• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Riding today and clutch went out......

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
First check for fluid in the reservoir.
After that, maybe some more details on what car you have and how the pedal acted would help. Did it just flop to the floor, or feel like there was resistance but no release; or just refuse to move?

OP
D

dperry

Freshman Member
First check for fluid in the reservoir.
After that, maybe some more details on what car you have and how the pedal acted would help. Did it just flop to the floor, or feel like there was resistance but no release; or just refuse to move?

Sorry....that would help... 1972 TR6...pedal was short travel anyway....checked fluid level but later pumped pedal to get into 1st...drove home in 3rd .... wondering if booster went out

Bradhowesable

Freshman Member
Same thing happened to me and all I had to do was refill my reservoir with fluid and then bleed the lines.
Pump the clutch and if you get pressure built up it may be similar to my problems.

DanB

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
By "out" do you mean it failed to disengage? It sounds like that is what you mean and that would point to hydraulics first. If pumping the clutch pedal actually helped, rebuilding the cylinders may be in order. Look for signs of leakage around the master and slave cylinders. Have someone help you and watch the travel of the slave cylinder as the clutch pedal is depressed. If you see a good bit of movement there and the clutch still does not disengage it would mean mechanical problems inside the bell housing. There is a pin that holds the forks for the throw-out bearing and it is a common place for failure. It gets worn and sometimes breaks. It happened to me on the track at Mid-Ohio. I drove my TR4A all the way back to S. Charleston, WV with no clutch, timing stoplight changes, shifting without the clutch.

I hope it is your hydraulics.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
BlueMax The F1 Boys Are Riding In Style!!! Spridgets 5
Jer Wife wrote a song inspired by riding in the Midget ... Spridgets 4
M MGB young son riding in MGB MG 23
AngliaGT Went to Duncan Imports Today Spotted 5
AngliaGT In Check,VA Today Spotted 2
AngliaGT Today's Cars & Coffee Spotted 1
AngliaGT Today's Car Show Spotted 8
AngliaGT Saw These Today (This is FORD Country?) Spotted 2
JPSmit TR6 at lunch today Spotted 0
AngliaGT Mixture of Cars on My Drive Today Spotted 8
JPSmit Today's top tip - Rain X Restoration & Tools 3
DrEntropy Good video with Emmo and Lotus today Lotus 2
D Things I learned today. Spridgets 3
JPSmit things I learned today Spridgets 4
AngliaGT Saw These Today Spotted 8
AngliaGT At Today's British Car Club Meeting Spotted 7
AngliaGT On Today's Drive Spotted 0
AngliaGT At Today's Cars & Coffee Spotted 5
K TR2/3/3A I saw a 59 TR3 today with an aluminium windscreen! Triumph 5
AngliaGT Saw This When We Got Home Today Spotted 3
JPSmit Small gathering of club members today Spotted 6
AngliaGT At the British Automobile Club of Southwest Virginia Club Meeting Today Spotted 0
AngliaGT Club Meeting Today Spotted 1
AngliaGT Saw These Today - BMWs Spotted 6
AngliaGT Saw These Today Spotted 2
AngliaGT Saw These Today Spotted 8
Lin Big Birthday, today! Austin Healey 12
AngliaGT Cars & Coffee Today Spotted 5
AngliaGT British Car Club Picnic Today Spotted 2
AngliaGT At Salem,VA Cars & Coffee Today Spotted 0
AngliaGT Got Lucky Today - CHECK THOSE BOLTS! Spridgets 6
AngliaGT At the Local Car Show Today Spotted 5
AngliaGT MGB What Did You Do on Your MGB Today? MG 6
AngliaGT At an Autocross Today Spotted 7
JPSmit Today's question - vacuum advance Spridgets 2
lbcspinners New article today from Hagerty Media: the Austin-Healey Sprite Austin Healey 0
T Powertrain locked up three times whilst driving today - anyone have thoughts? Spridgets 15
charlie74 In Ann Arbor today... Spotted 1
Bayless Started adapting the datsun gearbox today Spridgets 46
AngliaGT Got a Lot of Waves Today Spridgets 3
AngliaGT Went to West Virginia Today [For about five minutes] Spridgets 2
Bob McElwee AHCA Notification Email Received Today Austin Healey 2
lbcspinners Interesting Jalopnik article on BEING TOUGH ON TODAY'S ROADS !! Austin Healey 7
S TR2/3/3A batteries today are as powerful ? Triumph 11
S Five Years Ago Today... Spridgets 7
Jim_Gruber Bugsy out and about - 77 degrees in Dayton today Spridgets 34
D gapless rings arrived today Austin Healey 1
A TR2/3/3A TR3 Gods were good to me, got pistons out of calipers today Triumph 1
I Took the car for a spin today...! Austin Healey 4
Jim_Gruber New Shoes, New Shoes Bugsy got to show off his new shoes today. Spridgets 6