• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

$17,601 and 52 bids

Country flag
I don't know what to say.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Glad I brought Bugsy II for 10% of that. Someone is smoking crack with that that price.

RickB

Yoda
You never can tell about potential buyers.
Even though I had plenty of pictures up for my MK2 Sprite there were still people coming out to see it and saying "oh, I was looking for a big healey".
Seriously?

bug_sixty

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Well, show car for sure....I'm glad it raised the juices of at least 52 individuals... our breed deserves an example that's preserved for the public to see....If it didn't go for this price who knows what would be next for this "rare barn find"...resurrected and destined to be covered in blue ribbons... I'm toasting!!

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
More money than brains! That's all I'm saying.

Keith_M

Jedi Knight
Country flag
It looks to be totally original, unrestored, and remarkably rust-free. How many more are there in that condition?

I have to admit I was intrigued by the photos ... not $17K intrigued mind you, but intrigued.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Without the original key, it's worthless. :highly_amused:

OP
W

Whitephrog

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
There were actually 19 bidder who placed a total of 52 bids. Many of the bidders had little eBay experience. There is at least another $10k to put into the car maybe more.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
It looks to be totally original, unrestored, and remarkably rust-free. How many more are there in that condition?

And that's just the problem IMHO. It's not a preserved example of a new car. It's a preserved example of a 10 year old 75,000 mile used car. Unlike today's cars that can go 200k mi., LBCs were pretty much all used up by 75k. From the red paint all over the engine, I suspect there may have been an engine rebuild at some point, but who knows. Otherwise, most of the original stuff that would make it special (like the rubber floor mats, convertible top, seat coverings, etc are trashed beyond repair. You just can't leave this car "as found" and expect it to look good. So you're in for a full resto. The only advantage to buying this car for big money (and it's a significant advantage, I admit) is if it's totally rust free and only requires minimal stripping and repair before being ready to shoot paint.

G

I may have to call BS on this one. Too many low activity bidders, one which shows 7 but 0% positive. Granted, I sold a set of NOS door panels for $3000 but this is crazy, especially when you could have bought the "same" car already stripped down, repainted and 80% completed for $9200. It just doesn't make sense. I love seeing old cars come out like this but not $17K worth.

AN5Sprite

Jedi Knight
The price is skewed and probably has nothing to do with the car or the market. The winning bidder has a feedback score of 7 and a total rating of 0% positive. Plus he jumped from 12k to 17,600 to win. I'm guessing he's a fraud and the car will be back up once the seller is done playing his games. That said, I would rather pay big up front to not have to deal with real nasty rot repair. Not that much though. Better to wait for another car or buy a restored example.

AN5Sprite

Jedi Knight
I may have to call BS on this one. Too many low activity bidders, one which shows 7 but 0% positive. Granted, I sold a set of NOS door panels for $3000 but this is crazy, especially when you could have bought the "same" car already stripped down, repainted and 80% completed for $9200. It just doesn't make sense. I love seeing old cars come out like this but not $17K worth.

What the heck is going on here Billy? The North & South seem to agree...:jester:

Last edited:

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
If the car indeed has 75k miles there will be rust. Even in SoCal.

bug_sixty

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
to your point... the dust hasn't settled...as far as money is concerned, **** if I was concerned about that I would be "investing" in BE frankly...

bug_sixty

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Opps, the word is wouldN"T .....We should start thread "What I've sunk into my Spridget(s) and just see a reality check...If I was looking for auto investing... heh wouldn't be here honestly...427 tri-power something or other would be it.... As far as my little hobby.....I've saved the receipts since the first bucket purchase...15k and counting... and today on flea bay maybe half of that and mine is a so called desert car.. very little rust...

ABfish

Country flag
If it's legit, it's part of the "barn find" craze, where a car with plenty of "patina" (read "dirt and neglect") is worth more than nice older restoration.

Classic Motorsports mag has had some interesting comments recently about patina and barn finds.