whether you are hard top folk's...they're not really a necessity.

Kurt.

OP
S

Slick Willy

Thanks for the info Kellysguy and nomad. The top is on a MG, it kinda looks like our Sprite but has a 3 wiper setup and has been beat to death. The top has no cracks just the window seals are shot. Do you think it would fit my car? Where would I find window seals? Any pointers would be great and thanks for the help.

G

Depends though on whether you are hard top folk's...they're not really a necessity.

Kurt.

I use mine for winter storage or when I have to park it under the pole shed. I'd try for around $100 using lack of windows and seals as a reason.

OP
S

Slick Willy

Thanks kellysguy. The top has all the glass just needs seals. Do they still make seals for this type? If so, who? I have not found any sources yet, but I dont have much to pick from here in eastren Kentucky. I tried a search and have came up empty handed. The man also has a spare 1275 which I hope to get. I will try and talk him down. The top needs to be refinished but is crack free and clean on the inside. My soft top is full of holes and rips. I would like to have the hard top for trips and winter storage.

RickB

Yoda
Best bet may be to get it cheap then spend a little more at an auto glass place.
Finding the right seals may be a problem, but the pros likely have something they can use.

G

Best bet may be to get it cheap then spend a little more at an auto glass place.
Finding the right seals may be a problem, but the pros likely have something they can use.

Doesn't camper tops use a cut-to-fit seal?

nomad

Yoda
I got some seals for the factory top from Macgregor a while back. I think he's still around but best to do business with him by phone since E-mails don't seem to work.

OP
S

Slick Willy

Thanks Nomad, that sounds great! I will try and look him up. Thanks for all the help guy's it really means alot. I'm kinda stuck out here in the mountains. I'm from a really small town and not much in the way of experts on these little cars or parts for that matter. I order a shop manual hope it gets here this week. I was reading on the Harley muffler. I hope to do that mod soon, looking at a stainless exhaust as well. Once more thanks for all your help guy's, means alot to a green horn.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
MacGregor advertises in the back of Classic Motor Sports BTW. 800# for their office in Canada. Another good source for any type of Rubber Gasket or Seal for LBC's. Again phone them, e-mail is a foreign thing to them.

OP
S

Slick Willy

Thanks for the info on Mcgregors will be given them a call. Not to change subjects. I have found a Harley softtail muffler without the cross over hole. It is the bullet shaped one, would this be the correct type muffler to use? Can I punch out the center and use as is or would I need to do more? Love the way it looks on some of the pics I have seen. I have a mig welder, any other supplies I would need other than hangers and reducer pipe? Thanks.

David_Doan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
G

I have found a Harley softtail muffler without the cross over hole. It is the bullet shaped one, would this be the correct type muffler to use? Can I punch out the center and use as is or would I need to do more? I have a mig welder, any other supplies I would need other than hangers and reducer pipe? Thanks.

Everything you need to know is in this thread :https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf/showthread.php?90395-muffler-advice

I'd punch it out, note: that mean remove completely, not just knock a hole in it. I wouldn't do stainless exhaust either as it comes as a kit. You'd be buying another muffler you wouldn't be using. One of the main bennifits of the H-D muffler is it's cheap. That enables you to spend money on something else.

Is Karl still around? I need to get him to hear how quite this thing is so he can tell you guys. I can't get my vid to post in youtube.